Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Aaron Jors on Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:07 pm
Aaron Jors
Forum Contributor
So I accidentally deleted my Photography folder with all my photos in them on my main drive.  I meant to delete my backup drive but due a change in naming on my new computer deleted the wrong folder.  Thankfully I have all the RAW files but his error will cost me a lot of time since I had quite a few images processed.

When I deleted the folder it was to large for the recycle bin so it is not in there.  It prompts you to select permanently delete which I did.

Is there any hope of recovering the folder or files in an easy and cost efficient manner?  Mainly it would be helpful to recover the .psb files that have been processed.

Thanks.
http://www.aaroncjors.com

by signgrap on Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:17 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
If you still have your backup folder on your backup drive and it is relatively current you should be able to populate your main photo folder with your backup files. Or am I missing something?
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Aaron Jors wrote:So I accidentally deleted my Photography folder with all my photos in them on my main drive.  I meant to delete my backup drive but due a change in naming on my new computer deleted the wrong folder.  Thankfully I have all the RAW files but his error will cost me a lot of time since I had quite a few images processed.

When I deleted the folder it was to large for the recycle bin so it is not in there.  It prompts you to select permanently delete which I did.

Is there any hope of recovering the folder or files in an easy and cost efficient manner?  Mainly it would be helpful to recover the .psb files that have been processed.

Thanks.
Even a "permanent deletion" isn't permanent unless the drive has been wiped or overwritten so if you have written nothing to it, data recovery software should be able to get back all of the files but probably not the folder structure.  Getting things off of a backup would be a whole lot easier.

by Aaron Jors on Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:06 pm
Aaron Jors
Forum Contributor
Thanks guys.  I was able to recover some of the .psd files using the windows recovery tool but am missing a handful.  The common denominator for the missing ones seems to be they are larger panos.

E.J the .psd files are not on the backup that is the issue.  I had processed them but had not backed them up yet.  Worst case I have to reprocess them but I would rather not spend the time doing that if I don't have to.  Is there a reasonably priced and easy to use file recover software that you would suggest?  

It seems the files are still there since the windows recovery tool was successful with some of them.  I am not sure why it found some but not the others.
http://www.aaroncjors.com

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:22 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I've had good luck recovering images with this https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download and this https://www.lc-tech.com/pc/sandisk-resc ... rescuepro/

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by OntPhoto on Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:23 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I have a  question about recovering files from a HDD that failed some 8+ years ago if not longer.  I took it to a local retailer and they were able to recover some files but the names of the files had changed.  Ex.  Original IMG_0002 and after recovery it is under another file name. Say, 0000021002.xxx Why is that?  The file is recoverable but under a different file name.  

That external HDD was external and kind of died almost out of the box.  Sad thing is I backed up many files from a failing internal HDD (or to make more room on the internal HDD, I forget now sinced it's been so long now), delted all the files from the internal HDD and the external one fails.  The retailer was able to recover some files - maybe 10%.  I think it was taking too long and they just aborted the recovery operation. I didn't want to pay $1,000 to some legit place to do the recovery at the time but have money now, so may consider getting it done professionally one day.

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:56 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

When you intentionally delete a file name, first letter of the file is replaced with a question mark, so bird.jpg becomes ?ird.jpg. But if the file name was also corrupted in the crash, the recovery software probably created its own unique name for each corrupted file name.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by mikeojohnson on Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:02 pm
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
I use Carbon Copy Cloner.
Nightly any changes on the "current" files are automatically updated to a backup raid 5. (the advantage of raid 5 is one of the drives can fail and the raid will rebuild itself without data loss which prevents one of the points of potential failure.)
Weekly the raid5 backup is backed up to another raid.
Periodically, usually after a week or two has gone by, the raid5 backs up to an NAS located in an air conditioned storage room in my garage.
After the NAS backup I use Backblaze to backup to the cloud.

So, I have multiple copies over a two or three week time frame. This helps prevent corrupted files from wiping my info.
CCC is a cool app that is fast as it just backs up (deleting and adding) changes.

This setup manages about 14 TB of data.

At any point in time there are 4 sets of backups of different generations.

Anal, I know.
Mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

8 posts |