Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by neverspook on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:30 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I have seen the posts about the clunky way you have to update Topaz on Windows. My question is this: Once you have done that for the relatively newer versions of Topaz (deleting older versions, running CC cleaner etc), can subsequent updates that come out afterwards be done without going through all that again? Is the new installer in place going to just keep working with upcoming updates from within Topaz itself when you get notifications of available updates?

Thanks,
Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by merlinator on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:32 am
merlinator
Forum Contributor
Roberta, maybe I"m an exception but I have had no problems updating my Topaz programs. If I see there is an update I just close all open programs then run the installer. So far no problems.
Roy

by neverspook on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:35 am
neverspook
Forum Contributor
merlinator wrote:Roberta, maybe I"m an exception but I have had no problems updating my Topaz programs.  If I see there is an update I just close all open programs then run the installer.  So far no problems.

Are you using a PC? It seems to be just a Windows issue and not a problem on a Mac. If you are on a PC, you are lucky apparently.

by DChan on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:30 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
neverspook wrote:
merlinator wrote:Roberta, maybe I"m an exception but I have had no problems updating my Topaz programs.  If I see there is an update I just close all open programs then run the installer.  So far no problems.

Are you using a PC? It seems to be just a Windows issue and not a problem on a Mac. If you are on a PC, you are lucky apparently.
Guess I'm another lucky one like merlinator. Just clicked update and the programs (sharpen AI, denoise AI, gigapixel AI) got updated with no incident. Been like that multiple times. Yes, PC with (updated) windows 10. You can be the lucky one, too. Click "yes" to find out :)

by merlinator on Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:07 am
merlinator
Forum Contributor
neverspook wrote:

Yes a PC with win10.
Roy

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:35 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This is only an issue when moving from the original AI programs using a different installer technology to the newer ones which occurred late last year.  There is no issue with subsequent installs after that.  The only thing you need to be wary of is that Topaz programs need to be installed in the administrator account on multi-user, multi log-in computers.  If it is installed in a user account that is not the lowest level administrator account, you will have problems.

For most people that is not an issue but I have worked with a number of people who either have different user accounts for various members of the family or for some unexplicable reason, even on a single user computer, they decided to have a user account after the initial account that the computer was set-up on and if they don't install it in the initial account but rather the later user account, it won't work right.  But again for those that just boot up their computer and don't have to select from different users during the boot up process, this will never be an issue.  this holds true for both Windows and Mac.

by neverspook on Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:25 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:This is only an issue when moving from the original AI programs using a different installer technology to the newer ones which occurred late last year.  There is no issue with subsequent installs after that.  The only thing you need to be wary of is that Topaz programs need to be installed in the administrator account on multi-user, multi log-in computers.  If it is installed in a user account that is not the lowest level administrator account, you will have problems.

For most people that is not an issue but I have worked with a number of people who either have different user accounts for various members of the family or for some unexplicable reason, even on a single user computer, they decided to have a user account after the initial account that the computer was set-up on and if they don't install it in the initial account but rather the later user account, it won't work right.  But again for those that just boot up their computer and don't have to select from different users during the boot up process, this will never be an issue.  this holds true for both Windows and Mac.
Thanks, E.J. That answers my question precisely. :)

7 posts |