All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:08 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I have this odd problem. If I save a file as a tiff with two "ff's," it will not read correctly in DXO Photolab. It shows up as a mosaic of panels from the original image. If I save it with one "f", then DXO can open it??
Does someone have any idea why that would occur?

For example, I take an image on my iPhone, convert it from HEIC to tiff in Preview. It appears correctly in Finder and other programs, but DXO can't open it correctly. I open the tiff in Photoshop, save as a "tif" and now DXO can see it correctly??
Any ideas??
thanks!

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:45 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

It's just how DXO interprets different file extensions. Make sure you have the latest version of DXO. If you do, you may want to do a batch conversion of .TIFF to .TIF. I've had the same issue with some programs trying to read .JPG and .JPEG.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
That would need to be a bug report to DXO. TIF and TIFF are both valid and universal extensions for TIF files - there is no difference between the two.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:00 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:That would need to be a bug report to DXO.  TIF and TIFF are both valid and universal extensions for TIF files - there is no difference between the two.
That's what I thought too. I'll see if I can put a report into DXO.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:08 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:That would need to be a bug report to DXO.  TIF and TIFF are both valid and universal extensions for TIF files - there is no difference between the two.

I figured out part of what is going on. The images I had the issue with were converted in Preview on Mac to tiff format. The "Alpha" channel box was checked. As soon as I unchecked that box, and exported it, DXO sees the image correctly. It's still a bug since other programs see the image normally even with the Alpha box checked.

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:13 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
I put in a bug report to DXO. They were swift to respond. Their solution was to use Apple Photos instead of Preview to convert HEIC as Preview doesn't format them so that Photolab can use them.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:I put in a bug report to DXO. They were swift to respond. Their solution was to use Apple Photos instead of Preview to convert HEIC as Preview doesn't format them so that Photolab can use them.
HEIF is problematic in a lot of photo apps.

by Jim Zipp on Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
Reminds me of the early days when I bought my first DSLR. A Canon 1D. Canon used the extension .TIF for raw files. There were some programs or systems that recognized these as being .tif files and some lost images to them being corrupted. It was the only time I converted my raws to DNG files to avoid issues. Sort of a bone head move on Canon's part there I think. That was in the days of a $6,000 4MP camera too!
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jim Zipp wrote:Reminds me of the early days when I bought my first DSLR.  A Canon 1D.  Canon used the extension .TIF for raw files.  There were some programs or systems that recognized these as being .tif files and some lost images to them being corrupted.  It was the only time I converted my raws to DNG files to avoid issues.  Sort of a bone head move on Canon's part there I think.  That was in the days of a $6,000 4MP camera too!
Yup, I have duplicate DNG files of all of my early Canon TIF-RAW files just in case my RAW converter ever "forgets" about them.

9 posts |