All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by stevenmajor on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:13 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Greetings...
I've been printing for years but wish to start posting...and am grateful to have a place to do so with such accomplished company.
When I prepare my images for posting they take a big hit in image quality, so i assume I'm likely doing something wrong. I'm using MBP, ViewNX 2 and Noise Ninja. Is DPI adjustment important?  Should sharpening occur last?
What is a good workflow for best IQ from say a 200mb 16bit Tiff image  to post?
Thanks in advance.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:44 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
DPI is irrelevant for anything but print. An image can be a million DPI or 1 DPI, it will post the same way. It's only the pixel dimensions that matter like 800 pixels wide for non-members and 1200 pixels wide for paying members.

So from a 16 bit TIF, you would first resize it to one of those two dimmensions, convert the image to sRGB, sharpen, and then save as an 8 bit JPEG at the highest quality taht meets the maximum file size limits outlined in the site's posting guideleines. Here is a link to atutorial on how to do the uploads and what the size limits are:
http://www.naturescapes.net/information ... -tutorial/

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:17 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The link you posted is not correct, E.J. The info is different. Images must be no larger than 800 pixels on the LONG side and no more than 250kb for free members. For paid members, they can be 1280 wide and 1024 tall and 1mb or less. Unless things have changed, they don't have to be linked to a URL.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:33 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here's what it says to the side when you click on "Add a New Image":

"Add an Image 
You may upload an image directly from your computer or select a remote image by entering a URL link" 

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Greg Downing on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:44 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
This article may help:

http://www.naturescapes.net/articles/te ... sentation/

Two things to keep in mind:

1. If posting at 1280 the best quality will only be shown when the image is clicked on to see it actual size.
2. sharpening should always be applied as a last step and is highly dependent on image size.

To clarify the URL links etc. (not sure it's relevant to the question though) when using an image that is linked it will be copied to our server and presented the same as an image that is uploaded directly.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:25 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Greg Downing wrote:To clarify the URL links etc. (not sure it's relevant to the question though) when using an image that is linked it will be copied to our server and presented the same as an image that is uploaded directly.
The reason I mentioned not having to be linked to a URL is because under "Step 2" it says the following for non-paid members:

"FREE MEMBERS: Images must be linked to an existing URL on the internet and should not exceed 250 kilobytes nor should they exceed 800 pixels on the longest side."

That implies that the image must be linked to a URL.

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
SantaFeJoe wrote:The link you posted is not correct, E.J. The info is different. Images must be no larger than 800 pixels on the LONG side and no more than 250kb for free members. For paid members, they can be 1280 wide and 1024 tall and 1mb or less. Unless things have changed, they don't have to be linked to a URL.

Joe
Unless I'm missing something that's exactly what the linked page says!

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:01 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:The link you posted is not correct, E.J. The info is different. Images must be no larger than 800 pixels on the LONG side and no more than 250kb for free members. For paid members, they can be 1280 wide and 1024 tall and 1mb or less. Unless things have changed, they don't have to be linked to a URL.

Joe
Unless I'm missing something that's exactly what the linked page says!
I didn't state what I meant correctly. You had stated in your post, and I assumed you were referring to NSN since that was what stevenmajor was asking about:

"It's only the pixel dimensions that matter like 800 pixels wide for non-members and 1200 pixels wide for paying members."

The correct (different) sizes were on the link, as well as appearing when you click on the "Add a New Image" icon I mentioned above. In your original posting, I never saw any note about size limits just before the link. The incorrect info I was referring to in the link was about the URL, as I said above. That info was incorrect, not the size limits within the link. As long as stevenmajor reads the correct info, none of this matters at all. Sorry for not being more clear or coming across the wrong way!

Joe

by stevenmajor on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:41 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
THANKS for the help..

by Greg Downing on Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:08 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Sorry for the late reply - I believe that free members are allowed to upload directly from their computer and that information is old. We will fix that. If anyone cannot upload images whether a free member or not then please contact us using the contact link in the lower left footer or post something in the help forum.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

10 posts |