All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:23 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Some pretty major feature updates in the new version including panorama stitching, HDR merging, wireless tethering, auto rotate (image leveling), catalog speed improvement, some new tools, etc...

https://www.captureone.com/en/new-update/capture-one-22

Tons of videos and tutorials on their YouTube channel.  I'll be diving into the new features and get up to speed:
https://www.youtube.com/c/CaptureOneProDK/videos

Merging to HDR and Panorama is incredibly easy.  You simply select the photos in the HDR or pano, right click and select either HDR or Panorama.  The software then creates a DNG file that can then be modified as you desire with the normal C1 tools and workflow.

by DChan on Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:27 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Should You Upgrade? / Capture One 22 Review

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Definitely needs work on the deghosting front!

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:16 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I gave the pano stitching a try on a night scene(milky way), and it was a total fail. To be fair, that's a tough subject, but other programs I have could handle it.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:09 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:I gave the pano stitching a try on a night scene(milky way), and it was a total fail. To be fair, that's a tough subject, but other programs I have could handle it.
You’re not alone. Read the comments by Poki after this article:

Petapixel Article

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by schlansker on Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:57 am
schlansker
Forum Contributor
I tried two initial panoramic stitches, both landscapes from a tripod with simple foregrounds. Both panoramas came out great.

It was helpful getting a dng file that allows all available raw adjustments after stitching.

by Walter Rowe on Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:52 pm
Walter Rowe
Lifetime Member
Member #:00177
I’ve done a number of pano stitches in CO 22 and all of them came out perfect. HDR Merge always produces an image with the highlights pushed to far to the right. It should be more aggressive in mapping down highlights so I have to do less HDR highlight and white recovery.
Walter Rowe | WalterRowe.com

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:35 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Walter Rowe wrote:I’ve done a number of pano stitches in CO 22 and all of them came out perfect. HDR Merge always produces an image with the highlights pushed to far to the right. It should be more aggressive in mapping down highlights so I have to do less HDR highlight and white recovery.
Which image the HDR is biased towards depends on which image you have highlighted when you do the merge.  Select a darker one as the highlighted image of your HDR merge stack and this should get better.  But it does try to do an expose to the right bias which is kind of what you want anyway in a RAW file.

by Bill Chambers on Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:43 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Walter Rowe wrote:I’ve done a number of pano stitches in CO 22 and all of them came out perfect. HDR Merge always produces an image with the highlights pushed to far to the right. It should be more aggressive in mapping down highlights so I have to do less HDR highlight and white recovery.
I have had the same result with the panos I've tried.  A couple of them were difficult scenarios which I intentionally shot that way to test how good the pano maker might be, and I was VERY surprised with how well they turned out (basically flawless).  I'm MUCH more impressed with the panos with C1 Pro 22 when compared against PTGui which costs an additional $175 to $350.  I never purchased PTGui after using the trial version because I felt it did an awful job, but I've been very impressed so far with C1 Pro 22, especially since this is just their first version.

Haven't used the HDR feature yet, and probably never will, but it's nice to have if needed.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:38 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Bill Chambers wrote:
I have had the same result with the panos I've tried.  A couple of them were difficult scenarios which I intentionally shot that way to test how good the pano maker might be, and I was VERY surprised with how well they turned out (basically flawless).  I'm MUCH more impressed with the panos with C1 Pro 22 when compared against PTGui which costs an additional $175 to $350.  I never purchased PTGui after using the trial version because I felt it did an awful job, but I've been very impressed so far with C1 Pro 22, especially since this is just their first version.

Haven't used the HDR feature yet, and probably never will, but it's nice to have if needed.
The default "recipes" in PTGUI almost always suck.  The Vedutismo or Mercator almost always give the best result, these are found in the pull down for panorama projections and not on the default toolbar.  I essentially never use the standard 3 projections. 

by Walter Rowe on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:31 pm
Walter Rowe
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Which image the HDR is biased towards depends on which image you have highlighted when you do the merge.  Select a darker one as the highlighted image of your HDR merge stack and this should get better.  But it does try to do an expose to the right bias which is kind of what you want anyway in a RAW file.
I had heard this and tested it. I created multiple merges from the same image set, each merge having a different primary variant selected. I did not see any noticeable difference in the result. Have you seen significant differences depending on the selected primary variant?

by WJaekel on Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:20 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
In my limited tests I have not seen a noticeable difference of the HDR output either so far, depending on the selected primary variant. But maybe there are more tests required.
My Pano tests came out pretty good too, btw, but moving subjects and ghosting wasn't a critical point in the files I had selected for stiching. However, I think it's just a starting point of C22 and other programs including LR are more advanced here feature-wise. Apart from work on deghosting they should also add a feature to fill the space in the panos. In the end, the price for the upgrade from C21 ( € 209) is very high, IMO and I don't know yet if I will pay it or skip C22 for now after the trial period since panos and HDRs are not a frequent part of my workflow.- though admitted a nice option. Apart from these new features (and tethering that I don't need ) there's not much changed from C21, though, to justify the high price, I think. It's a personal decision, of course.

There's another point, I would like to address using C22, btw. Out of curiosity I tried to compare the output applied with Topaz Denoise and DxO PureRaw. However, I couldn't edit the DNG files created from panos or HDRs with PureRAW (or Photolab 5). If I choose "edit with...PureRaw.". from within C22., DxO PureRaw is launched correctly but I get the error message " These images are either not supported or have already been processed in DxO PureRaw or the files may be corrupted".  They aren't corrupted, of course and not processed in DxO before but created in C22 from the Raws. It also doesn't work to process the DNG Files created by C22 with DxO Photolab 5 in order to apply Prime. I also get an "internal error" message once i try to open the DNG.
From whatI read, CaptureOne should work with PureRaw. So has anybody tried to apply PureRaw on DNGs from within CaptureOne and knows what's wrong in my approach   ? Thanks.

Wolfgang

Hmm, sorry,after rethinking about the issue described above, it's maybe a confusion on my part :wink: . I probably cannot edit a DNG- file created in C1-22 with PureRaw because it's the original RAW file that has to be transferred from C22 into the application and the DNG- file is the output by then that can reimported into C22 (?)

Wolfgang 

by Walter Rowe on Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:28 pm
Walter Rowe
Lifetime Member
The DNG files created with CO 22 HDR Merge and Pano Stitch are linear RGB files, not mosaic raw files. This may explain why other apps have difficulty opening them.

13 posts |