Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:12 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I processed a batch of JPEG files in Capture One and it generated an xmp file for each image. Is that normal? And what if I just toss those out? Do they store the adjustments I made and will those be lost without those xmp files?
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:43 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This tells you what an xmp file is:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fileinfo.c ... ension/xmp

Be sure and read the note at the end.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Jens Peermann on Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:05 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:This tells you what an xmp file is:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fileinfo.c ... ension/xmp

Be sure and read the note at the end.

Joe
Thanks Joe.
That last sentence refers to RAW files, not JPGs or TIFFs. I think this happened because i have "Prefer metadata stored in a separate .xmp file" selected in the Capture One preferences. I somehow expected this app to know the difference and not safe .xmp files for those two, but that's exactly what happened.

I copied the JPG files together with their .xmp files and then deleted the .xmps from those copies. No damage to the JPGs. They retained their adjustments, just as I expected. So this appears to be a little harmless irregularity in version 12 - and maybe others as well - of Capture One.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:34 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It is doing that because when C1 renders the image it applies your C1 defaults to it which is then stored in an XMP file. Any application that does its own rendering including Adobe products will do that.

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:25 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Jens Peermann wrote:I processed a batch of JPEG files in Capture One and it generated an xmp file for each image. Is that normal? And what if I just toss those out? Do they store the adjustments I made and will those be lost without those xmp files?
xmp files store your edits. Some applications will let you choose to store edits in application's database or externally in xmp files.
If you're sending files to other people for more editing you have to include xmp files.

by Jens Peermann on Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:09 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It is doing that because when C1 renders the image it applies your C1 defaults to it which is then stored in an XMP file.  Any application that does its own rendering including Adobe products will do that.
That's interesting. I've been using Photoshop since the version #1 was introduced and made adjustments to countless JPEGs and Tiffs without generating a single .xmp file in the process.
Maybe C1 does that and I just never knew it because I usually don't make adjustments to anything other than RAW files in that application.

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:31 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Jens Peermann wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:It is doing that because when C1 renders the image it applies your C1 defaults to it which is then stored in an XMP file.  Any application that does its own rendering including Adobe products will do that.
That's interesting. I've been using Photoshop since the version #1 was introduced and made adjustments to countless JPEGs and Tiffs without generating a single .xmp file in the process.
Maybe C1 does that and I just never knew it because I usually don't make adjustments to anything other than RAW files in that application.
When it comes to Adobe, XMP files came when RAW editing became available. I think Photoshop CS or CS2 brought in RAW editing capability. XMP files are for storing edits done in camera RAW.

7 posts |