All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by DChan on Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:38 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Capture One will increase the price on Jan 11 :(

The above does not show the price for Capture One Pro (for Every Camera) perpetual license.

by WJaekel on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:47 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I've been using every version of CaptureOne since ver1 and had also preordered the upgrade from C20 to C21 in 2020 for the discount though they had not offered any specific info on new features and changes for months - just a teaser video. Definitely a questionable business practice but I had trusted them because of the good record in the past  Compared to V12, V20 has a number of useful concepts and features. But the V20 -> V21 upgrade is indeed very underwhelming and not worth the upgrade price, IMO, not to mention the "premium" for European customers from a Danish company.

CaptureOne still is a great program but the company is getting greedier with time. Even Adobe has not increased the price for their Photographic Plan for years (though they tried once). It seems to me, that with the split from Phase One, the innovation path, quality control, and technical support, that particularily was was responsive and competent in the past, all got significantly worse. So I learnt the lesson and will not upgrade unseen again. I don't mind paying a premium price for a premium product. However, if they continue to increase the price every year without keeping up with innovations and improvements or even switch completely to the subcription route, I will continue with my present perpetual version as long as possible. That said, the existing version will not get any update after 1 year and new cameras will not be supported. So I maybe will have to look elsewhere in the future - after decades using C1.

Wolfgang

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
WJaekel wrote:I've been using every version of CaptureOne since ver1 and had also preordered the upgrade from C20 to C21 in 2020 for the discount though they had not offered any specific info on new features and changes for months - just a teaser video. Definitely a questionable business practice but I had trusted them because of the good record in the past  Compared to V12, V20 has a number of useful concepts and features. But the V20 -> V21 upgrade is indeed very underwhelming and not worth the upgrade price, IMO, not to mention the "premium" for European customers from a Danish company.

CaptureOne still is a great program but the company is getting greedier with time. Even Adobe has not increased the price for their Photographic Plan for years (though they tried once). It seems to me, that with the split from Phase One, the innovation path, quality control, and technical support, that particularily was was responsive and competent in the past, all got significantly worse. So I learnt the lesson and will not upgrade unseen again. I don't mind paying a premium price for a premium product. However, if they continue to increase the price every year without keeping up with innovations and improvements or even switch completely to the subcription route, I will continue with my present perpetual version as long as possible. That said, the existing version will not get any update after 1 year and new cameras will not be supported. So I maybe will have to look elsewhere in the future - after decades using C1.

Wolfgang

I agree with you. I decided to go with the subscription route for the next year because it was $166 CDN versus $309 for the upgrade from V20 to V21. But I'm starting to look at other options too. I tend to use Topaz products for noise reduction and sharpening on tough images, so losing Capture One is not the end, but it will be painful to lose all my edits if I go to a different package. However, all imaging software seems to get better over time and maybe losing those virtual edits is not as bad as I think. 
I'm playing around with DXO Photolab at present on a trial period.

by WJaekel on Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:02 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
DxO Photolab is very good and close to CaptureOne, IMO. I'm using Topaz products, too. Nevertheless I would regret to jump ship after such a long time. But I won't pay an increasing premium price for the upgrade every year if the progress and features don't justify the costs anymore. So I will wait what the next upgrade brings to the table and how their price policy will further develop. At least, I'm not forced to upgrade from C21 as long as my current cameras are supported. But if the gap between price and features continue to widen even further in the future while other products catch up or get better at a reasonable price, there's certainly time to consider a switch.
See also https://bythom.com/newsviews/capture-one-pricing.html

Wolfgang

4 posts |