All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Royce Howland on Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:06 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Just a quick note to remind everyone that the image critique galleries have a banner at the top of every page, listing an Announcements link and a Forum rules link. In these, you can find things like the image size limits for posts made in the galleries. Generally speaking images must be at most 800 pixels on the long side; and at most 250KB in file size. Paid members are permitted to upload larger sizes. Please check the banners and full guidelines for the other details.

We have these limits in place for two reasons. First, to accommodate folks who are running with slower network connections and/or lower resolution monitors such as laptops or mobile devices. (There are more of each of these than many people may think!) Second, to level the playing field amongst all of the posted images, so that everyone has an equivalent opportunity to make their images look the best possible on the site, within reason.

These limits apply to all images posted in all forums. But they are particularly important in the 6 main image critique galleries, as it relates to choosing our Editor's Picks image selections. Occasionally we may let an over-sized image through if it was head-and-shoulders above all other photos, but generally one that is over-sized will not be selected as an Editor's Pick. Unfortunately we just don't have the time to constantly follow up with individual posters and request that they resubmit their images, especially given that the guidelines are clearly spelled out at the top of every page in the main image forums. So please do your best to comply with the size guidelines, and in return we'll do our best to showcase the top work posted to the site. :)
Royce Howland

by bobsmith on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:51 pm
bobsmith
Lifetime Member
Member #:00313
Royce Howland wrote: We have these limits in place for two reasons. First, to accommodate folks who are running with slower network connections and/or lower resolution monitors. (There are more of each of these than many people may think!) Second, to level the playing field amongst all of the posted images, so that everyone has an equivalent opportunity to make their images look the best possible given the constraints.

So the bottom line is that if you would like your images to be eligible for IOW (and therefore IOY), please stick to the guidelines. Thanks!

I've read this a couple times and don't understand - if the system accepts the image at 204K or 206K, why should you rule it out for an IOW consideration? I find myself saving in PhotoShop at <150K to keep the file under the 200K actual limit. 200K is a pretty darn small file by today's standards for anyone's connection! You must have a lot of files coming in above the 200K to make such a point and rule about it...

by Royce Howland on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:35 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
The system accepts larger files because it has not been coded to impose size restrictions in the forums. It would probably accept files of just about any size, for all I know. ;) We periodically review the size (and other) guidelines, and update them when it seems reasonable to do so. 200KB may seem small, but I guarantee that loading many pages with even 200KB files will take a painfully long time on a 56K dialup line or other "challenged" networks. Though the number of visitors running dialup has steadily declined, dialup is still used including by some of our moderators or other valued members. :)

Whatever number we picked, we'd still want to have a size limit and stick to it to level the playing field and prevent abuse. Unfortunately without software checks to enforce the guidelines, many people simply aren't aware of them, ignore them, cross-post image files prepped for or hosted on other sites that have different guidelines, etc. The purpose of the post above is to remind people the guidelines do exist, and we do apply them in certain specific cases such as evaluating candidates for IOW...
Royce Howland

by John Labrenz on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:41 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Unfortunately, I live in an area where I do not have access to high speed...so, I am one of those still on dial-up....and am thankful for the size restrictions imposed here.
Without them, I would only be viewing very few images in an evening of browsing.....

by jwhaide on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:58 pm
jwhaide
Forum Contributor
I resize my photos to 720 on the long side for my photo galleries on SmugMug then put a mat with my signature and a frame around them. I like the way this looks and the photo itself is under the 750 pixel on the long side limit. If that is the case and the file size is still under the 200k, would I be able to post my images this way or do I need to ditch the mat and frame to post here?
I will post one in the Flora and Macro section so you can see what I am talking about.
John in Hillsboro Oregon. Use Olympus E-30 and E-510s and accessories as well as SP-500 and XA. Semi-retired. http://www.jwhaidephoto.com

by Paul Skoczylas on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:48 am
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
Nothing wrong with a mat and frame, so long as the total size (including the mat/frame) is within the guidelines. If you overdo it, though, some people might comment that the space would be better used for the picture.

The picture you posted in the F&M forum is oversized. The short side is under the 750 limit, but the long side is well over 800 pixels.

-Paul
[url=http://www3.telus.net/avrsvr/]Paul's Website[/url] [url=http://paulsnaturephotos.blogspot.com/]Paul's Blog[/url]
[b]NSN 0284[/b]

by jwhaide on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:06 am
jwhaide
Forum Contributor
Thank you.. I will resize them for this forum then.. appreciate the quick response. Looking forward to participating here...
John in Hillsboro Oregon. Use Olympus E-30 and E-510s and accessories as well as SP-500 and XA. Semi-retired. http://www.jwhaidephoto.com

by DON HAMILTON JR. on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:28 am
DON HAMILTON JR.
Forum Contributor
Good Morning i signed up and joined as a member last night, however i can/'t post an image yet. It says you must be a paid for member to upload! Thks for some help here!
Regards:
Don
http://donhamiltonphotos.com/workshops.html Specializing in reasonably priced Instructional Photography Workshops & Tours.

by Greg Downing on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:57 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Hi Don - memberships are activated during business hours from 8:30 - 4:30 - so if you sign up in the evening you're activated the next day - generally they take up to 24 hours to activate as it's a manual process. That said you should be activated now and a welcome email was sent :)

Sorry for the confusion and welcome to NSN!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by chuckcars on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:49 am
chuckcars
Forum Contributor
Just to note your image guidelines posted here appear to be out of date. I see the guidelines listed in red under individual topics are 800 px and 250 Kb. Neither do I understand why an image is to be disregarded for IOW if over the 750 px limit. Possibly a correction is in order?
Best,

Chuck
A Nikon owner since 1955

by Royce Howland on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:12 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the note, update made. This thread was originally posted about 2.5 years ago, and as noted above its primary purpose was not to definitively state what the size limits are, but to remind folks about the importance of sizing images appropriately. The current size limits are always posted in the banners at the top of each image forum, and in the main site guidelines. Clearly we would not disqualify an image for IOW consideration if it met the guidelines that were current when the image was posted. :)
Royce Howland

11 posts |