« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:00 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I have a WD 12 TB external drive. Its plugged into my desktop computer with Win Pro 10 and 2 TB internal drive. I'm running 32 g memory and PS CS6. With the desktop  I have 2-4TB and 1- 6TB internal drives. When I unplug the 12TB everything run as designed when I either close down or restart. With the 12TB plugged in and I close down or restart the computer stops at a black screen with Gigbite on it and a row of keys to press that relates to the function keys on the key board. What's happening here?

Will I have the same problem when I install 12 TB internal drive or do I buy another external drive for saving?

I am a computer idiot. all I know is I turn it on and that's it.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenmen. 

by photoman4343 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:55 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
From time to time, I have had a similar problem as yours with my desktop running win 10 pro. The problem seems to be associated with just external hard drives, not internal drives, even large ones like 12 TB or larger. I have two large internal drives and I have no issues with booting.

My general practice is to turn on my desktop with no external hard drives active. Once all boots up. I then activate the external hard drives. All of my external drives are 12 TB. I use this approach in that I want the external drives active only when needed. And that is when I back up images from my desktop. My external drives are not needed to process anything on my desktop.

There may be another solution to your problem. Let the experts offer those recommendations.
Joe Smith

by Mark Robinson on Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:23 pm
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
I'm no computer expert at all. I think this is caused by the system trying to boot from those external drives. When it finds no boot information there, it stops trying.

I have the same problem if I try to boot my Win 10 system with 6TB external drives running.

Boot first, turn on drives second works for me.
Mark Robinson
http://www.critterlight.com

by Larry Shuman on Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:36 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
What is boot first?

by DChan on Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:10 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:What is boot first?
Disconnect the external drive from the computer, boot up the computer then reconnect the external drive if you need it.

To see if the computer is trying to boot from the external drive, check the BIOS during POST. If you don't know what that is, don't know how to do it, or don't want to mess up anything, just disconnect the external drive.

by Mark Robinson on Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:33 am
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:What is boot first?
boot=turn on computer
Mark Robinson
http://www.critterlight.com

by Larry Shuman on Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:40 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Thanks
guys