« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by neverspook on Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
My laptop is all hosed up and not usable. I am heading to the field to photograph shortly. I use CF and XQD cards and am wondering if there is some device I can get to download these cards to. I don't have a smart phone, just a very ancient iPAD.

I know there are things like HD with SD slots that you can download to, but have not found anything like that for the cards I use. Or it could be something that I could plug my CF and XQD card readers into...

Any ideas? Ideally I'd like to be able to view the images also if possible.

Thanks,
Roberta Olenick

Last edited by neverspook on Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by neverspook on Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:29 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I should add that my ancient iPad does not have cell access, just internet access when I have access to that. I have no way to set up a wireless hot spot and do not have a clue how to do that anyway.... Yes, I am a Luddite.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Your fastest solution would be to not download images while you are away.  Just get and take enough cards so that you don't need to - you can always view the images in camera or use an HDMI cable to display the images on a TV if you are staying in a hotel.  Personally I never ever reuse or format a card while I am away and make sure I have enough cards with me to have two cards with all of my images (slot 1 and 2 record the same thing in the way I work to have built in backup).  There used to be some devices like you describe that would work for CF cards but those are out of production these days and I am not aware of any such device ever having been made for XQD.  The other option of course is to get a new laptop or even a used one that works so you have something to download the images onto.  You could even rent one...

A final option would be to have your current computer repaired.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:32 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
You might check this out:

Backup

Or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wireless-Portable-external-Drive/dp/B06X6H1LY6

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by neverspook on Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:41 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:You might check this out:

Backup

Joe
Thanks, Joe. I have been considering that. Hard to get in Canada in time for when I need it...

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:48 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s a thread that has some info that might give you some ideas:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4265335

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by photoman4343 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:00 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
The Gnarbox2 and its card readers might work for you:

https://www.gnarbox.com/products/gnarbox-2-0-ssd

There was a Forum post about it within the last 6 months  here at NSN. I will try and find it for you.

Here it is: 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=292349&hilit=gnarbox2
Joe Smith

by neverspook on Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:54 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
photoman4343 wrote:The Gnarbox2 and its card readers might work for you:

https://www.gnarbox.com/products/gnarbox-2-0-ssd

There was a Forum post about it within the last 6 months  here at NSN. I will try and find it for you.

Here it is: 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=292349&hilit=gnarbox2
Thanks for all this, Joe. The Nexto looks promising but I cannot get it in time before I have to leave. 

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I thought you wanted to be able to view images on the unit and since you said you didn't own a smartphone to see them, I didn't go down the route of units like those that have been suggested ... ;)

by neverspook on Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:46 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I thought you wanted to be able to view images on the unit and since you said you didn't own a smartphone to see them, I didn't go down the route of units like those that have been suggested ... ;)

I think you can view them on Nexto.
I can't view them by just having them on cards anyway, other than on the camera LCD....

Can't get any of these units in time anyway.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:40 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
neverspook wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I thought you wanted to be able to view images on the unit and since you said you didn't own a smartphone to see them, I didn't go down the route of units like those that have been suggested ... ;)

I think you can view them on Nexto.
I can't view them by just having them on cards anyway, other than on the camera LCD....

Can't get any of these units in time anyway.
Yes, the Nexto has a 2.4” color LCD screen.

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:44 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Ah the Nexto, I was looking at the Gnarbox.  I've never heard of Nexto but on paper the device does do everything that Roberta wanted it to do and then some.

It does look like they do not make one that supports both XQD and CF on the same unit meaning you would either need a card reader for CF to plug into the XQD version or the much more expensive solution of a second CF unit.  Also, realize that you have to buy an SSD separately to stick inside these.  Finally a 320x240 2.5" screen is not something I would want to look at images on.  You are still better off looking at the photos on the camera LCD as they are both bigger and higher resolution.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:29 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
If I recall correctly, you mentioned a while back that you use a D850. If that is true, you can use the Nikon Snapbridge app to view JPEG images on the iPad. You need to have the right OS installed on the iPad. It is a bit complicated for some, but here is a link to some info on making it work:

https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/setti ... snapbridge

To back up images, you can do that in camera by copying images from one card to a blank card installed in the second slot. I’m sure it is slow, but should work fine.

Joe

13 posts |