Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Mark Robinson on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:09 pm
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
I noticed that my computer can get a bit bogged down when previewing images in Nikon NX Studio, applying DeNoise filters and opening databases with numerous Rhino files. Will an upgraded graphics card help? If so, which one? Many thanks in advance.

Mark Robinson
http://www.critterlight.com

by Mark L on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:12 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
While I have no experience with the Nikon NX Studio, I think that it is time for you to consider upgrading your computer.  The processor is many generations old, you have very little memory to support working with images and your graphics card is many generations old (and therefore has slow graphics memory).  

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Agree with Mark, while you will certainly get gains by upgrading to a modern graphics card, assuming you have a power supply that can handle the much higher power demands of today's cards, it may be time to go for a new computer. The processor you have is now 7 generations old. If that isn't viable, in addition to a graphics card, going to something like 64 GB of memory will give you a big benefit. Even 32GB would result in a significant improvement. DeNoise would get a huge boost but even before that, make sure in the DeNoise preferences that the nVidia card is being used for DeNoise and not the CPU.

by Mark Robinson on Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:07 am
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Agree with Mark, while you will certainly get gains by upgrading to a modern graphics card, assuming you have a power supply that can handle the much higher power demands of today's cards, it may be time to go for a new computer.  The processor you have is now 7 generations old.  If that isn't viable, in addition to a  graphics card, going to something like 64 GB of memory will give you a big benefit.  Even 32GB would result in a significant improvement.  DeNoise would get a huge boost but even before that, make sure in the DeNoise preferences that the nVidia card is being used for DeNoise and not the CPU.
Thank you E.J. I value your opinion.

I tend to hold on to things for too long. I realize that that is counterproductive with computers. 

Might try the upgraded memory and see if that helps. I will have some fun anyway.
Mark Robinson

by Mark L on Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:44 am
Mark L
Forum Contributor
Adding what is outdated and slow memory to an old, slow computer with an inferior graphics card is not a good value.  Save your money and put it towards a new computer.  

by Mark Robinson on Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:34 am
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
Mark L wrote:Adding what is outdated and slow memory to an old, slow computer with an inferior graphics card is not a good value.  Save your money and put it towards a new computer.  
Probably good advice. Thank you for it.
Mark Robinson

by mspringer on Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:01 pm
mspringer
Forum Contributor
I echo what both Mark L. and EJ have said but will add my own experience which I think is relevant. Until very recently my computer used a 2600K CPU (a generation older than yours) with 16 GB of DDR3 memory, internal graphics and then a 2070 super graphics card. Most of my photography was done with a 16 mpx D7000, which based on your website has similar resolution to the D500s you're using.

I didn't run short of memory processing images until I switched cameras to a D810 (36 mpx) and used multiple layers. You can monitor if the amount of memory is an issue in PS with the % efficiency indicator or generally with Task Manager. I then added another 16 GB of memory for a total of 32 GB which was sufficient with the D810. Using Gigapixel was a trial of my patience until I added the 2070 super graphics card and then it became reasonable, not great but tolerable. I've since had a new computer built which has an AMD 5900X, 64 GB of memory, and the 2070 super. It's noticeably faster using Gigapixel (as well as Topaz Sharpen AI and Denoise AI).

In short I doubt just adding memory is going to help processing your images. A graphics card will certainly speed up Gigapixel but as EJ cautioned make sure you have a power supply with sufficient wattage (a particular issue with a pre-built Dell). But the best advice, assuming its within the budget, is to buy a new computer.

Marty

by adamsti on Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:19 am
adamsti
Forum Contributor
Not trying to be a downer, but this is the absolute worst time to look for a graphics card. The new 3080 from Nvidia came out in September 2020. They still are impossible to get. They are selling for hundreds over MSRP. Even old outdated cards are selling for big money. Right now it is virtually impossible to find a 3060, 3070, 3080, 3090, or the new offerings from AMD if you want to go that direction. Most have said supply will not get any better anytime soon, there is no end in sight when it comes to graphic card availability.
http://www.timadamsphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:06 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
adamsti wrote:Not trying to be a downer, but this is the absolute worst time to look for a graphics card. The new 3080 from Nvidia came out in September 2020. They still are impossible to get. They are selling for hundreds over MSRP. Even old outdated cards are selling for big money. Right now it is virtually impossible to find a 3060, 3070, 3080, 3090, or the new offerings from AMD if you want to go that direction. Most have said supply will not get any better anytime soon, there is no end in sight when it comes to graphic card availability.
That is true, waiting until the chip shortage eases would be a better value for money for sure.  That goes for memory too and basically anything electronic.  If you want a new Sony a1, if you order today from one of the major outlets, you only have a slight chance of getting it by Christmas.  It really extends to almost anything high tech not made in the USA.  Try buying a new high end bike.  I'm getting quotes of late 2023 if I order a new 2021 model today...

by Mark Robinson on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:26 am
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
mspringer wrote:I echo what both Mark L. and EJ have said but will add my own experience which I think is relevant. Until very recently my computer used a 2600K CPU (a generation older than yours) with 16 GB of DDR3 memory, internal graphics and then a 2070 super graphics card. Most of my photography was done with a 16 mpx D7000, which based on your website has similar resolution to the D500s you're using.

I didn't run short of memory processing images until I switched cameras to a D810 (36 mpx) and used multiple layers. You can monitor if the amount of memory is an issue in PS with the % efficiency indicator or generally with Task Manager. I then added another 16 GB of memory for a total of 32 GB which was sufficient with the D810. Using Gigapixel was a trial of my patience until I added the 2070 super graphics card and then it became reasonable, not great but tolerable. I've since had a new computer built which has an AMD 5900X, 64 GB of memory, and the 2070 super. It's noticeably faster using Gigapixel (as well as Topaz Sharpen AI and Denoise AI).

In short I doubt just adding memory is going to help processing your images. A graphics card will certainly speed up Gigapixel but as EJ cautioned make sure you have a power supply with sufficient wattage (a particular issue with a pre-built Dell). But the best advice, assuming its within the budget, is to buy a new computer.

Marty
Thank you for your ideas Marty. All relevant thoughts.
Mark Robinson

by Mark Robinson on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:28 am
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
adamsti wrote:Not trying to be a downer, but this is the absolute worst time to look for a graphics card. The new 3080 from Nvidia came out in September 2020. They still are impossible to get. They are selling for hundreds over MSRP. Even old outdated cards are selling for big money. Right now it is virtually impossible to find a 3060, 3070, 3080, 3090, or the new offerings from AMD if you want to go that direction. Most have said supply will not get any better anytime soon, there is no end in sight when it comes to graphic card availability.
Looks like I will live in the slow lane for now. Thanks.
Mark Robinson

11 posts |