Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Aaron Jors on Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:22 am
Aaron Jors
Forum Contributor
I had a recent incident that made me question how I back up my files.  My current setup is 2 internal hard drives setup in RAID and then 3 external hard drives; one located by my computer, one in a fireproof safe, and the third offsite.  I randomly manually update the external hard drives by deleting all the files on them and copying/pasting all current files from the internal drive.

The incident involved me accidentally deleting all my photos on the internal drives.  Not a huge deal since I have the backups.  However since I randomly back up the external drives and had been slacking on this I lost about a months worth of work organizing, processing photos etc.

So this incident has prompted 2 questions;

RAID configuration -  With my recent incident the RAID configuration didn’t help since when I accidentally deleted the folder everything was deleted from both RAID drives.  This makes me question how much value is in the RAID configuration other than one of the drives failing.  I feel a better solution would be having 2 drives and setting up an automated backup to one of the drives.  This eliminates making the same error on both drives like I did and also provides a second internal backup regularly updated in case one drive fails.

Automated Backup -  I need to find a way to automate the backup of files so recently edited files/changes are done as they happen.  Also the time it is starting to take to deleted and recopy all files to the external drive is becoming cumbersome (4-5 hours).  What are others using for automated backup?  It appears windows has a file backup option does anyone use this?
http://www.aaroncjors.com

by Alan Melle on Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:18 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
Rather than deleting all the files on them and copying/pasting all current files from the internal drive I recommend using Synchtoy 2 (or Goodsynch) to echo the main storage drive to your backup storage drive. You can also do the backup to your external storage drives the same way. With synchtoy 2 just make sure you use the echo option rather than synchronize or contribute. This is vastly quicker than your current method.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by aolander on Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:14 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
Another recommendation for GoodSync. Deleting and recopying is unnecessary.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:42 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I have a raid unit but also use large external drives, one stored offsite. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to do the backups. It creates a 'safety" net if you deleted something you didn't want to, and you can schedule backups. It will also email you if you like to tell you the backup was successful.

by Langsey on Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:02 pm
Langsey
Forum Contributor
I put in my vote for goodsync.
John Langsenkamp
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0077[/url]

by Ed Cordes on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:02 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Sorry to learn of your problem Aaron. I learned a long time ago that RAID is not a good back up solution. In addition to the issue you reported RAID will also automatically copy any errors, corruptions or other bad stuff that gets on your primary drive. I, too, use Goodsync to backup regularly to external drives, then back that up to yet another external that is stored at a colleague's office. I update the off site back up when ever I do something major or every 3 months which ever is first. I should probably do this more often.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:12 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Raid 5 for operating storage disk. Backed up to a second raid 5 drive with roll back using Genie pro. The roll back feature allows you to go back to a version before the file became corrupted. This is then backed up periodically to two large single disks. One stored off site in fire proof data safe and the other stored on site in fire proof data safe. Knock on wood.

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:15 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I just hook up an external drive and drag all the files over to it. I do this once a month with two drives. One stays at home and the other is stored offsite.

In between backups, I backup to a flash drive.

I've been doing this for decades with no problems.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

8 posts |