Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by keithkennedy on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:04 am
keithkennedy
Forum Contributor
A few months ago, I posted a question in this forum about image retention/burn-in on my BenQ SW271 monitor. It was suggested that if I had only used a screen saver, I could have avoided the problem. However, I do use a screen saver but in addition to photo editing, I happen to use the monitor for several hours each morning reading the news. The burn-in is at the top of the screen and the faint image is the Google Chrome top ribbon. I did send an email to BenQ but have never received a reply.

I just received an email from another photographer in the UK who has the same monitor and has experienced a similar image retention issue. BenQ replaced his monitor but it arrived with an image retention problem right of the box. 

Have others observed this problem or is this just a case of bad luck (small sample size) with two defective monitors? Regardless, I will not be buying another BenQ monitor which is too bad as in all other respects, it performs quite well.

Keith
Keith Kennedy
Raleigh, NC

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
In general, this sort of problem, when it exists, is endemic to the panel they used so I would expect them all to have this problem unless they had a bad batch of panels from whoever supplies them. It isn't a problem commonly associated with better IPS panels. It is disappointing to see this as it is generally a highly regarded monitor brand. I have not heard this about the 32" 4K monitors but it is certainly something to look out for there too. Have you tried calling 866-600-2367, perhaps they already know of an issue with certain serial numbers...

by keithkennedy on Fri May 14, 2021 1:17 pm
keithkennedy
Forum Contributor
I thought I would provide an update on the situation with my BenQ SW271 image retention problem. After several discussions with their support team, I ended up sending my monitor in for "repair" as the image retention actually became worse/more pronounced despite using a screen saver. Plus there was a clump of hot pixels about 2-3 mm in diameter on the lower left quadrant. So within two weeks they shipped me a 'refurbished' monitor. It looks OK and more importantly, the screen displays no evidence of image retention. However, it is not a  new monitor and is not covered by a warranty. They explained that my warranty period was almost expired and they could not extend it. Bottom line is that I am pleased that they did something and am in hopes that the refurbished monitor does not develop image retention. Note that they did pay shipping both directions which was not insignificant. With this exception, I have been extremely impressed with the performance of the monitor given the price and BenQ support was very helpful.
Keith Kennedy
Raleigh, NC

3 posts |