Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Craig Lipski on Fri May 06, 2022 10:33 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
For some time now, my wife and I have been sharing an inexpensive Lexar "Dual Slot" USB 3.0 card reader for our CF cards.  We're using the same cards as each other, on identical machines.  Lately, the transfer speed has dropped from over 120 Mb/s to under 30 (on both computers), with occasional bursts of over 100.  I have over 200 Gb of free space on my machine.  We've been using the same cards and computers for the entire period I'm describing.  What might cause this?  Another reader is, potentially, a cheap fix, but we've been on the road for some time now, and we get along OK as is, so I haven't bought one yet.  Is that the likely culprit?  Any other ideas?  TIA  

by photoman4343 on Sat May 07, 2022 10:14 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
One suggestion is to replace the cable on the card reader with another similar cable, if that is possible. Another suggestion is to use a similar but different port on your computer. Or connect the card reader directly to the computer if it is plugged into a Hub. 
Joe Smith

by Mark L on Sat May 07, 2022 11:24 am
Mark L
Forum Contributor
If you are using the same cards do you do a complete format between uses?  I would consider the card condition in addition to, or over issues with the reader.  Flash memory does not last forever.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat May 07, 2022 12:09 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
As Joe mentioned above, it could be the cable. Have you accidentally changed it out to a USB 2.0 cable? That could probably do it, as well as the need to have it plugged into a USB 3.0 or higher port on the computer.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Craig Lipski on Sat May 07, 2022 12:55 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
Both ports are 3.0, I’ve tried different 3.0 cables; the cards have seen a lot of use. I didn’t realize they had a life span; I’ll try different cards. Thanks for the suggestions.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 08, 2022 11:07 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Make sure all other USB 3 ports on the computer have nothing plugged into them. Often laptops with multiple ports are actually a single port on a hub and the entire USB system will slow to the slowest device that's plugged in. Also, see if there is a FW update for your card reader.

6 posts |