All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:28 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Some interesting tidbits on the upcoming Windows 11.  Most interesting is the hardware requirements:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/suppo ... s-11-2175/

by Langsey on Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:49 pm
Langsey
Forum Contributor
Bummer my photo computer is not compatible. It is running very well. Microsoft is going to stop supporting W10 in 2025. Hopefully my computer will last longer than that. I am not sure about Lightroom, Photoshop, and others will still be compatible after that. Fortunately my laptop is compatible.
I am reading there maybe some work arounds.
John
John Langsenkamp
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0077[/url]

by DavidSutton on Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:36 pm
DavidSutton
Forum Contributor
I know a beta tester for Windows 11. He said think Mr Paperclip on steroids.
I recently upgraded my photo computer to Windows 10 to take advantage of some software. It took a long time to disable the spyware, disable the features designed for tablets, and even then the bloody thing installed a "news" widget in the taskbar a few weeks ago. That took a bit to disable (not just stopping it showing, but stop it running in the background).
My fancy Sager laptop died this year and I've replaced it with a bog standard second hand Dell latitude. I still have a latitude from 2008 that goes fine, but after upgrading the ram to 6 gb it gets tired and has to randomly shut down once a week.
Anyway, I reverted the OS on the latest Dell to Windows 7. It just works with no hiccoughs, no surprises, and is certainly no slower than before and doesn't assume the user is a moron.
Brilliant.
David Sutton

by Ed Cordes on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:44 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
So my laptop CPU is not compatible.  So what?  I assume I can stay with Win 10 until they no longer support it?
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:48 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Ed Cordes wrote:So my laptop CPU is not compatible.  So what?  I assume I can stay with Win 10 until they no longer support it?
You can stay with it a long time after they stop supporting it ;)  There are still millions of PCs running Win 7 out there!

by OntPhoto on Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:47 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Did not even know I had a TPM chip until this post.  I am all set.  My Dell is new (this year) so it should have the latest stuff and it does.  I had Win 7 on my old Dell until this year.  The old 11 year PC kept getting blue screens and rebooting on its own, etc. so had no choice but to get a new PC.  

I'll probably hang onto Win 10 for a couple of years after it is no longer supported since I just got it.  My Photoshop CS6 still works.  I'll think about Win 11 if it offers a significant improvement in features especially security features.  But whether CS6 still works on Win 11 may be the deciding factor for me.  I do have Norton 360 so I am OK.

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:35 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
My guess looking at Microsoft history, this will be a turkey. We will have to wait for windows 12 aka windows 11 fixed.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wildflower-nut wrote:My guess looking at Microsoft history, this will be a turkey.  We will have to wait for windows 12 aka windows 11 fixed.
Not sure I agree.  When Win 10 came out there were serious problems that were all addressed making Win 10 the most stable OS MS has ever had.

by Wildflower-nut on Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:05 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote:My guess looking at Microsoft history, this will be a turkey.  We will have to wait for windows 12 aka windows 11 fixed.
Not sure I agree.  When Win 10 came out there were serious problems that were all addressed making Win 10 the most stable OS MS has ever had.

I guess I looked at window 8 as bad news and windows 10 as 8 fixed.  Never adopt before first major update.
windows 98 was good windows 2000?
xp was good, vista?
windows 7 was good, windows 8?
windows 10 good, windows 11???????

by DavidSutton on Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:55 pm
DavidSutton
Forum Contributor
A heads up if you don't want to use Edge in Windows 11. If you don't set your default browser at first launch and want to change to, say Firefox, you'll have a year's worth of tears of frustration.
David Sutton

10 posts |