Dream Castles

Posted by sdaconsulting on Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:30 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
Probably my favorite image from this past week at the beach. There was a very talented sand castle builder with some amazing work, and I had the pleasure of photographing his work.

Two exposures, f/8 (minimum f/stop), Sony DSC-F717 + WA convertor 26mm equiv., blended in photoshop.
Matthew Cromer

Posted by:
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor

by NDCheryl on Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:17 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Matthew,

This is very creative and so cool. It looks like you had a 'magical' time at the beach.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Greg Downing on Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:32 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
This is very sweet! I am curious about the two exposures. Did you mask the water when combining the second exposure since it was a moving element?
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:45 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Wow, this is fantastic - both the photo and the sandcastle work. Please do tell us more about your technique for this photo.

by sdaconsulting on Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:46 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
Hi Greg! Glad you like it.

On this, basically only the sky was masked but not the water. I use two layers in photoshop, then use a soft brush to blend the layers using a layer mask. I find myself using this technique all the time with landscape images instead of a GND and find it greatly superior since I can customize the gradient. For example, in this picture the spire was not masked, which would not be possible with a physical ND filter.

Since I am using a digicam, I can get tons of DOF at f/8 so the shutter speeds don't get too slow. If I wanted to blur the water here I'd have to pull out my 3 stop ND filter.
Matthew Cromer

by Heather Forcier on Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:13 pm
Heather Forcier
Site Co-Founder
Member #:00003
This is so cool! All the elements work very well together, the castles, sky, and waves. I may try experimenting with the technique you mention.
[b]NatureScapes.Net Site Co-Founder
[url=http://www.hforcier.com/][u]Website[/u][/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/heatherforcier/photos][u]500px Gallery[/u][/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/117191412635501853092/][u]Google+[/u][/url][/b]

by Ken Cravillion on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:07 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Vey cool shot. Those castles almost look real! :)
Ken Cravillion

by thapamd on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:42 pm
thapamd
Regional Moderator
Member #:00084
A lovely, lovley image. One of the most original shots I've seen in a long time. There aren't many images I wish I would have taken...this, however, is one of them.
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap, but memories are priceless.

Mahesh (NSN 0084)

http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

by stevebein on Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:03 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
Just wow. What an opportunity and well executed!
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Paul Skoczylas on Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:03 pm
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
Excellent in all respects! The timing is particularly nice--these casltes aren't long for this world...

-Paul

by Rich S on Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:21 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Nicely done all around, light, timing and composition. Small nit: I would slightly burn in the bit of wave at the edge, but that's minor in a wonderful shot.

Rich

by Mary Dennis on Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:36 pm
Mary Dennis
Forum Contributor
This is a very enchanting image Matthew. It's not too difficult to imagine that these are real castles by the sea and you have taken the photo from a cliffside looking down. I love this! :)
Mary
NSN 0123

by Bob Ettinger on Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:04 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Matthew,

Well dope and really appreciate the explanation.
Bob Ettinger

by Lillian Roberts on Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:46 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
Very, very cool. I want to learn how to do that masking thing. :) Does that explain the slight halo effect around the near castle? IMHO that actually enhances the image's dreamlike quality.
Lillian Roberts
NSN Member #130

by sdaconsulting on Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:29 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
Lillian,

No the halo is there on the exposure as well, although I was sure it came from the masking. I'm thinking it is probably some weird flare from the gunk that got on my lens in the blowing salt spray and wiping it on my shirt instead of clean lens cloths.

I thought about removing it in photoshop with some burning, but decided to leave it there for now.

As for the masking technique, I cannot recommend it enough for any situation where you might have too much contrast. You basically take two or more exposures identical in every way except shutter speed. Then copy one on the other and add a layer mask (hide all or reveal all as desired). Then you use a soft-edged brush at 100% (or you can use less if you like) and paint on which areas in the layer mask where you want the bottom layer to show through (or the top one depending on how you do the layer mask and whether you are painting black or white onto the mask).

This is a very useful technique where you would use a GND or where you wished you could use a GND. I find it almost indispensible for making really nice landscape images that include whitewater where you often have 4 stops from your hottest whites and your surrounding scenery average luminance. Far better to have one exposure where the whites are totally under control and another where you expose the surroundings very well, leading to much richer and less noisy images in the shadow areas.

I use similar techniques all the time with adjustment layers (where the layer mask seems to be created automatically when you make the adjustment layer) for burning and dodging, changing color balance or saturation in part of the image, etc. Really learning layer masking has made a huge difference for me in my control of my final image and has make processing images so much faster and more efficient for me than before.

At some point I'll write up an article on this topic and see if it is helpful for anyone else.
Matthew Cromer

by Juli Wilcox on Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:25 am
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Lovely photo, Matthew. Your technique sounds interesting and useful! Might consider a small crop to remove the white object on the Left side.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

16 posts |