All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by James W. Milligan on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:03 am
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
This is a re-post with added info. Lightroom will not install on my desktop. The problem is definitely with the desktop not the download of lightroom. For some reason something is blocking the install process and at the same time locks up the computer. Any ideas??? I'M getting very irritated :evil:

Jim

by Royce Howland on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:16 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Jim, I'm not sure there's enough info here or in the original post to debug this situation. The usual tips would involve disabling all virus checkers and so on, but I imagine you may have tried that already. Given LR's... "sensitive" nature, shall we say... I would further recommend ensuring that your Windows installation is fully updated with all recommended patches, and that your video card drivers are updated to the latest version. If you are running an nVidia display adapter and have the nView desktop manager running, disable it because it is known to interfere with LR.

If those ideas don't work you may be able to get some insight by opening the Windows Task Manager and selecting the process display tab before starting the LR install. Then see what processes are active at the time the system locks up; this may provide a hint about where the problem is happening.

Have you searched the Adobe LR forum for other reports of lockups during installation?
Royce Howland

by Royce Howland on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:22 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
I don't know if you have seen this troubleshooting page for LR. It has a list of things to double-check...
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgeb ... ode=simple
Royce Howland

by James W. Milligan on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:54 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Royce,

Thinks for the hints. Sorry I can't provide more info but my knowledge of the inner workings of a computer are at beat slim. All updates are set for auto so I would assume that has occurred as far as windows is concerned. I have no clue about the video card. I did managed to download LR to my laptop with out any problem I even burned a CD and tried the install form it but to no avail-same install problem. Thanks for the try.

Jim

by Royce Howland on Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
I wouldn't necessarily assume Windows is fully up to date, althought most likely it is with auto-update. If you open Internet Explorer and go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/, you'll get a wizard-like update process that will explicitly tell you if you need any updates from Microsoft. I always check that when in doubt.

Note that I am assuming you are running Windows XP Pro SP2. If it isn't SP2, or is some other form of Windows, this could be an issue.

If you have never updated your video card's driver and your computer is older than 6 months or so, then I think it is a safe bet you are not running the latest video driver. If the adapter is one from nVidia, this may well be causing you trouble. Unfortunately there's really no automatic way to update the video driver. You'll have to identify your card make & model, go to the manufacturer's web site to check for an update, download it if there is one, and install it. It's not difficult but will require some rummaging around to accomplish. I'd strongly recommend you check this out, or have a technical person check it for you.

You can see what display adapter is in your machine by right-clicking out in the desktop somewhere in empty space, and selecting Properties. This will bring up the Display Properties dialog box. Click on the Settings tab, then click the Advanced button down below. Now you have a bunch of tabs available, one of which should be Adapter. Click that and you will be told the make & model of your display adapter, and some version information. You can use this to figure out which manufacturer web site to go to and look for a driver update...
Royce Howland

by Wayne Nicholas on Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:43 am
Wayne Nicholas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00046
Jim,

Are you running any Norton products on your desktop? Have you tried to install with your anti-virus software turned off. This sounds like a bad idea, but it can easily be the problem, especially if it's Norton. If you're worried about doing this and you've already downloaded LR, disconnect from your modem and disable you a/v
software. Try to reinstall. If successful, restart your a/v software and re-connect to the internet. Hope this helps.
[b]Wayne Nicholas[/b]
[b]Nanpa Member[/b]
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=25][b]Texas Regional Moderator[/b][/url]
[color=blue][url=http://www.NicholasNaturePhoto.com][b]NicholasNaturePhoto[/b][/color][/url]
[color=blue][url=http://waynenicholas.naturescapes.net][b]Naturescapes Portfolio[/b][/color][/url]
[b]NSN 0046[/b]

by James W. Milligan on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:40 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Many thanks to all for the time and effort put forth addressing my problem. At this point no change. I have updated the video card installed from desktop, etc and I still have the problem. The interesting thing is I was able to download and install on my laptop. So it is definitely a problem within my desktop machine.

Thanks again

Jim

7 posts |