Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:03 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Woohoo, my new Dell desktop is on the way.  Good for another 10 years hopefully (if my current 10-year old Dell is an indication of quality - I held off from replacing it as long as I could but it reboots a lot on its own now which is why I am getting a new one. Maybe driver issues).  Want to get into video editing too so a modern and faster computer is more suited to the task.  One thing about Dell, computers are not getting any cheaper as the years go by and this one cost me over $2,000 CAD.  Trying to recall but my Dell from 10 years ago was similarly priced. 

by OntPhoto on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:Woohoo, my new Dell desktop is on the way.  Good for another 10 years hopefully (if my current 10-year old Dell is an indication of quality - I held off from replacing it as long as I could but it reboots a lot on its own now which is why I am getting a new one. Maybe driver issues).  Want to get into video editing too so a modern and faster computer is more suited to the task.  One thing about Dell, computers are not getting any cheaper as the years go by and this one cost me over $2,000 CAD.  Trying to recall but my Dell from 10 years ago was similarly priced. 
The new Dell XPS desktop has been sitting in the original shipment box for a few months.  Finally took it out of the box and set it up this week.  TurboTax doesn't run on Win 7.  That did it for me.  Not the countless blue screen shutdowns with the old Dell from 10+ years ago.  Taxes.  

All I can say is Wow.  What took me so long?  Win 10 on the new Dell boots up in seconds!  SSD boot drive.  Shuts down in seconds too.  I had to copy all the passwords over to Win 10.  

Reinstalled Photoshop CS6.  Good thing I kept the serial number for CS5 as the installation asked for it.  It is so fast on new computer.  Same with Faststone Viewer. 

by OntPhoto on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:41 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:Woohoo, my new Dell desktop is on the way.  Good for another 10 years hopefully (if my current 10-year old Dell is an indication of quality - I held off from replacing it as long as I could but it reboots a lot on its own now which is why I am getting a new one. Maybe driver issues).  Want to get into video editing too so a modern and faster computer is more suited to the task.  One thing about Dell, computers are not getting any cheaper as the years go by and this one cost me over $2,000 CAD.  Trying to recall but my Dell from 10 years ago was similarly priced. 
The new Dell XPS desktop has been sitting in the original shipment box for a few months.  Finally took it out of the box and set it up this week.  TurboTax doesn't run on Win 7.  That did it for me.  Not the countless blue screen shutdowns with the old Dell from 10+ years ago.  Taxes.  

All I can say is Wow.  What took me so long?  Win 10 on the new Dell boots up in seconds!  SSD boot drive.  Shuts down in seconds too.  I had to copy all the passwords over to Win 10.  

Reinstalled Photoshop CS6.  Good thing I kept the serial number for CS5 as the installation asked for it.  It is so fast on new computer.  Same with Faststone Viewer. 
Late to Win 10.  I know why my computer boots up so fast.  It is set to Fast Startupm a sort of hibernation mode -- by default.

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode (howtogeek.com)

by OntPhoto on Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:00 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Dang!  Just to save anyone else from a big hassle.  Took forever.  Dell XPS desktop, installing extra RAM.  It comes with these THIN dimm slots and 2 locks tabs, one on either end of the slot.  If only they had instructions.  I spent 30+ minutes trying to install the extra RAM, flipping up the lock closures on either end to secure the memory in the slot.  

Nope, you do not need to touch the locking tab pieces to secure the RAM.  It automatically locks or closes on its own once you have the RAM seated correctly.  The two locking tabs lock or snap close on their own.  If I had known that, I would have just concentrated on seating the RAM module.  Instructions should have read, "Loosen tab on both ends.  Now, seat the RAM module in the slot.  Once it is seated properly, you will know because the two locking tabs on either end of the DIMM slot will automatically lock up."  I did Google but nothing I could find.

Done, now I have 64 GB.  Wish it had been easier.  BTW, love the new PC and Windows 10.  If anyone is still using Win 7 like I did for 11 years, you'll love Win 10.  The shutdown feature is the BEST.  Shuts down in seconds.  You can touch the keyboard or the mouse and it will not start up (like it did on my old Win 7 system).  Boots up again in seconds.  

by Mark L on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:05 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
Next time try searching YouTube for a video of the process.  In my experience I have almost always found multiple videos that collectively show me what I need to know.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat May 01, 2021 2:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
OntPhoto wrote:Dang!  Just to save anyone else from a big hassle.  Took forever.  Dell XPS desktop, installing extra RAM.  It comes with these THIN dimm slots and 2 locks tabs, one on either end of the slot.  If only they had instructions.  I spent 30+ minutes trying to install the extra RAM, flipping up the lock closures on either end to secure the memory in the slot.  

Nope, you do not need to touch the locking tab pieces to secure the RAM.  It automatically locks or closes on its own once you have the RAM seated correctly.  The two locking tabs lock or snap close on their own.  If I had known that, I would have just concentrated on seating the RAM module.  Instructions should have read, "Loosen tab on both ends.  Now, seat the RAM module in the slot.  Once it is seated properly, you will know because the two locking tabs on either end of the DIMM slot will automatically lock up."  I did Google but nothing I could find.

Done, now I have 64 GB.  Wish it had been easier.  BTW, love the new PC and Windows 10.  If anyone is still using Win 7 like I did for 11 years, you'll love Win 10.  The shutdown feature is the BEST.  Shuts down in seconds.  You can touch the keyboard or the mouse and it will not start up (like it did on my old Win 7 system).  Boots up again in seconds.  
Not what you want to hear but these are standard DIMM slots and they have worked that way for at least 20 years :D  You just put the memory module in the slot and then evenly push down until the locks lock them into place.  I think it's like computers and phones and even cameras - they no longer come with manuals or instructions.  They just assume you already know how to do it or will just go to YouTube if you don't.  I used the pandemic to learn how to become a bicycle mechanic.  I used YouTube exclusively to the point where there is essentially nothing I can't do on a bike now including electronic drivetrains and hydraulic disk brakes.

BTW, if you still want the Win 7 interface instead of the tiled Win 10 interface, download the free Power Shell for Windows 10.

by OntPhoto on Sat May 01, 2021 9:24 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:Dang!  Just to save anyone else from a big hassle.  Took forever.  Dell XPS desktop, installing extra RAM.  It comes with these THIN dimm slots and 2 locks tabs, one on either end of the slot.  If only they had instructions.  I spent 30+ minutes trying to install the extra RAM, flipping up the lock closures on either end to secure the memory in the slot.  

Not what you want to hear but these are standard DIMM slots and they have worked that way for at least 20 years :D  You just put the memory module in the slot and then evenly push down until the locks lock them into place.  I think it's like computers and phones and even cameras - they no longer come with manuals or instructions.  They just assume you already know how to do it or will just go to YouTube if you don't.  I used the pandemic to learn how to become a bicycle mechanic.  I used YouTube exclusively to the point where there is essentially nothing I can't do on a bike now including electronic drivetrains and hydraulic disk brakes.

BTW, if you still want the Win 7 interface instead of the tiled Win 10 interface, download the free Power Shell for Windows 10.
Interesting.  Funny, I don't recall that on my 11 year old Dell.  I should open it up and reacquaint myself with it.  Trying to install the RAM got so frustrating I was thinking, 'I can't believe it, I just paid for 32 GB and I can't use it, not until I call Dell tech support.'  Fortunately, I didn't give up and persisted.  On a Dell, if your memory is not seated properly, the power button will flash (yellow and white).  I learned that after I Googled because the PC wouldn't turn.   

I hope like you, many other people are using the pandemic downtime to learn something new.  I have been working from home for over a year now.  Best thing that happened.  Besides not having to fight traffic with a 40 minute commute into work each morning and trying to find a parking spot, I managed to lose over 20 pounds.  I hope to lose another 10 pounds once I start  bicycling.

I learned bicycle mechanics back before they had YouTube.  I'm aging myself.  Didn't have much money and the local bike shop didn't always do a good job.  Why would they?  They have so many bikes to fix so likely did it fast.  Bought a couple of books and purchased a truing stand for the wheels.  

I also had to learn to do-it-myself because I took up long distance cycling.  Montreal to Ottawa in 1 day and then back. Not on some slick bike but a 10-speed Peugeot loaded with stuff on a hot summer day.  If anything happened on the road (a 200km trip one way) I had to be prepared to fix it including any broken spokes, etc.  Don't think I ever had any spokes break because I made sure the bike was in top shape before I left on a long trip.  I slept like a baby that night at a couples house.  Used to bike from Brockville, Ontario to Kingston, Ontario a lot.  Took the late night Via Rail train to Brockville and biked at first light into Kingston.  Play a round of golf with friends.  I was done when night came.  I miss those carefree days and being in great shape.

27 posts |