All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by dbolt on Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:59 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
Because of continued issues with Photoshop (currently ver 22, but the issue was first observed with ver 19) immediately reboots when I click Select/Subject or click Select/Object (W), plus what seems like endless attempts to correct the issue, I decided to install an entirely new (and paid for) copy of Windows 10 Home on a different internal SSD (E: drive) device. I read several "how to's" and started the process by wiping the E: drive with Disk Manager.  Next, I set the machine to boot from the USB disk that I purchased from MS. I removed the data and power cables to the C: drive and rebooted.  I selected the new install option, not to keep files, etc. Install proceeded without any issues and Windows performed as expected.  

Now the issue - after reconnecting the old C: drive cables and a reboot, the machine boots from the old E: drive, which is now labeled C: and the previous C: drive is labeled G:  (The machine has three internal HD, which are of course also renamed D:. E:, and F:). I have not attempted to rename these drives. 

How do I configure the dual boot option?  I want to be able to run PS and all the related image and video-related programs on the new install. Then to reboot and select the "old" win10 install for surfing, email, and less critical apps.  Of course, that assumes that installing PS, Topaz, etc on a freshly installed Win10 solves the rebooting issues.  However, if the rebooting issue continues, I'll have to assume the source of the issue centers on the PC I purchased in 2014.  It was custom-built for PS, but the hardware and BIOS have not been updated.

Any suggestions regarding how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.  I viewed several more videos on dual boots, but not give me the courage to follow their suggestions explicitly.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by dbolt on Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:12 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Update: I loaded Creative Cloud then installed PS, ACR, and LRC on the drive that I recently installed a new copy of Win10. I opened a CR2 file, clicked on the Object Select tool (rectangle), outlined a face, and the PC immediately rebooted. I opened another file, clicked on Select/Sky, and PS successfully outlined the model from the sky. But when I clicked on Select/Subject, the PC immediately rebooted, precisely like the PC does when running under the older copies of the OS and PS.

So, it doesn't look like I need to worry about how to install a Dual Boot as I outlined in the email above. When the PC is running on a clean install of both Win10 and PS, it still reboots. It seems to me that these results point to an issue with the PC itself, not to corruption in the OS or PS.

The first suspect that comes to mind is the BIOS. It is a 2014 version - AMI F4. However, I read more than once that updating the BIOS can lead to unwanted and unrecoverable problems. I've checked the memory and CPU and have tested numerous Windows Troubleshooting apps. None has found an issue. The PC's idling temps seldom exceed 40C PC, and temps during ~100% CPU utilization are generally <80C (thanks to Noctua CPU cooler). I don't know how to test the power supply, but why would it fail only while running specific tasks under PS?

I'd welcome advice on how to proceed. A new computer was not in my plans, but maybe it should be.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:46 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I've never had any issues after a BIOS update but there's a fair chance that this might fix it. But before doing that, make sure graphics drivers and all other hardware drivers on your system are up to date.

Another thing, just to trouble shoot, you might eliminate the graphics card from the equation by either uninstalling it or bypassing it by setting your graphics to the internal Intel graphics in the BIOS. It could be an Open CL issue but since you can't get into photoshop to turn it off, this is the only option.

Also go through all of your TSRs by typing msconfig into the Search Program and Files box when you hit the little windows icon at the bottom left of your screen Disable stuff that isn't critical to running the system. Then click on the services tab and disable stuff that isn't necessary. go to blackviper.com and use the safe column to help you with what can be turned off.

All of that can be done before you go down the BIOS update route.

by dbolt on Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:53 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I've never had any issues after a BIOS update but there's a fair chance that this might fix it.  But before doing that, make sure graphics drivers and all other hardware drivers on your system are up to date.

Another thing, just to trouble shoot, you might eliminate the graphics card from the equation by either uninstalling it or bypassing it by setting your graphics to the internal Intel graphics in the BIOS.  It could be an Open CL issue but since you can't get into photoshop to turn it off, this is the only option.

Also go through all of your TSRs by typing msconfig into the Search Program and Files box when you hit the little windows icon at the bottom left of your screen  Disable stuff that isn't critical to running the system.  Then click on the services tab and disable stuff that isn't necessary.  go to blackviper.com and use the safe column to help you with what can be turned off.

All of that can be done before you go down the BIOS update route.
Both the Nvidia 1070 and the generic GPU in the Intel CPU are up to date, like all the other Intel drivers, plus Windows updates are current.

I've tested both graphic cards independently. I've removed the 1070 and the Intel GPU reboots as described above. I've disabled the Intel GPU and the 1070 running alone reboots as described above. I've also tried selecting Basic GPU in PS - no difference.

I'm using the PC now that booted from the old setup, so I can't check what gets loaded at startup for the new install, but I think the list would be pretty short because the Windows 10 install is less than 24 hours old. I'll check shortly to identify the services and startup programs that load after booting from the new installs. As I've mentioned, nothing in the Event Viewer has been helpful. Most of the Error and Information messages display time-stamps after the PC starts rebooting. If I use the PC but don't do any PS for a few days, Critical and Error messages don't appear.

Before updating the BIOS, I will contact the folks from whom I purchased the PC to see if they have any suggestions or cautions regarding updating the BIOS.

With your help and encouragement, I remain confident that I can get this old box to run as it should.  
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
One other question, have you run the memtest utility on your system?
https://www.memtest86.com/
You put it on something like a thumbdrive or USB drive and then boot into it and it does a real thorough diagnostic of your system memory. I had an issue that would crash my system and it ONLY happened in Capture One. Turns out it was a bad memory stick, something about Capture One's used that bad memory location. I found it with memtest. Replacing the memory module solved the problem. It's a long shot but it doesn't cost anything, the free version is all you need.

by dbolt on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:09 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Yes, I have run memtest several times, usually overnight and have found no problems. A couple of years ago it did find a bad memory stick. I can not remember what prompted me I suspect memory, but the new stick corrected the problem.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I'm running out of ideas... starting to sound like some sort of incompatibility between the most recent PS and your hardware although generally that would be the graphics card and you have already tested for that...  A registry issue would be another idea but you exonerated that when you did a clean Windows install... If I think of anything else, I'll let you know but I'm fresh out of new ideas...

If it were me, at this point I probably would do the BIOS update.

7 posts |