NatureScapes.net Forums
https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/

Upgrading graphics cards.
https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=293883
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Mark Robinson [ Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Upgrading graphics cards.

I noticed that my computer can get a bit bogged down when previewing images in Nikon NX Studio, applying DeNoise filters and opening databases with numerous Rhino files. Will an upgraded graphics card help? If so, which one? Many thanks in advance.


Image

Author:  Mark L [ Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Upgrading graphics cards.

While I have no experience with the Nikon NX Studio, I think that it is time for you to consider upgrading your computer.  The processor is many generations old, you have very little memory to support working with images and your graphics card is many generations old (and therefore has slow graphics memory).  

Author:  E.J. Peiker [ Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Agree with Mark, while you will certainly get gains by upgrading to a modern graphics card, assuming you have a power supply that can handle the much higher power demands of today's cards, it may be time to go for a new computer. The processor you have is now 7 generations old. If that isn't viable, in addition to a graphics card, going to something like 64 GB of memory will give you a big benefit. Even 32GB would result in a significant improvement. DeNoise would get a huge boost but even before that, make sure in the DeNoise preferences that the nVidia card is being used for DeNoise and not the CPU.

Author:  Mark Robinson [ Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re:

E.J. Peiker wrote:
Agree with Mark, while you will certainly get gains by upgrading to a modern graphics card, assuming you have a power supply that can handle the much higher power demands of today's cards, it may be time to go for a new computer.  The processor you have is now 7 generations old.  If that isn't viable, in addition to a  graphics card, going to something like 64 GB of memory will give you a big benefit.  Even 32GB would result in a significant improvement.  DeNoise would get a huge boost but even before that, make sure in the DeNoise preferences that the nVidia card is being used for DeNoise and not the CPU.


Thank you E.J. I value your opinion.

I tend to hold on to things for too long. I realize that that is counterproductive with computers. 

Might try the upgraded memory and see if that helps. I will have some fun anyway.

Author:  Mark L [ Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Upgrading graphics cards.

Adding what is outdated and slow memory to an old, slow computer with an inferior graphics card is not a good value.  Save your money and put it towards a new computer.  

Author:  Mark Robinson [ Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Upgrading graphics cards.

Mark L wrote:
Adding what is outdated and slow memory to an old, slow computer with an inferior graphics card is not a good value.  Save your money and put it towards a new computer.  


Probably good advice. Thank you for it.

Author:  mspringer [ Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

I echo what both Mark L. and EJ have said but will add my own experience which I think is relevant. Until very recently my computer used a 2600K CPU (a generation older than yours) with 16 GB of DDR3 memory, internal graphics and then a 2070 super graphics card. Most of my photography was done with a 16 mpx D7000, which based on your website has similar resolution to the D500s you're using.

I didn't run short of memory processing images until I switched cameras to a D810 (36 mpx) and used multiple layers. You can monitor if the amount of memory is an issue in PS with the % efficiency indicator or generally with Task Manager. I then added another 16 GB of memory for a total of 32 GB which was sufficient with the D810. Using Gigapixel was a trial of my patience until I added the 2070 super graphics card and then it became reasonable, not great but tolerable. I've since had a new computer built which has an AMD 5900X, 64 GB of memory, and the 2070 super. It's noticeably faster using Gigapixel (as well as Topaz Sharpen AI and Denoise AI).

In short I doubt just adding memory is going to help processing your images. A graphics card will certainly speed up Gigapixel but as EJ cautioned make sure you have a power supply with sufficient wattage (a particular issue with a pre-built Dell). But the best advice, assuming its within the budget, is to buy a new computer.

Marty

Author:  adamsti [ Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:19 am ]
Post subject: 

Not trying to be a downer, but this is the absolute worst time to look for a graphics card. The new 3080 from Nvidia came out in September 2020. They still are impossible to get. They are selling for hundreds over MSRP. Even old outdated cards are selling for big money. Right now it is virtually impossible to find a 3060, 3070, 3080, 3090, or the new offerings from AMD if you want to go that direction. Most have said supply will not get any better anytime soon, there is no end in sight when it comes to graphic card availability.

Author:  E.J. Peiker [ Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re:

adamsti wrote:
Not trying to be a downer, but this is the absolute worst time to look for a graphics card. The new 3080 from Nvidia came out in September 2020. They still are impossible to get. They are selling for hundreds over MSRP. Even old outdated cards are selling for big money. Right now it is virtually impossible to find a 3060, 3070, 3080, 3090, or the new offerings from AMD if you want to go that direction. Most have said supply will not get any better anytime soon, there is no end in sight when it comes to graphic card availability.

That is true, waiting until the chip shortage eases would be a better value for money for sure.  That goes for memory too and basically anything electronic.  If you want a new Sony a1, if you order today from one of the major outlets, you only have a slight chance of getting it by Christmas.  It really extends to almost anything high tech not made in the USA.  Try buying a new high end bike.  I'm getting quotes of late 2023 if I order a new 2021 model today...

Author:  Mark Robinson [ Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re:

mspringer wrote:
I echo what both Mark L. and EJ have said but will add my own experience which I think is relevant. Until very recently my computer used a 2600K CPU (a generation older than yours) with 16 GB of DDR3 memory, internal graphics and then a 2070 super graphics card. Most of my photography was done with a 16 mpx D7000, which based on your website has similar resolution to the D500s you're using.

I didn't run short of memory processing images until I switched cameras to a D810 (36 mpx) and used multiple layers. You can monitor if the amount of memory is an issue in PS with the % efficiency indicator or generally with Task Manager. I then added another 16 GB of memory for a total of 32 GB which was sufficient with the D810. Using Gigapixel was a trial of my patience until I added the 2070 super graphics card and then it became reasonable, not great but tolerable. I've since had a new computer built which has an AMD 5900X, 64 GB of memory, and the 2070 super. It's noticeably faster using Gigapixel (as well as Topaz Sharpen AI and Denoise AI).

In short I doubt just adding memory is going to help processing your images. A graphics card will certainly speed up Gigapixel but as EJ cautioned make sure you have a power supply with sufficient wattage (a particular issue with a pre-built Dell). But the best advice, assuming its within the budget, is to buy a new computer.

Marty


Thank you for your ideas Marty. All relevant thoughts.

Author:  Mark Robinson [ Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re:

adamsti wrote:
Not trying to be a downer, but this is the absolute worst time to look for a graphics card. The new 3080 from Nvidia came out in September 2020. They still are impossible to get. They are selling for hundreds over MSRP. Even old outdated cards are selling for big money. Right now it is virtually impossible to find a 3060, 3070, 3080, 3090, or the new offerings from AMD if you want to go that direction. Most have said supply will not get any better anytime soon, there is no end in sight when it comes to graphic card availability.


Looks like I will live in the slow lane for now. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
//www.phpbb.com/