« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 31 posts | 
by dbolt on Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:32 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
Computer is PC running Win10 20H2, 32G mem, i7 CPU, 1070 GPU.  PS is ver 22.1.

As soon as I click on Select/Subject, PS reboots.  I followed a suggestion via Google to uncheck OpenCL in preferences/Performance/Advance Settings video/OpenCL, but that didn't prevent rebooting.  I'm not certain, but I think the issue started with ver 22.1.  Anyone else observed this behavior with PS, or should I start looking for a local issue with my hardware?
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by merlinator on Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:27 pm
merlinator
Forum Contributor
Have you tried resetting your Photoshop preferences?

Step 1: Open The Preferences Dialog Box. In Photoshop CC, Adobe has added a new option for resetting the preferences. ...
Step 2: Choose "Reset Preferences On Quit" ...
Step 3: Choose "Yes" To Delete The Preferences When Quitting. ...
Step 4: Close And Relaunch Photoshop.
Roy

by dbolt on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:28 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your help, Roy.

I had to look around the Preferences for the Reset option (for some reason I started at the bottom), but I finally found it. So I accepted the Reset option, relaunched PS, loaded an image, choose Select/Subject, and PS almost immediately rebooted.

doug
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by merlinator on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:51 am
merlinator
Forum Contributor
Sorry about that Doug. Have you gone to the adobe support website, https://community.adobe.com/? If you ask your question there you may get an answer to your problem.
Roy

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Before doing anything else, delete your Photoshop preferences file but first save your workspace so that you can quickly get PS back to working and looking the way you are used to. there are a number of ways to delete the preferences file, a simple Google search will show you the right way to do it for your version. In most cases launching PS while holding down the Ctrl-Alt and Shift keys will do it but there are other methods.

by dbolt on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:06 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
merlinator wrote:Sorry about that Doug.  Have you gone to the adobe support website, https://community.adobe.com/?  If you ask your question there you may get an answer to your problem.
Thanks again, Roy.  I found on the Adobe website several post reporting a similar error, but I did not find much about a solution.  Maybe I don't know what to look for.  

I updated the Studio driver for Nvidia 1070 and updated windows.  Tested Object Selection Tool.  The system crashed when I formed a rectangle around a face in a .tif file. 
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by dbolt on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:19 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Before doing anything else, delete your Photoshop preferences file but first save your workspace so that you can quickly get PS back to working and looking the way you are used to.  there are a number of ways to delete the preferences file, a simple Google search will show you the right way to do it for your version.  In most cases launching PS while holding down the Ctrl-Alt and Shift keys will do it but there are other methods.
Google provided the same instruction to select Choose Reset Preferences on Quit as [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]offered by Roy above.  Incidentally, I wish I was aware of your recommendation to save the workspace before using the General/Reset Preferences on Quit method because I had to recreate my workspace etc.  But, it looks better now.[/font]

I have tried several other approaches to fix the problem, including changing driver for the Nvidia 1070 GTX from Game to Studio. Not sure which I should be using, but Subject still crashes the PC.

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]To see if disabling the GPU in Preferences/Advance, I again made a rectangle around a face in a tiff file and the system immediately rebooted.  Am I correct in concluding that the GPU is not the problem?[/font]
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You may actually have a memory problem with your system. You may need to run some memory diagnostics. There is a utility that I have but it isn't on the system I'm on. When I get on my production system I'll try to find it. It runs prior to the OS loading so no OS or app is involved. I had a similar problem with Capture One several months ago and after pulling my hair out, I ran these memory diagnostics and sure enough I had a bad memory module. It generally only showed up in C1. In your case it could be someplace that PS goes to in memory where there is a problem. Replacing the memory module solved the problem.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Here is a direct link to the Memtest86 download: https://www.memtest86.com/downloads/memtest86-usb.zip

Before starting: If you need to keep the current content of your USB drive, back it up before you start. This process will overwrite the USB drive selected, so remove any other removable drives on the system to reduce the likelihood of mistakes.

Extract the contents of the zip archive to a new folder.
After extraction, run the imageUSB.exe utility.
In the "Step 1" section, select the USB drive that you would like to use.
In the "Step 2" section, "Write image to USB drive" should be selected.
In the "Step 3" section, the path should be set to the "memtest86-usb.img" file that you extracted earlier.
In the "Step 4" section, click Write and it will then begin applying the memtest image to the USB drive.

After this process is complete, your flash drive should now have a bootable copy of Memtest. Restart your computer with the drive plugged in, and interrupt the boot process using the F8 key. You should then see your flash drive as a boot option, select it and Memtest should load up and begin.  

by dbolt on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:58 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Here is a direct link to the Memtest86 download: https://www.memtest86.com/downloads/memtest86-usb.zip

Before starting: If you need to keep the current content of your USB drive, back it up before you start. This process will overwrite the USB drive selected, so remove any other removable drives on the system to reduce the likelihood of mistakes.

Extract the contents of the zip archive to a new folder.
After extraction, run the imageUSB.exe utility.
In the "Step 1" section, select the USB drive that you would like to use.
In the "Step 2" section, "Write image to USB drive" should be selected.
In the "Step 3" section, the path should be set to the "memtest86-usb.img" file that you extracted earlier.
In the "Step 4" section, click Write and it will then begin applying the memtest image to the USB drive.

After this process is complete, your flash drive should now have a bootable copy of Memtest. Restart your computer with the drive plugged in, and interrupt the boot process using the F8 key. You should then see your flash drive as a boot option, select it and Memtest should load up and begin.  
EJ,

Thanks again for your time and attention towards the solution to this issue.

Memtest finished this morning after finding no errors, at least none that seem apparent to me from the above three iPhone pics of the screen.  

I don't know how to interrupt my experience with the CPU test. I tried to run the CPU test on ONe CPU (the stared option), but I did not hit the right key to get it started, or something because I could not initiate the test. So, I selected All CPU and hit S (the PC has only one CPU, but 4/8 cores). The PC immediately rebooted.

I hope these results will help you diagnose the issue. Maybe some other issues I've noticed with this PC will be helpful. I have updated versions of most Topaz programs. All work as expected on my Macbook Air (as long as one does not expect speed), and most run fine on my PC, but DeNoise AI reboots my PC as soon as I hit Update, and it starts Generating info. I have been working with Eric at Topaz (who has spent way more time troubleshooting the issue than I would expect, given the problem is not common among other DeNoise users). With Eric's advice, I've tweaked the registry, tweaked the Nvidia control panel, and made numerous changes in DeNoise preferences, all without reliable success.  

doug
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It's just the memory test you need to worry about. You'd have much bigger problems if the CPU was bad. OK, so now we have ruled out system memory. At this point I would suggest a complete removal of Photoshop using the Adobe utility to completely remove it rather than an uninstall which leaves all sorts of stuff behind. You would need to make sure you first deactivate CC on the machine or it may not let you back in after you reinstall from scratch. Between the uninstall and the install, you would have to also do a registry clean, do it a few times. Then a hard reboot (complete power down of the system). Then a reinstall.

by dbolt on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:17 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It's just the memory test you need to worry about.  You'd have much bigger problems if the CPU was bad.  OK, so now we have ruled out system memory.  At this point I would suggest a complete removal of Photoshop using the Adobe utility to completely remove it rather than an uninstall which leaves all sorts of stuff behind.  You would need to make sure you first deactivate CC on the machine or it may not let you back in after you reinstall from scratch.  Between the uninstall and the install, you would have to also do a registry clean, do it a few times.  Then a hard reboot (complete power down of the system).  Then a reinstall.
EJ,

I contacted Adobe via Chat to help with Deactivating PS before removing PS.  Seems PS 22.1.0 does not list deactivate under HELP.  First level support transferred me to a tech to work on the root cause, rather than helping me remove the PS.  The tech removed all my Adobe products and reinstalled PS.  The new install didn't reboot as quickly, but using the Object/Select tool still rebooted.  He concluded the issue was with the Nvidia 1070 GTX GPU.  He unchecked advanced settings in the performance video setting and PS has not rebooted as of now.

I notice when the option to use GPU is checked, Creative Cloud shows that PS 22.1.0 is not compatible.  I have installed 21.2.4, which CC indicates as compatible, but I have not yet determined if PS reboots when looking for a Subject.  It seems to me that the rebooting issue started about the same time that I upgraded to 22.1.  Could be wrong.

I'm not 100% convinced that the GPU is the only issue, but I am going to look for a newer GPU.  I know that you have addressed this question.  I'll search this forum for your thoughts.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  I am reluctant to buy a top-of-the-line GPU to put in a 6 yr old computer.

Thanks again for your help.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
That sounds like a simple update to the graphics driver, which is probably coming in the next few weeks should solve the problem. NVidia is really good about fixing their drivers when compatibility issues arise.

by dbolt on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:36 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:That sounds like a simple update to the graphics driver, which is probably coming in the next few weeks should solve the problem.  NVidia is really good about fixing their drivers when compatibility issues arise.
I have used both the gaming and studio video drivers and check for updates frequently.  I don't have an opinion yet on Studio vs Gaming, but I've read arguments for each.  The reboot issue occurs with both drivers.  I'm currently running a Studio driver released 12/15.  

Currently, the workaround is to uncheck Use GPU in preferences/performance.  But, I've had a few reboots with that setting too.  I wonder if The Nvidia 1070 GTX is faulty.  Do you have a suggestion for an app to test the GPU?
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
dbolt wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:That sounds like a simple update to the graphics driver, which is probably coming in the next few weeks should solve the problem.  NVidia is really good about fixing their drivers when compatibility issues arise.
I have used both the gaming and studio video drivers and check for updates frequently.  I don't have an opinion yet on Studio vs Gaming, but I've read arguments for each.  The reboot issue occurs with both drivers.  I'm currently running a Studio driver released 12/15.  

Currently, the workaround is to uncheck Use GPU in preferences/performance.  But, I've had a few reboots with that setting too.  I wonder if The Nvidia 1070 GTX is faulty.  Do you have a suggestion for an app to test the GPU?
Unfortunately I don't.  One thing you could do though to test if it's the graphics card is to take it out of the system.  All Intel processors have Intel embedded graphics so the system will start to use that (usually called Iris graphics or perhaps Intel embedded graphics depending on your CPU).  The graphics will be slower but would allow you to at least see if it still happens. 

by dbolt on Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:18 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Excellent suggestions. And, much cheaper than buying a new GPU only to find out the GPU is not the problem.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by Phil Shaw on Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:43 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
A lot of people are having problems with the most recent release of Photoshop. I haven't experienced the problem that you are having - in my case I wasn't able on occasion to save files; some files would not open; some weird brush behaviour. Like you, I up-dated my GPU driver, dumped my Photoshop preference file etc, to no avail. I found a workaround for the file not save issue, which was to switch off all layers in the image except the background layer, then save - this worked. On re-opening the file you then have to switch on all the layers if you want to continue to work on the file. Then I noticed that I was only having problems with files which were stored on my (Photoshop) working drive. This is a relatively new 1Tb Samsung ssd with plenty of space, but the file system is formatted as exfat. After moving those files that I want to work on to an NTFS-formatted drive, I've not had any more problems. This may just be coincidence, but I notice that many of the folks having these sorts of problems are working on Macs (exfat file system), or external drives (which could be formatted as exfat). So the upshot - try moving the file you are trying to edit to a different drive and see if the behaviour persists or not. More magic than science, but it has worked for me.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by dbolt on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:59 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Phil & EJ.

I spent a couple of hours today on a chat with a different Adobe support person. The Adobe agent I worked with on Monday said the rebooting problem was the 1070 GPU. I was not convinced but it seemed a logical thing to test using EJ's suggestion to remove the 1070 GPU so PS would be forced to run on the generic internal Intel 4600 generic GPU. The first test failed, so I contacted Adobe. The agent wanted to see the problem and asked to take over my PC. In summary, PS 22.1 and PS 21.4.2 both crashed when using either the Subject selection tool or the Select pull-down/Subject. Otherwise, PS seems to work fine. I spent about 10 hr working on images over the weekend, just didn't use the Subject feature. The tech today concluded that my PC has a configuration issue. And that I should update Windows. Of course, that happens automatically, but I forced an update and found no new updates. She then said to do a clean install. Maybe that would solve it, but it also seems likely to me that PS may have a bug. The thought of a clean OS install does not appeal to me.

Question: I have upgraded Win10 Pro from 1803 to 19??, etc, and now to 20H2. Each upgrade used a thumb drive with the installation set to save all my files and data. Would you recommend I do a clean install of Win10? I certainly do not want to do a clean install, unless that is the only way to solve the problem. I suppose the relevant question is: Do you have suggestions for apps I could use to better troubleshoot the issue? Memory tested fine with Memtest. All Adobe products were removed and reinstalled on Monday. The Nvidia driver is dated 12/15/20. I see nothing in the Event Viewer that seems helpful, at least not to my untrained eyes.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Uninstall and as I stated earlier, use the Adobe uninstall utility that you have to download, not the Windows facility which does not uninstall the stugf that usually causes these problems. Also, do a couple of registry cleans after the uninstall. :(

by dbolt on Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:36 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
EJ,

The first Adobe tech reinstalled Photoshop, but he did it by first renaming Adobe folders in ProgramFiles, PF 86, Program Data, and Common files (sorry for the names, I'm on a Mac now) with Explorer. But, he did not clean the registry or reboot before reinstalling PS, Bridge, and ACR.

Nice Christmas eve project for me.

Thanks again for you assistance.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

31 posts |