Another Place

Posted by Peter Ireland on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:57 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Another place is a piece of modern sculpture by Sir Antony Gormley. It consists of 100 cast iron sculptures of the artists own body,which are spread out over 3 kilometers of coastline.Each figure weighs in at a hefty 650kgs and at a height of 189cms.
One of his other famous sculptures can be found here.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=233772&p=2232971&h ... h#p2232971

17mm 1/8 sec;   f/8;   ISO 100

Posted by:
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589

by Gary Briney on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:16 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Powerful image -- the shimmering foreground is amazing. The figure adds a great deal of course, however I have mixed feelings about the silhouetted stake at distant center. To my eye, it's a distraction, though I'm sure others will feel differently.
G. Briney

by Swissblad on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:25 pm
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
I really, really, like this - very powerful image - would be nice to view it LARGE.
Agree about the post in the background.....
Congrats on a great photo.

by Gary Gulash on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:12 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
I like this photo a lot Peter. You have broken a compositional "rule" by placing the horizon in the middle, but this rule needing breaking in this instance. If my math is correct there may be a sculpture every 30 m, is the vertical line at the horizon another sculpture?

by Robert on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
If I didn't know the little bit of back story of this image, I would be very intrigued about this place and "the person" standing there. As it is, I am still visually intrigued by this image. The balanced horizon line does work in this image. This is one time when this does work - I think visually there needs to also be an imbalance of another strong element like the man statue (at a 1/3 of the frame) to make the balance of the horizon line to work. The post sunset cloud and reflection colors add a great deal to this image as well.
Another interesting image from you Peter.

by Peter Ireland on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:25 pm
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
Gary Gulash wrote:I like this photo a lot Peter. You have broken a compositional "rule" by placing the horizon in the middle, but this rule needing breaking in this instance. If my math is correct there may be a sculpture every 30 m, is the vertical line at the horizon another sculpture?
Hi Gary,the vertical line in the distance is just a wooden post.maybe some type of marker?I am not sure how far apart these sculptures are,but they're definitely more than 30mtrs.Thanks for your comment

by Jeff Munoz on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:17 am
Jeff Munoz
Forum Contributor
Member #:01802
You captured the best of this place and put it together on this amazing image, I would love another extra element besides the statue, perhaps something stronger like a big rock... For the rest a great image overall.
Jeff Muñoz - Live the unique Photography Expeditions to Costa Rica with http://rainforestphototours.com

7 posts |