Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:01 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I use Norton 360.  What are other ways to supplement something like Norton 360 against viruses, malware, attacks on your computer?  

I read that you shouldn't open filse you are not familair with but would an anti-virus software not detect something like this and stop it before it can do damage?  

by DChan on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:26 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Your Norton 360 does not do real-time online monitoring? Is that a paid version?

by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:45 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:Your Norton 360 does not do real-time online monitoring? Is that a paid version?
It should.  Yes, paid annually. I ask beacuse people sometimes use an extra physical barrier (router?) to keep bad things out.  I did Google after posting and it seems to be the best out there. So, I am OK.  Kapersky has less false posities but Norton 360 detects a bit more malware than Kapersky based on the report I read.  The two are very close for malware detection.  My new Dell PC arrived today.  Time to port over Photoshop CS6 and Norton 360. Bye bye Windows 7.  It was nice knowing you.  

by DChan on Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:05 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
DChan wrote:Your Norton 360 does not do real-time online monitoring? Is that a paid version?
It should.  Yes, paid annually. I ask beacuse people sometimes use an extra physical barrier (router?) to keep bad things out.  I did Google after posting and it seems to be the best out there. So, I am OK.  Kapersky has less false posities but Norton 360 detects a bit more malware than Kapersky based on the report I read.  The two are very close for malware detection.  My new Dell PC arrived today.  Time to port over Photoshop CS6 and Norton 360. Bye bye Windows 7.  It was nice knowing you.  
I think for a while it's between BitDefender and Kapersky back and forth taking up the number 1 and 2 positions in the internet security suite ranking. Norton certainly has improved. Years ago Norton was slow and a resource hog.

by adamsti on Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:27 am
adamsti
Forum Contributor
I think for at least the last 20 years I have used nothing but the built in Windows security. My PC is on 24/7 and always online. Never had any problems.
http://www.timadamsphotography.com

by Jeff Pearl on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:24 am
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
I like Trend Micro - https://www.trendmicro.com

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:34 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I have always hated Norton. It's the first thing I remove from a new computer.

I use AVG AntiVirus and Spybot and I do occasional scans with Panda Free and one or two others.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by OntPhoto on Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:57 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Jeff Colburn wrote:Hi,

I use AVG AntiVirus and Spybot and I do occasional scans with Panda Free and one or two others.

Have Fun,
Jeff
I have heard the stories about it being hard to fully uninstall and that it has a lot of bloatware but I am liking it so far.  I have it installed on all my digitial devices, up to five.  It has a VPN feature. I just want the best anti-virus protection.  The PC comes with a free trial of McAfee but I'll stick with Norton since I already have an annual subscription.  

I have a brand new Dell computer still sitting in the box it came in :-)  Been very busy work-wise and am also out a lot enjoying the outdoors and photography.  Holidays are coming up, so hope to set up the new PC soon. 

by DChan on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:56 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Jeff Colburn wrote:Hi,

Have Fun,
Jeff
I have heard the stories about it being hard to fully uninstall and that it has a lot of bloatware but I am liking it so far.  I have it installed on all my digitial devices, up to five.  It has a VPN feature. I just want the best anti-virus protection.  The PC comes with a free trial of McAfee but I'll stick with Norton since I already have an annual subscription.  
Norton is not the best because there is no "the best" anti-virus program out there. In one year this program may be the better one and the next year it could be something else. Pretty much all the better ones give you the same features, allow you to install them in multiple devices, VPN, etc., and are just as capable as the other ones though may be doing it differently.

Here's a reference:

The best Windows antivirus software for home users 

FWIW I don't use Norton myself.

9 posts |