« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by rene on Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:55 am
rene
Forum Contributor
Hi i have a OWC enclosure with 4TB Ssd in it. It has a fan and to be honest: im getting a bit tired of hearing the fan all the time. Im looking to buy another enclosure without a fan. I have 2 questions:

1. Is it ok to run ssd without a fan? It was my understanding that it should be no problem.
2. If so can anyone suggest a 2 bay enclosure? To be honest: i can't find one!!!

Thanks

by DChan on Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:29 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
rene wrote:Hi i have a OWC enclosure with 4TB Ssd in it. It has a fan and to be honest: im getting a bit tired of hearing the fan all the time. Im looking to buy another enclosure without a fan. I have 2 questions:

1. Is it ok to run ssd without a fan? It was my understanding that it should be no problem.
2. If so can anyone suggest a 2 bay enclosure? To be honest: i can't find one!!!

Thanks

Does your SSD feel warm/hot to the touch??

by Mark L on Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:39 am
Mark L
Forum Contributor
The short answer is "no"; remember that you can buy portable SSDs (Samsung T5 and T7, Rocket, etc.) that are just the drive in a case with a cable to connect via USB or thunderbolt.  With that said, I don't know what kind of bare cases are available, with or without fans.  Without a fan you may run into situations where the drive slows down because it is getting hot.  

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You do not need a fanned enclosure. Something like this would work perfectly and be silent:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External ... ref=sr_1_3

by photoman4343 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:43 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Newegg sells a lot of SSD Docks and SSD Enclosures. I have enclosure cases made by Sabrent and by StarTech from NEWEGG for spinning drives and SSD drives.

Make sure you get one where the port type (USB2, USB3, USB3.1,etc) and speed ratings are matched to what is on your computer. The USB3.1's are much faster than the lower USB numbers.

https://www.newegg.com/startech-unidock ... klink=true
Joe Smith

by rene on Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:05 pm
rene
Forum Contributor
Many thanks for the replies. I will look into your suggestions 
Rene 

6 posts |