All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Steve Cirone on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:30 am
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
After Adobe stopped allowing Photoshop to work on my elderly Windows 7 machine, I bought a new Lenovo Legion desktop with Windows 11.  Still running my old beloved NEC MultiSynch PA 301w monitor.  I previously used Firefox as my browser, and Google as my search engine, but the new unit has Edge and Bing factory installed.  I decided to try both out and they seem fine.  Am I missing anything by continuing with these platforms?   

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:48 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The only reason most people ever switched to Firefox is color management. Chrome is also color managed. Now that Edge is color managed, it is probably fine but you do have to turn color management on. You can Google or Bing how to do that :)

by photoman4343 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:27 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Steve, I use the same NEC monitor you are using. I love it especially its aspect ratio.

Keep us posted on the performance of your new Lenovo Legion desktop and system build recommendations for the Legion desktop will be appreciated.
Joe Smith

by Steve Cirone on Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:47 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Many thanks to EJ Peiker on his recommendation of the NEC MultiSynch 301w a decade ago.  I have used the monitor continuously for ten years.  Everything looks great on the screen.  It was $2500, pricy, but since I am looking at it so much on a daily basis I find it worth the money.

To keep Joe posted on my new Lenovo Legion desktop computer, it was an "off the shelf" unit at Costco, $999, actually a gift from my college / motorcycle buddy who lives in northern California.  He is fighting cancer and comes to San Diego for treatment only available here.  I am his driver and support as he is in a very weakened state.

I know many folks here at NSN use Puget $5000 customs, and would never consider a computer so basic, but it fits my needs.  Lots of bang for the buck at $999 US.  

Lenovo Legion 5i 26L gen 6, Windows 11 home, Costco item 1587582, 2 year warranty, 11th gen Intel i5-11500 processor, 1 TB 7200 HD, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super Graphics 6GB, wired mouse and keyboard, 400 watt power supply, 4 USB 3 sockets, 2 USB 2 sockets for mouse and keyboard, monitor ports- 1 HDMI, 1 Display Port, 1 DVI.

Pros are I was able to see it in person, pick it up in person, and see the well padded box was in perfect shape.  It is so silent I do not know it is on, it has extreme cooling with the entire top and front vented, two large fans in front, one in back and a fan directly on the processor, it goes on and off almost like a light switch.  Cons are no blu-ray DVD reader / player / burner.  Many here may consider 64 ram a minimum, likely want a 2 TB SSD, and a 5-10 TB 7200 rpm HD, etc.

Better versions are on display at Best Buy, but mostly at 2X the price or more.

Set up was easy.  The one glitch was on first startup, the unit makes no noise, and none of the many adjustable lights go on, so I was unaware it was on.  I thought I got a dud until I saw the monitor!  I also suggest going with most of the installed software like Edge, Bing, and the Lenovo Vantage control / system watch center.

Very little bloatware with the exception of McAfee.  Of course, Microsoft attempts to keep you under their control at all steps, like Apple.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by photoman4343 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:44 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Thanks Steve, that price is very attractive.
Joe Smith

5 posts |