Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Fri May 20, 2022 10:21 am
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto
Forum Contributor
I'm looking for a mouse that doesn't require physically sliding the mouse around and will work well navigating around in Photoshop
Thanks
http://www.gon2foto.net (current site)   
The grandeur of nature is God's glory.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 20, 2022 10:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A mouse by definiton is something you physically slide around. Alternatives that you don't slide around would be a trackball, a touchpad, or a tablet but the tablet requires you to move around a pen. Personally I find a trackpad difficult to use in PS for precision editing. My choice would be either something like a Wacom tablet (expensive) or a precision trackball like a Logitech MX Ergo.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat May 21, 2022 8:46 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I use one like this with LR and for general use. It sometimes gets tiresome on the thumb, but is usually pretty fast and I like the scroll wheel on top. I do go back and forth with a regular wireless mouse because of the thumb issue, but that may not be a factor for you. I do like the small footprint that it takes, as compared to a mouse. I’m sure that it will work the same with PS.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Trackma ... B00005NIMJ

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ivan rothman on Sat May 21, 2022 6:46 pm
ivan rothman
Forum Contributor
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto wrote:I'm looking for a mouse that doesn't require physically sliding the mouse around and will work well navigating around in Photoshop
Thanks
I find using a mouse that does physically slide around works far better for me in Photoshop or Lightroom than the alternatives such as a trackpad opt trackball.  And I've never been able to get the hang of a tablet or pen, although others have mastered this technique.  For me, I've always used a mouse, such as the Apple Magic mouse but have never been thrilled by it.  I recently purchased the Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac and so far I have been very happy with it.  Much better for me than the regular mouse I was using.  It is built ergonomically to keep your hand in good, comfortable position.  It has multiple scroll wheels and buttons which are customizable. In fact you can customize them specifically for programs like Photoshop and have a different customization for Safari or Word.   And when moving the mouse I find that it tracks more easily than my previous Apple mouse.  The only downside that I see so far, is that it is on the bulky side if you are using it for travel.

by ivan rothman on Sun May 22, 2022 6:39 pm
ivan rothman
Forum Contributor
Neil Vanderwolf wrote:
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto wrote:I'm looking for a mouse that doesn't require physically sliding the mouse around and will work well navigating around in Photoshop
Thanks

Maybe try using a mouse that is made more for gaming with a high DPI.  I use a Logitech G900 and can move my cursor across the 4K screen while only moving my mouse less than two inches. This high 'sensitivity' may take a bit to get used to but it definitely makes getting around your screen much faster/easier.

This works with non-gaming mouse also.   With my Logitech MX Master 3 mouse, I keep the Pointer Speed slider at the mid point and the mouse is quite lively and it takes only 2-3 inches of mouse movement to traverse my 32-inch 4K monitor from left to right ends.   If I move the slider all the way to the right, then I can move across the monitor with with perhaps an inch of movement of the mouse.

by hullyjr on Wed May 25, 2022 1:05 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
I use a Logitech ERGO M575 for PS & LR. However, given Adobe's love of scattering functions across your window, I question if mine is any better/faster than a mouse. I still get carpel tunnel syndrome with this device but the roller ball is just easier for fine movements. I will take a look at the Logitech MX Master 3 mouse.
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by SantaFeJoe on Mon May 30, 2022 12:14 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
hullyjr wrote:I use a Logitech ERGO M575 for PS & LR. However, given Adobe's love of scattering functions across your window, I question if mine is any better/faster than a mouse. I still get carpel tunnel syndrome with this device but the roller ball is just easier for fine movements. I will take a look at the Logitech MX Master 3 mouse.
The pointer speed can be adjusted in the control panel to move across the screen faster. I just adjusted mine and the difference really helped to reduce thumb movement with the ball. Now I'm much happier using it. The model I'm using is a wireless M570.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ChrisRoss on Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:34 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
The choice of a pointing device tends to be a very personal thing and what works great for some, others will hate. It would help to know what prompted the OP to want an alternative to a mouse. I gave away my mouse many years ago due to neck issues - which were made worse by reaching out to the side to move the mouse. Assuming it's an ergonomic problem you need to consider what problem you are trying to mitigate by changing.

Often these problems can be assisted with variety in the type of movements made, I needed to get away from constantly reaching out to the side for the mouse, which pretty much ruled out roller balls or other mice substitutes beside the keyboard. So I now use a roller bar mouse which allows use of both hands to control cursor movement it sits in front of the keyboard so you are not reaching out to the side. It has a cylinder that you move side to side and for horizontal movement and roll back and forth for up and down. They are expensive but I find theme excellent for everything apart from freehand selections when masking etc. For that I use a pen tablet - mixing up the movements helps a lot.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by ChrisRoss on Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:20 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
This the roller mouse I have:

https://www.contourdesign.com/product/r ... se-free-3/
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

9 posts |