Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Scotty on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:32 pm
Scotty
Forum Contributor
I'm really liking LR and currently grinding through the learning curve, and had a question regarding libraries. I realize LR libraries are based on a database, and can't help wondering if folks are just working within the frame work of the one library or are you creating several libraries, that is to say what is your reasoning behind creating multiple libraries, and along these same lines, when it comes to deleting an image, it seems you would always want to delete the image from your disk as well as the library.

As with backing up our photos, I sure need to be backing up these libraries as well with all the important data in them.

by Kanon on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:16 pm
Kanon
Lifetime Member
Member #:00658
I use just one library, becomes hard to keep track of which library is matched up vs which folder structure or backup DVD/CD.

LR has a backup functionality so if you have a NAS or external harddrive you can just configure LR to write the backup there.

If nothing else you can use backup software to copy the database to a DVD or external media.
Andreas Kanon
[url=http://www.kanonphoto.com]www.kanonphoto.com[/url]

by Eric Chan on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:49 pm
Eric Chan
Forum Contributor
Member #:01107
Scotty, I'm just starting myself but I generally prefer to keep one library per disk, instead of one humongous library. These days I'm using 500 GB drives, so one drive can store a healthy # of images + a library for those images.
Eric Chan
[url=http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/photos/]MadManChan Photography[/url]

by Steve Fines on Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:00 pm
Steve Fines
Lifetime Member
Member #:00984
Hello,

Peter Krough, a great resource on digital asset management, has said repeatedly on his forum that there were quite a few features of the Library that just didn't make it into v1.0. He's not sure if they will be in v1.1 or 2.0. But the library management issue is certainly one.

Luminous Landscape has some work-arounds posted, but there are several parts of the metadata and picture history that get lost when you merge libraries currently. Without a single library some of the search funtionality is lost. As well, it is hoped that in future version there will be a built in functionality to check that the original files are intact for each thumb that LR has built. I don't know if this will support multiple libraries.

Anyway, this is to say that all it's functionality isn't there yet - hopefully soon..

by AndrewC on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:50 pm
AndrewC
Forum Contributor
So whereabouts do you select where to keep the library/database ? LL/MR workarounds seem somewhat arduous and I'm not sure they work with windows - isn't there a simpler way ? It's the one thing that is stopping me from really getting involved with LR - I don't want my database under \My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom
Andrew

Is that an accurate dictionary ? [i]Charlie Eppes[/i]

http://www.tirpor.com

by Scotty on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:47 pm
Scotty
Forum Contributor
Andrew, prety simple, just look under Preferences, and you can browse to folder you want LR to access your library at during startup.

by vbpholaw on Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:06 pm
vbpholaw
Forum Contributor
Kanon wrote:I use just one library, becomes hard to keep track of which library is matched up vs which folder structure or backup DVD/CD.

LR has a backup functionality so if you have a NAS or external harddrive you can just configure LR to write the backup there.

If nothing else you can use backup software to copy the database to a DVD or external media.
I am just starting out with LR, but have not figured out how to do a back-up of folders/collections already in my LR library to my external HD (I'm not talking about exporting individual images, but moving entire folders/collections to the external HD while maintaining the LR management of those images). Using the LR help feature I have been unable to find out how to do it, although there are references to being able to do so (there is information on creating a back-up at the same time images/folders are imported, but not on doing so if the folders are already in LR). Any help you, or anyone else, could provide would be greatly appreciated as I need to move the images off my laptop HD.

Thanks.

by Mark on Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:48 pm
Mark
Forum Contributor
Mark - create a new folder on your external HD using LR - and then just drag and drop the folders you want to the new one within LR. All LR management then stays in place, but only with the images in the new location.
Mark

by AndrewC on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:49 pm
AndrewC
Forum Contributor
Scotty wrote:Andrew, prety simple, just look under Preferences, and you can browse to folder you want LR to access your library at during startup.
I'm having a jellyware crisis here - under preferences you can browse to an existing library to be selected at startup, but that is not the same as saying "I want my library to be created here". I guess I can copy the entire exisitng Lightroom folder to a new location and then search for thru preferences, seems a but clunky.
Andrew

Is that an accurate dictionary ? [i]Charlie Eppes[/i]

http://www.tirpor.com

by vbpholaw on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:49 pm
vbpholaw
Forum Contributor
Mark wrote:Mark - create a new folder on your external HD using LR - and then just drag and drop the folders you want to the new one within LR. All LR management then stays in place, but only with the images in the new location.
Thanks Mark. I'll have to try it. In doing this I assume LR will need to copy the photos to the external HD when the folders are moved to the new folder, as the images will not already be there. Moreover, once that's done, I further assume that one could then delete the folders on my laptop to clear space on that HD while retaining the new folder on the external HD, without LR losing the location of the photos.

One more quickie (I hope): I assume that I can do the above and in the process create sub-folders under the new external HD folder. For example, I have numerous separate folders from a recent trip to China (e.g., different folders for each day). If I move all those folders into a new folder named "China" on my external HD, will each of the individual folders remain under that new folder name, or are all the images from those folders moved to the new folder without retaining their previous folder groupings?

Thanks again for the help. One might have thought Adobe would have thought to include such useful information when one does a "help" search for backing up folders or the like, but I could not find it if it's there.

10 posts |