All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Alan Melle on Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:15 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
Looks like it is finally time to give up on Windows 7 and move to Windows 10. Upgrades to most of the programs I use will no longer run on Windows 7. While I love my current system I think it's best to replace it with a new system rather than trying to upgrade it.
Looking for your thoughts on the following proposed configuration from Puget Systems. TIA

Proposed PC

Case: Fractal Design Define R7 Black
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8GHz Eight Core
Ram: Crucial 64GB DDR4-2666 (4x16GB)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD  (Primary System Drive)
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD  (Backup System Drive)
WD Ultrastar 4TB HDD- 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Platinum 850W Power Supply
CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler
Additional Cooling: Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound Upgrade
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by Mark L on Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:49 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
I am sure that you would be happy with this system.  You might check the Puget articles on how systems "rate" with different software to see what fits best with your use case.  Personally I would be very tempted to switch from Intel to AMD for my next machine.  In addition waiting for a 3000 series graphics card might be worth it; the 3070 sounds like it is going to be a screamer.  

For insurance I put extra cables into my last build so that I could add disks (SSD or HD).  

by Ed Cordes on Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:12 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
My current system is a Puget Systems unit about 1 1/2 years old. It is the second computer I bought from Puget. I think they are great so I am sure you will be very happy with this set up. BTW, my understanding is that LR and PS do not use the graphics card very much. You might ask them if this is correct.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
One major issue with the system as configured is that you are using slow old traditional SSD's which are no longer what you want for system drives. You will want a NVME (also described as an m.2 SSD) drive which would be the Samsung 900 series. It's 10 times as fast. also, why not get a bigger data drive, 4TB is pretty tiny today and it wouldn't cost much more to double that or more.

by Alan Melle on Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:50 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Puget will include all unused cables if the buyer wants them. The comment regarding the SSD's is very helpful so that's a change that should really help. I'll look into a bigger data drive although I plan to install additional drives myself. Thanks again.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by Mark L on Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:13 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
Ask them to run cables for as many extra drives as you expect to install.  That way the system will be clean and ready for your later expansion.  Just getting the cables in a box is only a small part of being setup to add additional drives yourself.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:05 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mark L wrote:Ask them to run cables for as many extra drives as you expect to install.  That way the system will be clean and ready for your later expansion.  Just getting the cables in a box is only a small part of being setup to add additional drives yourself.
That has always been their standard practice for all of the Puget Systems I have bought for me or my clients.

by OntPhoto on Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:19 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Mark L wrote:Ask them to run cables for as many extra drives as you expect to install.  That way the system will be clean and ready for your later expansion.  Just getting the cables in a box is only a small part of being setup to add additional drives yourself.
That has always been their standard practice for all of the Puget Systems I have bought for me or my clients.
Just wondering what would be the main differences between Puget and Dell?  Dell is more expensive?

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
OntPhoto wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Just wondering what would be the main differences between Puget and Dell?  Dell is more expensive?
Premium components and an ability to completely customize every aspect of your computer with whatever components you want.  It is definitely not cheaper but it is a much better computer with incredible support.

9 posts |