All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:37 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I just sent Greg a message about an email I just received that "seems" to come from Greg but has a link "he" wants me to click on.  This is almost certainly something bad and is probably the result of someone getting onto Greg's PC or Naturescapes database and steeling contact info.  I'd advise everyone that might receive this or similar email to not click on it.  The text of the email is as follows:

[font=arial, sans-serif]I just uploaded a document under the name Untitled Document to your email via Google Doc. Please, [/font]Click Here

[font=arial, sans-serif]Greg Downing
www.NatureScapes.net
email: greg@naturescapes.net
[/font]

Again, do NOT click on the provided link.

Thanks,

Brian

by Charlie Woodrich on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:00 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Yep - just got the same thing.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:15 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I received it earlier this evening and PMd Greg. I did not click on the link. He replied that he was hacked.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:10 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Somebody spoofed the mail account, even I got this early this morning.

by Steven Major on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:27 am
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
Mr. Downing.....time to speak up?.    Please Inform Us.
Thank You

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:11 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I already informed you ;).
If you get an email from Greg or editors@naturescapes.net that wants you to click on a link, don't.

by Kim on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:03 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Earlier this week I kept getting a virus message when I logged on to this site. My system was advising not to view the site as it contained a virus. I did a full scan of my system and could detect nothing thankfully. Did anyone else get a similar message? If so is it fixed now.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:38 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The site was not infected with a virus.

by Brian Stirling on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Just wanted to say that this can happen to anyone and before long it will probably happen to everyone. There are many places that are attacked hundreds of times every minute of every day -- there are a lot of evil people and governments that have taken advantage of the internet for there own fun a profit.

Brian

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
If financial institutions cant stop this, we sure as heck can't ;)
I get phishing emails almost everyday that appear to be from some of the largest banks in the world and I suspect almost everybody does. If you don't it's likely that either your SPAM filter, junk filter, or your ISP is filtering them out.

by Kim on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:58 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
If as you say EJ this site has no virus why would I get a message saying it has? Is it just a false positive or did my virus protection detect the hacking activity?

I do not get any phishing or spam emails as my ISP screens them out thank heavens.

by George DeCamp on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:19 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
What? I just emailed him my credit card number because he sent me an email saying he was trapped in Europe with no money!

Well.... :wink:

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Kim wrote:If as you say EJ this site has no virus why would I get a message saying it has? Is it just a false positive or did my virus protection detect the hacking activity?

I do not get any phishing or spam emails as my ISP screens them out thank heavens.
Yes, probably a false positive or a corrupt virus definition table from your anti virus program or your browser which was likely corrected at the next update which, for browsers occurs in the background automatically almost everyday.  It happens.  If it were real we would have literally hundreds of people complaining about that and our hosting company would have trapped it anyways.

by Greg Downing on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:01 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
To All:

My gmail account was hacked and said emails were sent from my account. The hack lasted 5 minutes before I took my account back over and changed my password, checked all my security settings, then changed it again. It had nothing to do with NSN or our server as my email is totally off of our servers for this very reason. I was unable to reply to any email for 24 hours because of the mass of emails that were sent - I was unable to send any sort of warning to my contact list.

The NSN server has not been compromised in any way and is constantly monitored 24/7/365. In over 11 years we have never had a "virus" on the site but we have been the victim of other less dangerous hack attempts and phishing attempts. We have recently stepped up our monitoring since the large scale attacks on banks and other institutions have taken place in recent months. As of this post we are safe and secure and no viruses, phishing attempts or other problems.

FWIW The only time that I know of that we have ever had a trigger that sent off someone's virus or web monitoring alarms was when someone's avatar was pointing to their website, which was hacked or compromised.

Do note that there are 1000's of people every second trying to hack into websites and servers and it is a constant battle. We work very hard to keep NSN safe and secure every day.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Greg Downing on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:02 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
P.S. Please post this sort of thing in the help forum - not in "digital topics"

Moving this there now.

Thanks!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

15 posts |