Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Gary Gulash on Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:30 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
I have Lightroom CC issues. The program just locks up when I am in the Develop Module; trying to crop, brush adjustment, anything will cause it to occur. The entire computer becomes frozen, the mouse works but can't open or close anything or even restart the computer. I can do a hard shutdown and all reopens but the problem with LR reoccurs. LRc has been flaky for me in the past by just closing unexpectedly. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program for that problem a while ago and that has worked for a while. If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate your help. My next step would be to "try" and contact Adobe.

My setup; iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, mid 2015
OS version 10.14.6 (Mojave)
Processor: 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

The external I am using for recent photo storage/access is getting quite full if that has any bearing on this?

Thankyou 

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:35 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Have you tried deleting the preferences file - you can google how to do that for your version. You will want to save your workspace layout first so that you can get it back after restarting the computer after deleting the pref file.

by Mark L on Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:39 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
I frankly can't tell which version you are using.  Adobe currently calls the two Lightroom programs "Lightroom Classic" and "Lightroom".  I use a PC and have not had any of the type of issues that you are describing.

by Gary Gulash on Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:52 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
Sorry for any confusion Mark, I am subscribed to Lightroom Classic. E.J. I appreciate the suggestion and will try the preferences file delete. My "workspace layout", okay....I haven't customized the layout in any way. Do I still need to be concerned about the save step?

by Mark L on Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:08 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
Great; I was concerned that some of your issue could have been related to interacting with the Cloud if you were using the Cloud version.  I have heard a number of people say that they are having "issues" of various sorts with the new Adobe programs on some Mac systems but I can't help out.
Good luck!
You might also try the Adobe community forum and just a Google search of the problem.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:17 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Gary Gulash wrote:Sorry for any confusion Mark, I am subscribed to Lightroom Classic. E.J. I appreciate the suggestion and will try the preferences file delete. My "workspace layout", okay....I haven't customized the layout in any way. Do I still need to be concerned about the save step?
I would anyways.

by Gary Gulash on Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:09 am
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
So here's an update. I Googled the Preference Files and LR Classic freezing issue. I came across a suggestion of turning off the Graphics Processor in the Performance section of Preferences. I thought I would try this one strategic and easy Hail Mary before trying anything more involved. And.... so far LR seems to be working as it should, knock on wood. I have no idea why turning off a Graphics Processor would be a good thing, certainly seems counterintuitive. Hopefully black smoke won't start coming out the back of the computer. I have a bucket of water at the ready if needed...

Thankyou E.J. and Mark.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:13 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Gary Gulash wrote:So here's an update. I Googled the Preference Files and LR Classic freezing issue. I came across a suggestion of turning off the Graphics Processor in the Performance section of Preferences. I thought I would try this one strategic and easy Hail Mary before trying anything more involved. And.... so far LR seems to be working as it should, knock on wood. I have no idea why turning off a Graphics Processor would be a good thing, certainly seems counterintuitive. Hopefully black smoke won't start coming out the back of the computer. I have a bucket of water at the ready if needed...

Thankyou E.J. and Mark.
It may just be a matter of updating the drivers for your graphics card to get it working right.  LR will be a lot slower with the graphics card turned off when in the develop module.  Another option would be to replace the graphics card with a newer model.

8 posts |