« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by P.W.Post on Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:27 pm
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
I have a SanDisk Extreme Pro CF Express Type B card that I am unable to download to the desktop of my MacBook Pro. It contains images from my recent trip Borneo. The card mounts to the desktop via a Lexar RW550 card reader, but when I try and download the card to my computer the folder appears on the desktop empty without any images. When I put the card in my Canon R5 it shows there are images on the card. Any suggestions? Should I try and download the card directly from my camera? I don't want to try anything that might erase my irreplaceable images from the card.

Both Lexar and San Disk weren't of any help. They suggested I take the card to a data recovery place. 

Peter

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Definitely try downloading the card from the camera but this may produce the same problem. I always shoot with both cards recording the same thing in case of an issue like this so if you are doing that, use the other card. If that still doesn't work, any of the data recovery software out there should easily get the images back. SanDisk makes a recovery package available to users - I believe it is called RescuePro and many of their cards, especially the higher grade ones should have come with an activation code.

by P.W.Post on Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:52 pm
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J.

I will try downloading from the camera. If that fails I will try the SanDisk recovery software which I had forgotten about. The Tech Support person at San Disk failed to mention it! He told me use an independent recovery company. The recovery Software from Lexar only works with less than 4 GB of data! The first Tech Support person I spoke to at Lexar didn't know this and had me try their software which off course didn't work. I will let you know what happens.

I only shoot to one card in the camera. My understanding is that shooting with two cards simultaneously slows the write speed to the cards. Maybe you could elaborate on that?

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:01 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Out of curiosity, have you previously downloaded images from that same camera and opened them successfully?

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:54 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
P.W.Post wrote:Thanks E.J.

I will try downloading from the camera. If that fails I will try the SanDisk recovery software which I had forgotten about. The Tech Support person at San Disk failed to mention it! He told me use an independent recovery company. The recovery Software from Lexar only works with less than 4 GB of data! The first Tech Support person I spoke to at Lexar didn't know this and had me try their software which off course didn't work.  I will let you know what happens.

I only shoot to one card in the camera. My understanding is that shooting with two cards simultaneously slows the write speed to the cards. Maybe you could elaborate on that?
It depends on the camera, in the case of my Sony's, as long as the two cards are of the same speed, there isn't a slowdown as it has a dual pipeline.  With as big as today's buffers are, even if it does slow it down some, it might not matter and certainly is an extra layer of protection.

by Ed1946 on Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:16 am
Ed1946
Forum Contributor
Have you kept your Mac OS software updated.  I’ve found that Apple has updated protections that recently kept me from using updated apts from accessing drive. I’ve had to go into system settings, permissions to allow full disk access to get some apts to work and files to move.  Just some things else to consider. Also check your virus protection software too. On trips every evening I make a back up copy to an external hard disk for redundant copies

by P.W.Post on Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:45 pm
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
Other identical cards of the same type, brand, size, etc. from the same trip work. I tried RescuePRO Deluxe which is the free recovery program that comes with the SanDisk cards. The people at the lc-tech have been very helpful guiding me through the process trying different things, but the program is unable to recovery the files. I am about to mail them the card. They they don't think it is very serious, from what they can see thus far, and that they will probably be able to recovery the photos for the minimum fee. Will let you know what happens.

Peter

7 posts |