Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:43 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
For over a decade I have been using the free version of Neat Image.  It does a decent job with some limitations.  I see there is a software called Topaz Denoise AI.  what has been your experience with this particular software?  Based on samples I have seen on the vendor website, it seems to not only remove high-ISO noise but restores what the image would look like without the noise (meaning it replaces lost detail, whiskers and fur on an animal subject, etc.).  Is it as simple as that to use?

by Mark L on Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:53 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
Here is a link to a video by Matt Kloskowski discussing the program:
https://mattk.com/whats-new-in-topaz-denoise-ai-3-1/

by bradmangas on Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:57 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I have used Topaz products for many years. For the most part their software use to be just so-so. A few years ago they went through some changes, not only with how they sell and provide updates, but more importantly I believe they brought in some new developers. I would now rate the Topaz product line, being; Denoise AI, Sharpen AI, and Gigapixel AI as among some of the best on the market.

Denoise AI is dang near unbelievable in what it is able to do. Simple to use, gives users multiple approaches and has always worked flawlessly. They now produces software that in my opinion is worth the price they charge for them. If a person was only going to purchase one I would recommend it being Denoise AI.

by OntPhoto on Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:23 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Thanks for info so far. I will do more research.  Is it simple to use in your opinion?  I went to the link Matt provided and the first comment I see is the following.  

"Question on workflow: When I first started using DeNoise AI, I read that it works best, by starting with DeNoise AI first. Supposedly it works better that way. Honestly, it was a pain. Any thoughts on that?  I loved the workflow that you used in the video: LrC > PS (if necessary) > DeNoise AI last."

I mean, even with Neat Image, I had to make adjustments in Photoshop first.  Then go to Neat Image.  I assume the same with Topaz DeNoise AI?  The software looks impressive enough for me to buy it. I will do the free trial first.

I have Photoshop CS6 and an earlier version of Lightroom (big regret is not upgrading to the last perpetual license version of LR).

by OntPhoto on Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:56 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I see there is going to be a learning curve to DeNoise AI. I did some Googling and found this review between Neat Image and DeNoise AI.

Explains part of what I am seeing.  In my case, I have a lot to learn with the adjustments in DeNoise.  Author mentions liking how DeNoise is able to differentiate detail from noise.

Neat Image vs DeNoise

Last edited by OntPhoto on Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Jeff Pearl on Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:37 am
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
The Topaz products i use the most at AI Clear and Dehaze. Then Topaz Studio 2 for abstracts. I bought DeNoise AI but didn't renew because it was worse than AI Clear.

by bradmangas on Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:03 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
There is really no learning curve with Topaz Denoise. You can literally select "AUTO" and your done. Or manually adjust noise reduction amount slider and Detail slider to your liking.

Also as far as Topaz AI Clear. AI Clear is a tab selection within Denoise AI. Easy to compare the two. Denoise AI and AI Clear do produce different results since the algorithms are not the same between the two.

by OntPhoto on Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:02 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
bradmangas wrote:There is really no learning curve with Topaz Denoise. You can literally select "AUTO" and your done. Or manually adjust noise reduction amount slider and Detail slider to your liking.

Also as far as Topaz AI Clear. AI Clear is a tab selection within Denoise AI. Easy to compare the two. Denoise AI and AI Clear do produce different results since the algorithms are not the same between the two.
I have been doing more reading on other forums and reviews and see that some people use the auto-setting as you suggested.  I am going to look closer at the fine details to see how much of it DeNoise maintains while removing noise.  I should use the software on 7D MK2 images which will have much more noise then the 6D shots.  

From what I have read so far, DeNoise is better at retaining detail while removing noise and Neat Image is better at making smoother backgrounds.   

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:45 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Moved to Digital Topics.

by OntPhoto on Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:07 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Moved to Digital Topics.
Thanks.  I'll remember for next time. 

by Bill Chambers on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:43 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I agree with Brad completely. DeNoise AI is a superior product for sure. I have used it for several years now with excellent results. Now that Pure RAW has come out I think DeNoise AI has some competition. It's not a direct competition because Pure RAW does more than just reducing noise. I now use both products, depending on which camera/lens was used, ISO used, and how old the image is. I find that Pure RAW will sometimes over sharpen images and you cannot alter those results, but with DeNoise you have full control over the results, which is excellent. I'm a big fan of DeNoise AI.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Des on Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:46 am
Des
Forum Contributor
I use DeNoise, and apply at the end/after Lightroom. Cannot be simpler to use. Couple of clicks and you're done, literally.
Regards,

Des

captivatingnature.co.uk

by Craig Lipski on Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:55 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
Make sure you check out the system requirements for Topaz products - they can found on their website.

13 posts |