« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by ChrisStarbuck on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:12 am
ChrisStarbuck
Forum Contributor
I've tried everything I can think of to search for any forum threads on the Canon 5DS, and the "5DS" is always ignored because it's too short and therefore must be a common word that occurs too often to be useful.  Leaving me with nearly 12000 hits on "Canon".

I can't even search for "how to search", because the search ignores "how" and "to"; they're too short.

How can I structure a search for a camera model (or anything else) that's only 3 characters (or 2, like the Canon 6D)?

Is there a complete guide to searching the site that I've missed?
Chris Starbuck
[url]http://www.chrisstarbuck.com[/url]

by Carol Clarke on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:55 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
One example below, I used 'Advanced Search' under the 'Search the community' box by searching Photography Equipment for 'review of Canon 5DS'

Is this any help.....

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=256788&hilit=review+of+canon+5ds

You can of course search any individual forum in this way.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by ChrisStarbuck on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:46 pm
ChrisStarbuck
Forum Contributor
Thanks Carol. I had tried the "+" on the advanced search form, but had a space between the words like "+Canon +5DS", and it ignored the "5DS" as too short.
Chris Starbuck

by nclements on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:06 pm
nclements
Development Team
Member #:99999
One possible approach is to use Google and tell it to return hits specifically on naturescapes.net. Something like:

site:www.naturescapes.net "canon 5ds"

The above returned 11 results initially, 25 when I allowed it to show similar results. Removing the quotes around "canon 5ds" gave me more results, but still a manageable number.

The decision to not allow 3-character words was made several years ago. The reason is because there are about 2.5 million posts with nearly 500,000 indexed words. Adding in 3-character words more than quadruples that. (As it stands, there are about 31 million word-to-post relations indexed which is already unfortunately slow for searches on the hardware that NSN uses. Allowing 3-character words would send that number through the roof and would significantly slow down searches.)

The use of google might not be ideal but they have a much larger/faster infrastructure.

Hope this helps

by ChrisStarbuck on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:35 pm
ChrisStarbuck
Forum Contributor
nclements wrote:One possible approach is to use Google and tell it to return hits specifically on naturescapes.net. Something like:

site:www.naturescapes.net "canon 5ds"

The above returned 11 results initially, 25 when I allowed it to show similar results. Removing the quotes around "canon 5ds" gave me more results, but still a manageable number.

The decision to not allow 3-character words was made several years ago. The reason is because there are about 2.5 million posts with nearly 500,000 indexed words. Adding in 3-character words more than quadruples that. (As it stands, there are about 31 million word-to-post relations indexed which is already unfortunately slow for searches on the hardware that NSN uses. Allowing 3-character words would send that number through the roof and would significantly slow down searches.)

The use of google might not be ideal but they have a much larger/faster infrastructure.

Hope this helps
Thanks.  That gives me more options, and ideas for generally helping me with searches.  I've bookmarked this thread for future reference.
Chris Starbuck

5 posts |