Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 25 posts | 
by pdschu on Sat May 10, 2014 11:32 am
pdschu
Forum Contributor
Then there is the same problem on the iPad whether the text is typed or pasted it never shows up in the preview or post. One certainly could not blame Word for that problem. This is very frustrating. Surely there is a 12 year old somewhere that could fix this.
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by nclements on Sat May 10, 2014 3:24 pm
nclements
Development Team
Member #:99999
Gary Briney wrote:Nicholas,

Actually the table is the result of a conversion which occurs after the paste operation and the message is previewed. The example is an address header copied from an NSN PM, and it looks perfectly normal like a quote box after pasting into the editor box. However when the message is previewed, the preview displays the tags, and the formatted text in the editor box is magically converted to the table, which was a bit of a surprise to me! So the table example was the choice of the NSN software rather than mine. [edit -- By the way, the table does display properly within the editor, even though it's converted back to tags in Preview and the final submission. It's ironic that with this WSIWYG editor, what you see is not what you get.]

Gary
What needs to be understood is where things are being processed.

In the preview area (top of the screen after 'preview' has been clicked) the rendering is being performed by the forum software, phpBB.

The editor, on the other hand, is entirely within the browser, written in javascript. As such it renders the text in a completely different way and, in some cases, following a different standard.

So, when the table was pasted (an address header is formatted as a table and browsers are now unfortunately good at copying the format) the editor accepted the formatting and did its best. In the editor things are perfectly okay - the BBcode is translated correctly. But in the forum software there's never been support for the table structure. 

Another unfortunate point is that BBcode is not a true standard, so the editor's version of BBcode does not match the forum software's 100%. And when you consider that the previous editor required you to enter the and markup language directly (okay, buttons existed but the text still had the markup) I'd say it's quite a bit better.

by nclements on Sat May 10, 2014 3:29 pm
nclements
Development Team
Member #:99999
pdschu wrote:Then there is the same problem on the iPad whether the text is typed or pasted it never shows up in the preview or post. One certainly could not blame Word for that problem. This is very frustrating. Surely there is a 12 year old somewhere that could fix this.
Word was one example. The formatting issue is copy/paste. Don't use it.

As for text being typed or otherwise from an iPad, I don't understand. I've been using an iPad to type my recent responses. I've quoted responses, typed new responses and managed to see my responses in both previews and posts. It does require actually clicking inside the edit box before typing, but nothing really new there.

by pdschu on Sat May 10, 2014 5:35 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
This is another try to post from quick reply on my iPad.
Behold it now allows me to post whereas at the first post of this topic it did not. You must have fixed something in the interim. I admit I have not tried to post from the iPad since that original post. Thanks.
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by SantaFeJoe on Wed May 14, 2014 11:15 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another quirk I find is that when you try to edit a quick post from the iPad, e.g. correcting a spelling error, you get the message "An error has occurred. Contact support" when it is submitted.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

25 posts |