All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 43 posts | 
by Robert on Tue May 06, 2014 12:36 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
Greg -

I'm not certain you're getting my point, so let me put this another way. I felt that your comment:
"If folks walk away when they are discontent with the site then their contribution was less about the community and more about them." 
(whether you intended to or not) came across as blaming the discontented as being self serving, that no-one could leave without being self serving and only about themselves. That meaning doesn't make any sense to me at all. Whereas I'm sure there are some who may have fit that description, my opinion is that most people go where they feel they belong and can be a part of a group. If they don't feel that, they will become discontented to some degree or bored and their participation fall off or leave.

I also stand by my comment about newcomers sometimes not getting much response (and implication that regulars get more responses). I have personally been the only one to offer technical comment on one such post to try and help the OP, with two other comments being of the opinionated type. As I indicated in my response to that poster I was not a tech expert and hoped others with more knowledge would chime in - but there was a lack of objective knowledge based comments given to the OP to help them. Like I said I thought that was sad, the ball was dropped. And this is not the only time I've seen that.

And I say these things not in judgment against you at all,  but to try and clarify these issues that are inevitable in all groups/communities. And I appreciate your willingness as administrator to enjoin a discussion of these issues from time to time as I think this is necessary as a "spring cleaning act" in groups.
(And yes spring IS on my mind a lot as it has been VERY late here in Michigan! :) )

Best,
Robert

by Woodswalker on Tue May 06, 2014 12:57 pm
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
Pradeep is right IMHO. How much do we need appreciation? A pro's feedback is much different. You are hired to shoot different assignments, sometimes with specific instructions on what is required. Other times you are simply expected to shoot it your own way then submit what you think are the best images. If an editor doesn't like your work, you are not rehired. That's your feedback. Plain and simple.

I can't speak for other pros here but for me, nature photography is special. It's pure enjoyment; feedback doesn't enter into it. I know when I've taken a good picture and I know the kind of wildlife behaviour pictures that make me happy. The payoff is the privilege of being in the natural world and the bonus is the anticipation of possibly capturing a great image.

The trouble with contests is that you begin to consciously or subconsciously change your shooting style from what makes you happy to a style that will get you published on a website.

A former moderator at a different site, I can say that the job is not for the thin skinned or faint of heart because no matter what you do, someone will find fault. I cringed every time someone posted a ho-hum image then asked forum members for feedback/constructive criticism but go to war when it arrived.

by Gary Briney on Tue May 06, 2014 12:59 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Robert,

Your point about newcomers is well taken. If/when you see that happen, please PM me.

Thanks!
Gary
G. Briney

by Robert on Tue May 06, 2014 2:22 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
Gary Briney wrote:Robert,

Your point about newcomers is well taken. If/when you see that happen, please PM me.

Thanks!
Gary

PM sent

Thanks,
Robert

by John Patrick on Wed May 07, 2014 1:10 pm
John Patrick
Forum Contributor
Very informative reply about the Editor's Pick and how it works. Too bad it wasn't in reply to the exact same question I posted in the NatureScapes.net Help subforum on April 15 that had zero replies.

Little things like ignoring posts add up.

John
--
Canon shooter

by Gary Briney on Wed May 07, 2014 2:00 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
In fairness John, the question (below) in your post in the Help forum. is rather broad. I expect most people who saw it were pretty much at a loss to answer, and expected you would not likely be happy with any reply.  It's the equivalent to asking "what makes an outstanding photograph?" which is a question so broad that a wealth of books have been written on the subject. The answer to the second question is that all images posted in the galleries are eligible for EP, so no guidelines are necessary, and I apologize for not telling you this sooner..
John Patrick wrote:So, what are the editors looking for? Any guidelines anywhere?

John
G. Briney

by Greg Downing on Wed May 07, 2014 4:24 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
John,

I'm sorry your question went unanswered. It's definitely rare for that to happen and I admit to not seeing it personally. I trust now that the question has been answered and I do apologize for missing it.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by John Patrick on Wed May 07, 2014 6:33 pm
John Patrick
Forum Contributor
Gary Briney wrote:In fairness John, the question (below) in your post in the Help forum. is rather broad. I expect most people who saw it were pretty much at a loss to answer, and expected you would not likely be happy with any reply.  It's the equivalent to asking "what makes an outstanding photograph?" which is a question so broad that a wealth of books have been written on the subject. The answer to the second question is that all images posted in the galleries are eligible for EP, so no guidelines are necessary, and I apologize for not telling you this sooner..
John Patrick wrote:So, what are the editors looking for? Any guidelines anywhere?

John
Perhaps broad, but Greg's post gives enough background to determine it: individual moderators nominate, Greg picks his personal favorites.  Now I can look at what's won in the past and see what he wants/expects.

As for guidelines, I wasn't sure if only paid members could win, or if there are expectations as to what details to provide (as in, winners must provide descriptions of location, subject matter, post processing, etc.).

I just thought that given the number of moderators here, someone would have at least taken a stab at answering, or maybe even providing the response you gave above.

If in doubt, ask for clarification.  That's better than ignoring.

John
--
Canon shooter

by John Patrick on Wed May 07, 2014 6:35 pm
John Patrick
Forum Contributor
Might I recommend actually replying to my post so that others who search might find an answer, and not a (seemingly ignored) empty post?

Thanks,
John
--
Canon shooter

by Gary Briney on Wed May 07, 2014 9:14 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
John Patrick wrote:Might I recommend actually replying to my post so that others who search might find an answer, and not a (seemingly ignored) empty post?

Thanks,
John
Done --- thanks for the suggestion.
Gary
G. Briney

by Gary Briney on Wed May 07, 2014 9:20 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
John Patrick wrote:...If in doubt, ask for clarification.  That's better than ignoring...
John,

If you don't get a reply when you expect, please PM one of the Moderators of the corresponding Forum. Moderators are sometimes out of contact in the field, so response isn't always as prompt as you might like. Please feel free to PM me at any time.

Gary
G. Briney

by OntPhoto on Fri May 09, 2014 3:04 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Now that we have your attention, any idea when Apple IOS devices will finally be able to send PM's on this site? Or make a new post in a forum? It's been over a year now and no response. Brave for asking?

by MND on Fri May 09, 2014 5:27 am
MND
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:Now that we have your attention, any idea when Apple IOS devices will finally be able to send PM's on this site?  Or make a new post in a forum? It's been over a year now and no response. Brave for asking?
What an excellent question. I'm eager to get an answer on that one myself. 

by Greg Downing on Fri May 09, 2014 7:27 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Hey guys -

That issue should have been fixed a while back. Please try again and let us know if that is not the case for you. It works fine for me on ipad, iphone etc.

Thanks!
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by nclements on Fri May 09, 2014 7:37 am
nclements
Development Team
Member #:99999
Greg Downing wrote:Hey guys -

That issue should have been fixed a while back. Please try again and let us know if that is not the case for you. It works fine for me on ipad, iphone etc.

Thanks!

I knew we should have made a huge announcement on the front page and hired a marching band....

by Gary Briney on Fri May 09, 2014 8:04 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
nclements wrote:...I knew we should have made a huge announcement on the front page and hired a marching band....
or maybe ask for beta-tasters :D
G. Briney

by MND on Fri May 09, 2014 5:43 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
I'm currently trying to reply to a test PM from OntPhoto but it seems to be stuck in my outbox.

by Greg Downing on Fri May 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Hi Mike - if a message is still in your outbox it simply means it was sent but it has not yet been opened by the recipient.
Greg Downing

by OntPhoto on Sat May 10, 2014 2:44 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Greg Downing wrote: 5. NSN has the BEST CHANCE to continue as a great resource for nature photographers in large part due to the fact that the people running it are not always spewing their own agenda in the forums and galleries and are not preaching "their way or the highway" sort of notions. You see this on some other sites but NSN is always opening and welcoming to new members, new techniques and differing styles.

This part I agree with and why I like the discussion forums here.  It is not "censored" so you're more than likely to read the "truth" about things here because people are more likely to speak up. If you are off in what you say, people will speak up and correct you.  Nice checks and balances in place.

by MND on Sat May 10, 2014 3:49 am
MND
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the explanation Greg.

Life is good for IOS users.

Thanks

43 posts |