Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 23 posts | 
by Mark L on Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:39 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
From what I have read (including at Puget), it is not at all clear that the 3080 is an advantage for photography applications (gaming is a different story).  Thunderbolt can be really fast and personally I would keep it.  

The build that you listed looks great and I would go for it.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Mark L wrote:From what I have read (including at Puget), it is not at all clear that the 3080 is an advantage for photography applications (gaming is a different story).  Thunderbolt can be really fast and personally I would keep it.  

It depends on the app, not for PS or LR but it is significant for things like Helicon Focus, Gigapixel AI and some of the other Topaz AI apps.  So it depends on what you use. :)
Also it would be somewhat more future proof.

by mlgray12 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:49 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Mark L wrote:From what I have read (including at Puget), it is not at all clear that the 3080 is an advantage for photography applications (gaming is a different story).  Thunderbolt can be really fast and personally I would keep it.  

It depends on the app, not for PS or LR but it is significant for things like Helicon Focus, Gigapixel AI and some of the other Topaz AI apps.  So it depends on what you use. :)
Also it would be somewhat more future proof.

Thanks all -I have ordered this monster and paid the price due to all the shortages but decided my computer was just giving me too many problems - with everyone's help think my final build is as future proof as I could go and should last for quite a while.
Just for info Puget has all the parts except the big 3.5" SATA drives - I left those off but they are still taking 6 weeks to ship - I found a big 10 TB WD drive online and it is being shipped - that with existing drives will be enough for now
Thanks again
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

23 posts |