Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:09 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
... in about 18 hours:

• Reduce editing time with Smart Adjustments

• Cull images faster with automatic group view, rating and tagging, and instant browsing

• More control over editing with Layers in Styles

• Changes to Capture One Live that allow for better reviewer management, plus free version now gives everyone the chance to always have a Live session to use

Hoping for some additional surprises but if that's all there is, unless the Smart Adjustment tool really works magic, it seems like a very minimal upgrade but if you want support for new lenses and cameras you'll still need to upgrade.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It’s out now and for nature photographers this version brings very little other than some housekeeping features. The smart adjustments requires a human face to be in the image in order for it to work properly. I am very underwhelmed by this release as there is absolutely nothing for me in this release other than the promise of lens and camera profiles that aren’t in the older version.

by Tom Robbins on Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:08 pm
Tom Robbins
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It’s out now and for nature photographers this version brings very little other than some housekeeping features.  The smart adjustments requires a human face to be in the image in order for it to work properly.  I am very underwhelmed by this release as there is absolutely nothing for me in this release other than the promise of lens and camera profiles that aren’t in the older version.
Yep, at least the learning curve to this new version will be extremely shallow. Always a silver lining somewhere if you really search for it.

by WJaekel on Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:42 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I fully agree with E.J. The new version is extremely disappointing for nature photographers. It looks like they incleasingly just focus on wedding and studio photographers. The smart adjustments are worthless for other motifs not including faces. I have been using CaptureOne since v1  and upgraded every new realease up to v 21. For the first time, I had skipped v 22 because the new HDR and Pano functionalities are pretty rudimentary compared to the competitors. Apart from that, v22 already didn't offer much over v21 for nature photogs. At least, I was hoping for a better and more flexible implementation of HDR and Pano in v23, - not to mention other useful tools and progresses, such as the long- demanded History, AI etc. The clock adjustments may be nice if you use several cameras but that alone won't justify the price of the upgrade for me.
So I won't spend the money for v23 and will stay with v21 as long as possible. To my regret it's probably time to look elsewhere after decades of using C1 once newer cameras aren't supported anymore  

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
WJaekel wrote:I fully agree with E.J. The new version is extremely disappointing for nature photographers. It looks like they incleasingly just focus on wedding and studio photographers. The smart adjustments are worthless for other motifs not including faces. I have been using CaptureOne since v1  and upgraded every new realease up to v 21. For the first time, I had skipped v 22 because the new HDR and Pano functionalities are pretty rudimentary compared to the competitors. Apart from that, v22 already didn't offer much over v21 for nature photogs. At least, I was hoping for a better and more flexible implementation of HDR and Pano in v23, - not to mention other useful tools and progresses, such as the long- demanded History, AI etc. The clock adjustments may be nice if you use several cameras but that alone won't justify the price of the upgrade for me.
So I won't spend the money for v23 and will stay with v21 as long as possible. To my regret it's probably time to look elsewhere after decades of using C1 once newer cameras aren't supported anymore  

Wolfgang
Well for me, as a Fuji and Sony shooter, Capture One is significantly superior to the alternatives so I would not even consider switching, not to mention my proficiency level with C1 compared to having to learn something else…

by WJaekel on Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:18 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote: Well for me, as a Fuji and Sony shooter, Capture One is significantly superior to the alternatives so I would not even consider switching, not to mention my proficiency level with C1 compared to having to learn something else…
I believe that my experiences and skills in C1 are much better, too, compared to DxO or LR - after using CaptureOne for almost 40 years. I also judged C1 always to be superior for detail and colors up to now. That's why I would regret to switch. Nevertheless, from what I've seen from the excellent tutorials and results by Greg Basco & Keith Bauer and others, LR has significantly improved and expanded the options, too. But then there's the subscription route I always have refused to go ..... DxO/PureRaw is also pretty good. So I think both alternatives have caught up at some point in the meantime and all have their strengths and weaknesses. I can understand your point, of course. In fact a switch would require a time-consuming learning curve.
That said, I've just seen that my C1-version 21 doesn't support my relatively new Canon R3 - I'd need  C1-22, at least. So I have to decide if I bite the bullet to upgrade once again - in contradiction to my statement above, though C1-23 basically offers nothing for nature photographers compared to the previous version C1-22 and not much over C1-21. This means that you pay € 220.- just for the support of the new camera and you're hooked every time you invest in a new body no matter if a future release is worth it feature-wise.

So even if I come to the conclusion to upgrade one more time for now, I doubt that I will continue to pay the increasing price every year just for the support of an optional new camera  - if on the other hand C1 furthermore focuses primarily on the wedding, studio and fashion community and increasingly neglects useful advancements and progress for nature photographers.

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:03 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wow 220 euros for the upgrade, my upgrade was $169 USD on the early bird special they offered but maybe it was more for you since you upgraded from 21 to 23 where I upgraded from 22 to 23...

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:36 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Wow 220 euros for the upgrade, my upgrade was $169 USD on the early bird special they offered but maybe it was more for you since you upgraded from 21 to 23 where I upgraded from 22 to 23...
Not much difference really. Early discount was 20%, so that means about $212 regular price. 220 euros is very close to $220.
Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Wow 220 euros for the upgrade, my upgrade was $169 USD on the early bird special they offered but maybe it was more for you since you upgraded from 21 to 23 where I upgraded from 22 to 23...
Not much difference really. Early discount was 20%, so that means about $212 regular price. 220 euros is very close to $220.
Joe
Regular price is $199

by DChan on Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:14 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
archfotos wrote:I literally can not figure out Capture One's product line.  Want to take advantage of the holiday sale but am lost. One price says $179 and states I can upgrade at reduced price. I sign in to upgrade and see a higher price - plus I don't see any holiday sales???  Any insights for those who have purchased recently?  (I do realize my upgrade may be a bit dated Sony version 12). Is there a Sony only version anymore?
I guess my confusion comes from if a normal price is $199 a 40% holiday sale should be $120, is there a discount code I'm missing?

Yeah, very expensive. For me it's CAD 275, full price is more than CAD 400.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
They just added a7r5 support in 16.0.1

by WJaekel on Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:07 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Well, it's been the same in Europe, too. To be polite, their pricing has become absurd and inappropriate, at least.  If you missed the pre-release promotion - or didn't want to pay blindly before knowing the - actually minor - improvements of v23, there was no discount of the regular upgrade anymore at Black Friday in the account. Instead, the price of the upgrade was unchanged and even more than buying a new license at BF  as displayed in the screenshots of the OP !!  So their statement "Reduced price every time you upgrade if you have a license"  is not true. It's insulting being charged more for the upgrade than i.e. a new user pays for his first license - not to mention the minor improvements of the recent version  At first sight, the only "discount" for existing users was the optional addition of the so-called "Expert Styles package" containing 3 bundles of pre-settings - primarily addressed to fashion and product shooters. Even more absurd, you had to pay a bit more for the upgrade without that questionable Styles Bundle as it's also shown above. To screw up the long-existing owners of the perpetual license even more - there was a discount/saving of around 130 €  for the switch to the annual subscription.

In summary, it's for these kinds of greedy and shady practices that Adobe was critized for in the first place. As it looks to me for some time now, CaptureOne is pushing toward add-ons (Styles) and specifically toward subscription. Hopefully I'm wrong but I expect them to drop the perpetual route in the near future to follow Adobe. Their excellent engine and the perpetual license model have been the main reasons for me to stay with C1 for decades up to now. In the first years, their customer service was great, too. I once had even gotten a phone call from their headquarters to solve a bug. But that was 20 years ago and unthinkable nowadays, of course. In recent times there are lots of complaints of ignorance and arrogance in their support forum instead.

After struggling with the decision, I had bitten the bullet to pay the price for the upgrade a few weeks ago because of the support of my R3. But as said in my previous posts, -  if  C1's policy, pricing and move continues in the present manner, it will be game over for me after C1-v23 - maybe I'll need to look at DxO then and accept the learning curve.

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
WJaekel wrote: Hopefully I'm wrong but I expect them to drop the perpetual route in the near future to follow Adobe. Their excellent engine and the perpetual license model have been the main reasons for me to stay with C1 for decades up to now. In the first years, their customer service was great, too. I once had even gotten a phone call from their headquarters to solve a bug. But that was 20 years ago and unthinkable nowadays, of course. In recent times there are lots of complaints of ignorance and arrogance in their support forum instead.
They promised to always have the perpetual license available but that was when they were owned by Phase One outright rather than split off as a seperate company as they are now.  Of course they never said that they wouldn't make it painful and expensive to go the perpetual license route :(

by DChan on Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:37 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
And now, they're changing the ways they charge us:

"Alongside this, we will also be making changes to our perpetual licenses from February 1, 2023. Here’s what’s changing:
   New perpetual licenses will include updates with bug fixes until the next version, but new features released after purchase will not be included.
   Upgrade pricing will no longer be available and will be replaced with a new loyalty scheme. More details will be announced on February 1, 2023...."

Check your email.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Here's an FAQ on how things are changing - the more I read it, the less of a major change this is to me:
https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us ... 8068628637

Basically what is changing is that they are moving away from an annual upgrade cycle, usually in the 4th quarter. In the past, they would issue updates with new features a couple of times per year that were no additional cost if you had the latest version. They will no longer be doing this. So if you want new features, you will need to upgrade to the newest version at some yet to be specified cost after it is released.

My only question that has not been answered is if the maintenaince updates, which will still be issued between versions, will include new camera and lens profiles for gear that comes to market between versions.

by DChan on Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:12 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
My only question that has not been answered is if the maintenaince updates, which will still be issued between versions, will include new camera and lens profiles for gear that comes to market between versions.
My guess is: no.

It seems to me basically they'll fix the version you have, but they will not add anything new to it.

16 posts |