« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:32 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I've used the Colormunki Display w/ Xrite puck for calibrating my monitor for many years and have been satisfied, but Datacolor was offering a sale on its Spyder X Elite the other day so I sprang for it.  I recalibrated my monitor with the Spyder and have noticed there is a large difference in brightness between the two programs.

Before recalibrating, I always do a reset to base factory settings first.  I also always set my monitor @ 100 candelas brightness during the recalibration process.  Using Colormunki w/ Xrite puck that requires setting my monitor brightness at 23 for it to read 100 candelas.  With the Spyder x Elite, I had to set my monitor brightness to 15 to read 100 candelas.

What gives with that?  

I turn off all ambient lighting options on both programs and use the identical conditions every time while calibrating.  I just recalibrated using both programs once again and the same thing happened - 15 vs. 23.

I checked the actual color calibrations and they were (for all practical purposes) identical.  To check the colors, i used an Xrite Colorchecker and set up a profile, then opened the file in ACR, chose that profile and saved the image.  I then checked that image using both Spyder and Colormunki calibrations.  I checked four miscellaneous colors (the same misc. colors for each) Here are the readings below:

With Spyder calibration     With Xrite calibration
Gray            185                                 185
                   183                                 183
                   186                                 186

Med. Blue     130                                 131
                   126                                 126
                   226                                 226

Red              241                                 241
                   99                                   101
                   108                                 110

Green           136                                 137
                    212                                 212
                    118                                 118

So, the calibrations from either are excellent, but I still can't figure out why the brightness is so different.  I would appreciate any input or suggestions as to why this difference is occurring.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:14 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Is one set to adjust automatically for ambient brightness and the other not. that would give you a significant difference.

by Bill Chambers on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:45 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Is one set to adjust automatically for ambient brightness and the other not.  that would give you a significant difference.
No, they are both set identically.  I did both calibrations at the same time, one right after the other.  So far, I have done three dual calibrations on three different days, one right after the other, under identical conditions, using identical settings with the identical results each time.  

The color calibrations are basically identical to each other, but the brightness difference is a bit concerning.  Currently, since the color calibration was the same, I'm still using my Colormunki Display over the Spyder since my prints work perfectly at it's brightness setting of 24.

Can I assume you didn't have this issue when you changed over?
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I use the Spectraview for my workstation and SpyderX on my mac and laptop. I've never used Colormunki.

by ChrisRoss on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:19 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
The color munki is pretty old isn't it? I know my old puck stated going off in calibration as the filters used fade with time and unevenly. It measures colour by the difference in brightness when measured through each of the filters it has. It's possible the brightness measurement is impacted by this as well. Newer pucks I am told use dichroic filters which are less prone to fading.

The problem you have in deciding is that with two pucks giving two different answers you don't know which is right, a third puck would possibly help confirm?

In any case I see two options - first keep using the colormunki, second use the new Spyder and set the brighness using that to be the same as what you calibrated to using the Colormunki. You report the difference between the two is consistent so adjust the the monitor to 15 and record what luminescence the Spyder reports at 15 and use that as your target with the Spyder. I suggest this as it produces a good print match. I suggest using a new luminance target rather than keeping on using a setting of 15 as your display may fade over time.

The other thing to check is use a blower to clean the window on the new Spyder. A speck of dust in the wrong spot could cause the the Spyder to read low and require the monitor to be brighter to meet the target. I'd be inclined to find a way to use your new puck like I suggested as the filters in the color munki will eventually fade.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

5 posts |