All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by DMcLarty on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:15 am
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
not often but every once in a while I click on the home page for NatureScapes.net instead of going right to the forums and galleries.  Once the home page loads it always seems to be spread out and the layout is scewed out of any real format. 

I have tried this on different computers and screen sizes over a long period of time and it always is the same.  

The side bar that has the news feed and twitter feeds is about 10 pixels too wide and thus bumps down the rest of the page content....Just wondering if others get the same when they load the home page.

doug
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by Tom Reichner on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:10 pm
Tom Reichner
Forum Contributor
I always access NatureScapes via the home page, and this does not happen with me at all.

In fact, the Twitter, FaceBook, YouTube, etc. icons are way out on the every edge of the window. There is a blank white margin between the edge of the window and the page content, and the icons you mention actually sit way out in the margin itself. It does not "bump into" any of the other content.

Perhaps if you just dragged your window out to be wider (occupying more screen space) the problems you are experiencing will go away.

FWIW I am using Safari as my browser.
Wildlife photographed in the wild

http://www.tomreichner.com/Wildlife

by DMcLarty on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:04 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
I use IE 8 and 11 and have tried all the tricks in the book  wide full screen, compaitbilty mode, in XPPro /Windows 7 /Windows 8.1...laptops/ 23 and 17 inche screens Ipad and others. Yes safari on the Ipad works just fine.

We also get a website error popup some times when cruising the forums.  I am on the website every day for hours just not logged on all the time.
I have a screen shot but can't insert it in the thread.

more less just wondering if others get the same

thanks
d

Lethbridge Alberta    
Twitter @DadRankin

by Gary Briney on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:16 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
DMcLarty wrote:...more less just wondering if others get the same...

Yours is the first report of the issue so far as I can recall.

I just opened the page several times in IE10. It looked completely normal each time, as it always has for me from my usual browser (Firefox.) A high percentage of NSN users are on FF by the way, and generally speaking, those on IE tend to see more quirky problems. Perhaps an add-on or toolbar is contributing to your problem.
G. Briney

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This usually indicates that you are running the browser in some magnified mode. Hit Ctrl/Command 0 or if that doesn't work Ctr/Cmmd + or - and after a few clicks one way or the other the layout should fall into place.

by George DeCamp on Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:03 am
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
DMcLarty wrote:The side bar that has the news feed and twitter feeds is about 10 pixels too wide and thus bumps down the rest of the page content....Just wondering if others get the same when they load the home page.

doug
Is that happening mostly with IE 8? Older versions sometimes will not render new code properly and do exactly what you describe. Been working on my site and went through that whole scenario and it was the older IE ( IE7 & IE8 at work) that was the problem. I am no expert and learning slowly myself but that was one observation I had in the last couple weeks of trial and error on my website.

by Greg Downing on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:39 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
You can upload a screen shot right here....click "post a reply" at the top of this page then it's the second to last button on the right in the toolbar - insert an image.

See screenshot below - it's the second icon from the right that looks like a picture.

FWIW Older versions on internet explorer are definitely not supported on NSN. IE is/was the most screwed up piece of software every created by man and it is hard enough to get any website to work properly on any new version. And as soon as one does accomplish such a monumental feat then all old versions are out the window.

My advice? Stay far far away from Internet Explorer and use Firefox, Chrome or Safari.

Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by DMcLarty on Tue May 12, 2015 10:13 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
some how some way it's all good now
thanks
doug
Lethbridge Alberta    
Twitter @DadRankin