All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Karl Egressy on Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:15 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I recently updated DXO PhotoLab Elite 4 to 6, the latest version.
The average transfer time to Photoshop CS5 was less than one minute with Elite 4.
With the new version it is over three minutes time. 
Current CPU is Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.8Ghz.
Would be worth to replace the CPU to Intel Core i5-9600K @3.7 Ghz.
Both goes into the 1151 socket of the motherboard. 
I won't change the motherboard as it is a lot of hustle, so I limited to the replacement of CPU.
Would it make a big difference in speed or just a little maybe 10-25 percent.
Officially the current CPU cannot be overclocked and it is not recommended to do some tweak.

by photoman4343 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:36 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Karl, I cannot answer your question. I can offer an observation as I use DXO -PL6 Elite too.

Your issue might be more than just the CPU. Your graphics card may be impacting things too. When I Export a file to NIK under PL6 it seems to take more time. But that time is impacted (I think) by what Noise reduction option I select. PL6 Elite has an advanced version of Deep Prime. If that is getting selected when you export to Photoshop, that may be your problem. Check out the RAM on your graphics card and see what minimum standards are listed for the Graphics card under PL6.

My laptop details are:
Device name LAPTOP-GUQD6210
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.5 GB usable)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB
Joe Smith

by Karl Egressy on Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:37 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
photoman4343 wrote:Karl, I cannot answer your question. I can offer an observation as I use DXO -PL6 Elite too.

Your issue might be more than just the CPU. Your graphics card may be impacting things too. When I Export  a file to NIK under PL6 it seems to take more time. But that time is impacted (I think) by what Noise reduction option I select. PL6 Elite has an advanced version of Deep Prime. If that is getting selected when you export to Photoshop, that may be your problem. Check out the RAM on your graphics card and see what minimum standards are listed for the Graphics card under PL6.

My laptop details are:
Device name LAPTOP-GUQD6210
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.5 GB usable)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB
Thank you Joe. You saved me some money and some trouble. I just switched back from DeepPRIME XD to DeepPRIME and the transfer time went buck below one minute, just like with DXO PL4. If I ever need the XD version as the image is too noisy then I can use the XD. No upgrade of CPU needed as of now.

by photoman4343 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:32 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Karl, I am glad my suggestion helped you. Topaz AI users my be encountering the same issue-- the graphics card installed might not be what AI need.
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It will definitely help help but you might need to check if the motherboard needs a firmware update to support the processor. It won't be a panacea though. The i5, especially older generation processors such as both of these are just slow compared to an i7 or i9 due to not supporting multiple threads per core. I don't use DXO so I don't know how well they utilize the GPU but a new graphics card such as an nVidia 3700, 3800, 3900 might give you a much bigger performance improvement. I went from a 2060 level performance card to a 3900 and the difference is mind boggling in Topaz AI applications and also in Helicon Focus. In some situations operations take less than 1/10 the time.

5 posts |