All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by flygirl on Thu May 05, 2022 10:07 am
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
I recently was conducting a Zoom workshop with a client on processing workflow with the Z9 and we found some interesting things.  I processed a well exposed image, taken at iso 10,000 in Nikon Studio, then exported it to Photoshop as a 16-bit Tiff, then I processed it via Photoshop Raw, Standard Profile, default presets, then opened in Photoshop.  We had both images within Photoshop to compare and there was quite a big difference in noise.  The photoshop process giving much more noise than the Nikon Studio.  I know people are tweaking their profiles within Photoshop or LR to get better results, but I have been using the Nikon software for years and will continue to do so, and I do understand people who need a faster workflow, this will not work.  But, you really need to compare to see how well your results within Photoshop or LR are.  The Nikon program is free and well worth at least checking out to compare and contrast and maybe helping you tweak those Adobe settings.  The other thing is that the more noise Topaz Denoise sees the more detail that might be effected, for the Photoshop process.  Just things to think about.

by photoman4343 on Thu May 05, 2022 11:37 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Hi Nancy,

My Nikon Z9 arrived last week and I am still setting it up and have not taken any images with it yet. I finally got it as a Non NPS.

Until recently I used Nikon software too, mostly Nikon NX-D and View Nx-i as I preferred the separate packages over the one integrated one.

My main Raw processor is DXO-PL5 Elite version, mainly for Deep Prime noise reduction feature. but I will check out Studio as part of my evaluation of my Z9 workflow. PL5 applies Noise removal at the Export phase of post processing when Tiffs or Jpegs are created..

Since I am partially color blind, I use the free Nikon Raw processor software to render colors exactly as captured by the camera. And sometimes for critical spot and dust removal activities, I create a Tiff and use the very old Nikon Capture NX2.

If you have tips on using Studio with a dual monitor setup I would appreciate having them. I prefer my filmstrip on my second monitor and all else on my larger main monitor. Desktop uses win 10 Pro 64 bit. I cnnot seem to configure Studio for dual monitors.

At somepoint we all would appreciate your Z9 settings tips.

Thanks for your great posts.
Joe Smith

by flygirl on Thu May 05, 2022 12:12 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
photoman4343 wrote:Hi Nancy,

My Nikon Z9 arrived last week and I am still setting it up and have not taken any images with it yet. I finally got it as a Non NPS.

Until recently I used Nikon software too, mostly Nikon NX-D and View Nx-i as I preferred the separate packages over the one integrated one.

My main Raw processor is DXO-PL5 Elite version, mainly for Deep Prime noise reduction feature.  but I will check out Studio as part of my evaluation of my Z9 workflow. PL5  applies Noise removal at the Export phase of post processing when Tiffs or Jpegs are created..

Since I am partially color blind, I use the free Nikon Raw processor software  to render colors exactly as captured by the camera.  And sometimes for critical spot and dust removal activities, I create a Tiff and use the very old Nikon Capture NX2.

If you have tips on using Studio with a dual monitor  setup I would appreciate having them. I prefer my filmstrip on my second monitor and all else  on my larger main monitor.   Desktop uses win 10 Pro 64 bit. I cnnot seem to configure Studio for dual monitors.

At somepoint we all would appreciate your Z9 settings tips.

Thanks for your great posts.

Hi Joe.

Ok to use the Nikon Studio on two monitors is you move your application to the second monitor, then go to the top menu and click on Edit, then go to Options, then to Viewer, then click on View images full-screen on a secondary display on the last menu item.  You have to restart program.  So now when you open your program it will open on your secondary display but when you click on the icon on the top that looks like a monitor with arrows coming out with arrows, the full image from your filmstrip will open on your primary monitor.

Now for settings.  I will give you my main button settings that seem to work pretty well now.  I have done quite a bit of tweaking since receiving the camera Dec 24th.  And it will take you about 4 to 6 months to really get comfortable with it.  Patience and use is required.  Also, if you would like more detailed instruction, I do give Zoom workshops.  I have found four main focus modes that seem to work for me most of the time, so those are the ones I have programed in buttons.  My AF-On button I have programed for WideArea (C1), animal detection, my main shutter button set to 3d, animal detection, the toggle button set to WideArea (S) animal detection, and my Fn1 button set to my old favorite from DSLR days, Dynamic (M), when I feel the auto modes just are not working for me.  I do not use the Banks, but I have customized my i-menu and My Menu a bit.  I have also found using Erratic, and full delay 5 is the best with a3 menu setting.  During my Zoom workshops I usually go through the full menu and explain, depending on how far along you are with the camera.  I have not done much video yet.  Working on that now a bit more.

Hope that helps you get started.

Nancy 

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu May 05, 2022 5:37 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
flygirl wrote:I recently was conducting a Zoom workshop with a client on processing workflow with the Z9 and we found some interesting things.  I processed a well exposed image, taken at iso 10,000 in Nikon Studio, then exported it to Photoshop as a 16-bit Tiff, then I processed it via Photoshop Raw, Standard Profile, default presets, then opened in Photoshop.  We had both images within Photoshop to compare and there was quite a big difference in noise.  The photoshop process giving much more noise than the Nikon Studio.  I know people are tweaking their profiles within Photoshop or LR to get better results, but I have been using the Nikon software for years and will continue to do so, and I do understand people who need a faster workflow, this will not work.  But, you really need to compare to see how well your results within Photoshop or LR are.  The Nikon program is free and well worth at least checking out to compare and contrast and maybe helping you tweak those Adobe settings.  The other thing is that the more noise Topaz Denoise sees the more detail that might be effected, for the Photoshop process.  Just things to think about.

The Nikon software sure does do a job compared to LR. Capture one supports the lossless compressed files and is far superior to LR and as good as the Nikon software as far as I can see. However, C1 does not support the high-efficiency formats which is a bummer so I don't use those formats at all. 

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 08, 2022 11:11 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
What is happening here is that Nikon will read whatever in-camera settings you have and apply them. Even if you are shooting RAW, the NR settings in your menus which are actually only applied to the JPEG are read out by the Nikon S/W and then applied to the RAW in the computer automatically. The Adobe software is not doing that. I haven't used the latest iterations of Nikon S/W but in the past you were able to turn off the in-camera JPEG settings being applied to the RAW image automatically. there are other things that are being applied by the Nikon S/W that Adobe's or any othe S/W will not. The most notable one is DRO. If you were to completely turn both of those off in camera, then the noise levels and Dynamic Range from your Nikon S/W and your Adobe S/W would be very similar.

by flygirl on Sun May 08, 2022 11:30 am
flygirl
Lifetime Member
I actually like that EJ, and understood that from the beginning, and you can turn it off completely in camera.  I have it set to LOW.  But, being RAW you can do that in the Studio also, before cooking the image.  I just like the colors and all that the Studio does to my files, so to me, I like the presets.  I have been using the Nikon program for years, so I guess just used to it.  Plus, I was never able to get on with LR.

6 posts |