Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:17 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I just tried to shut down my desktop for the day and it won't let me do so.  I go down the the "Start" icon but no options pop up to allow me to shut in down.  It did this yesterday for the first time and I just figured it was a little glitch or something so I just pressed the POWER button on the computer until it shut down.  Now, it's done it again today.

It's a PC, an older HP, but upgraded several times, but none recently so I don't think that's of any relevance.

Any suggestions?
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by ChrisRoss on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:07 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
which OS version Bill?
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Bill Chambers on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:46 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
ChrisRoss wrote:which OS version Bill?
Oops, sorry.  Windows 10 pro
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Mark L on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:19 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
If you right click on the start icon do you then have shutdown or sign out choices available to you?

by Bill Chambers on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:24 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Mark L wrote:If you right click on the start icon do you then have shutdown or sign out choices available to you?
No, nothing happens if I right click.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Mark L on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:56 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
If you hitctrl/alt/delete one of the choices should be "sign out".  Do that and then see if you have an icon on the bottom right of the screen that allows you to shutdown the computer.  

When you right click on the start icon in the very bottom left of the screen you say that nothing happens?  You don't have a menu appear listing a bunch of things, including "shut down or sign out" at the bottom of that menu list?

by Bill Chambers on Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:35 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Mark L wrote:If you hitctrl/alt/delete one of the choices should be "sign out".  Do that and then see if you have an icon on the bottom right of the screen that allows you to shutdown the computer.  

When you right click on the start icon in the very bottom left of the screen you say that nothing happens?  You don't have a menu appear listing a bunch of things, including "shut down or sign out" at the bottom of that menu list?
No, Mark.  When I right click the Start icon, nothing appears at all.  I didn't think about Ctrl Alt Del, so let me go try that right now.  Be back soon.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Bill Chambers on Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:41 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Mark, CTRL ALT DEL did the trick. it shut down like it's supposed to.

Before I tried that, I tried the Start icon again. When I put the Mouse on the icon, it changed shade like always (so it did sense the mouse) but nothing happened, no menu came up. When right clicked, again, nothing happened, no menu, no nothing.

Thanks for the CTRL ALT DEL reminder, I don't know why I didn't think of that.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by ChrisRoss on Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:05 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
You can also left click the icon and it opens up the menu, bottom item is power click that and you can choose shutdown/restart/sleep
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:50 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If it's just completely unresponsive as you are indicating, the final option is to hold the power button on your computer case down intul it shuts down. A terrible wat to shut-down but sometimes, fortunately this is very rare, it's the only remaining remedy.

10 posts |