All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Karl Egressy on Fri May 28, 2021 5:47 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I shoot with Sony a7R4 and Sony 100-400 f 4.5-5.6 +1.4 TC.
When the subject (bird and dark green foliage) is surrounded by blue sky in the picture, then there is a visible blue line along the dark area of the bird and the vegetation.
I shoot RAW and convert it into TIFF file in DXO Photo Lab 4. The blue line gets more pronounced and bothersome.
It can be dealt with in Photoshop CS5 but it a time consuming tedious work.
Anything can be done to prevent the blue line along the dark areas to be formed?
Thanks,
Karl.

by Kim on Fri May 28, 2021 6:19 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Hello Karl. when you do your conversions there should be a " defringe" setting in the lens correction area that you can adjust to remove the defringing you are getting, the blue line thing you are experiencing.

I know nothing of the quality of the sony equipment you are using but adding the TC may be enhancing the blue line effect and/or it could be your lens could need adjusting for critical sharpness as it is a common symptom of lower quality lens with TC's or lens that need adjusting to achieve proper sharpness.

First step on your existing images is to apply some defringing during conversion to your tiff files.

by Mark L on Fri May 28, 2021 8:57 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
The lens is a Sony professional GM, not a "lower quality lens".  Also, this is a mirrorless lens on a mirrorless camera so the issue of adujusting focus is also moot.  I use the Sony 100-400 on my A7RIV and have never seen the issue of chromatic aberration fringing.  I don't have, or use the TC so I can't comment on that.  Unfortunately, I use Adobe software all the way through, but as Kim says, I have "remove chromatic aberration" checked and that may be eliminating what you are seeing?

It should be possible to remove chromatic aberration when you do the RAW conversion in your software.

by Scott Fairbairn on Sat May 29, 2021 8:01 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
can you post an example Karl? Does it appear if you use other raw conversion software? Some converters are quite aggressive with some adjustments and worsen or create artifacts.

by Karl Egressy on Sat May 29, 2021 8:43 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:can you post an example Karl? Does it appear if you use other raw conversion software? Some converters are quite aggressive with some adjustments and worsen or create artifacts.
Thanks, Scott.
I'll try to include an example. The dark blue line is at the dark belly of the bird.

k

by Stephen Feingold on Sat May 29, 2021 10:14 am
Stephen Feingold
Forum Contributor
This may also happen with too much sharpening and/or noise removal.

by Stephen Feingold on Sat May 29, 2021 10:19 am
Stephen Feingold
Forum Contributor
This may also happen with too much saturation, sharpening and/or noise removal.

Edit: What I also see is a light blue halo around the bird.

Last edited by Stephen Feingold on Sat May 29, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Scott Fairbairn on Sat May 29, 2021 11:47 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
It may be my monitor, but I don't see anything there. I would try a different Raw converter and also check Stephens suggestions.

by Kim on Sat May 29, 2021 6:25 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Karl, I can see it and it does look like chromatic aberration. So yes you should be able to remove it in your raw converter. As suggested above it can be exacerbated by overprocessing in some functions but I think your image does not show that on my monitor.
I am thinking it is the TC that is amplifying the chromatic aberration.

If you turn on that feature in your raw converter I think it will fix your problem.

by Karl Egressy on Sat May 29, 2021 7:54 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Thank you all. I tried a few RAW converters. The proprietary Sony program does remove the blue chromatic aberration but not the noise. In DXO Photo Lb Elite 4 on the other hand everything was turned on but then blue line remained. I still like to use it as it does an excellent job removing noise automatically. I downloaded the stand alone DXO Pure RAW just now. I will modify my workflow for the time being, and combine Pure Raw and Sony's Imaging Edge.
and see how it works out. Meanwhile I tested the lens with and without the TC. Also tested the camera with two lenses and the two lenses with a7R4 and a7R3.
Results are all the same. The blue line is present in the original unprocessed Raw file all the time when you have a darker surface against blue sky.
Well, I read that the high resolution cameras will bring out all the possible faults.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat May 29, 2021 8:21 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Are you shooting electronic front curtain shutter?

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun May 30, 2021 4:52 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Karl, have you tried Capture One? I find Capture one does a great job with raw files.

by Karl Egressy on Sun May 30, 2021 8:50 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Karl, have you tried Capture One? I find Capture one does a great job with raw files.
I tried for the free version of Capture One for Fujifilm when I had a Fujifilm camera and I did not find it very user friendly.
The full version is probably much better but expensive.
I tried other RAW converter, Adobe DNG that is, and it does a very bad job.
Imaging Edge from Sony removes the fringing but leaves all the noise behind. I Tried to combine the stand alone
DXO Pure RAW for noise, then using Imaging Edge. So far I failed to make them work together.
Thanks for the help, Scott. 

13 posts |