Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by photoman4343 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:58 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I just got two new hard drives from New Egg. 

WD Red Plus 12TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s, CMR, 256MB Cache, 3.5 Inch - WD120EFAX

WD Gold 18TB Enterprise Class Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 512MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD181KRYZ.

I installed each drive in HDD enclosure cases. Then used  Windows Disk Management to initiate them, both with GPT. 
Both were formatted  thru quick format. Both drives were given a unique name, Q and F. Both are attached to the desktop with USB cables. 

The 12 TB drive is accepting file folders copied with Explorer or backup software with no issues so far.  It is in a StarTech enclosure.

The 18TB drive is demonstrating lots of issues during copying of file folders with Explorer and other functions with Explorer. The main one is that it seems to stop copying files at 24-40%. And my desktop runs so slow I am forced to turn off the Q drive at its power source and then force  shutdown of the desktop. 

This drive is in a new Rosewill case:  Rosewill Armer RX304-APU3-35B - External 3.5" SATA III 6 Gb/s Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 & eSATA Connection, Aluminum Body, 80 mm Variable Speed Fan with On / Off Switch, LED Display Panel Supports UASP

It’s my understanding that with GPT, windows 10 will recognize drives  greater than 18TB and that I do not need to partition the 18TB drive. 

Could the case be the problem? I have two other Rosewill cases one with a 14TB drive and the other with a 12TB drive.( I know the product info says the limit is 6 TB or 8TB. )

Is there something I need to do to get the 18TB to work correctly?  Or do I return it to NewEgg for another 18TB drive or  a smaller drive? 

Thoughts and solutions will be appreciated. 

Joe 
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
To trouble shoot this, put one of the drives that is working into the case with the drive that isn't working - if it works then it's the 18TB drive, if it doesn't then it's the case which probably isn't compatible for a drive over 16TB.  I'm guessing it's not - to go over 16TB would require a different logic board than one under 16TB.  Looking at the specs, it seems that this drive was designed when 6TB was the largest available but the logic board for 6TB and 16TB would not have to change so it works fine with your lower capacity drives but to go over 16 would require a different board.  It is highly likely that it's just not compatible with that capacity (even if you were to partition it).

There are likely few if any enclosures that are compatible with drives over 16TB right now.  You may need to Install that internally to get it to work.  BTW, installing it internally would be another way to check if the drive is OK but even then, depending on the age of the computer, it is possible that you would have to do a BIOS update to use the full capacity.

by photoman4343 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:01 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ. I will follow your suggestions today and see what happens. Swapping the 18TB drive into another case is a great idea. I will let you know the results.

Joe
Joe Smith

by Alan Melle on Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:20 am
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
The Rosewill Armer RX304-APU3-35B external case shows the drive capacity to only be up to 6TB. The older Rosewill RX358 case had a capacity up to 16TB.and are better built but probably won't handle your 18TB drive The Rosewill case is quite likely the problem.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by photoman4343 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:00 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Alan is correct. The problem is the new Rosewill case.

I swapped the new HDDs and the new 18TB works fine in an older StarTech fanless HDD enclosure I have so I am assuming the18TB HDD is not the problem. The new 12TB HDD does not work in the new Rosewill case as I experienced the same problems with it as with the larger 18TB HDD. I will be returning the Rosewill case to NewEgg. I hope I can find the older/better somewhere. It does seem to be better made than the newer one I just got.

Thanks again for your advice and help.
Joe Smith

by photoman4343 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:50 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Additional update. I bought a StarTech.com USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) Enclosure for 3.5" SATA Drives - Supports SATA 6 Gbps. I installed my new 18TB HDD drive in it and am backing up images from my desktop right now. I have had no problems running the 18TB HDD in this case. Speed is much faster than with my older USB 3 cases. And I am not seeing much heat build up from running the 18TB drive for an extended extended period of time.

The 18TB drive is a WD Gold 18TB Enterprise Class Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 512MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD181KRYZ
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:41 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Glad you got that sorted :)

7 posts |