Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:43 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I have my copyright info added automatically to my images EXIF data through my camera (Nikon D810), but I have to physically add my business name, my name, address, phone, etc. during RAW conversion in Capture One.  So, I have two questions.

1.  Is there a way to have all this information added automatically through either the camera, Capture One, or PS CS6 (or later)?

2.  Is there any way to make this data "permanent" or where it can only be changed via a password, etc. so that it cannot simply be removed and written over by someone else who grabs an image off the internet?

Many thanks!
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:41 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
There's no real way to do it in the camera unless you use the Copyright field for your name and the artist field for the other info but it's not ideal.
I don't use Capture One as an importer preferring to do it the old fashioned way but I think there is likely a way to do it there. Go to the Phase One Youtube channel and look for a video about importing images.

by Bill Chambers on Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:52 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:There's no real way to do it in the camera unless you use the Copyright field for your name and the artist field for the other info but it's not ideal.
I don't use Capture One as an importer preferring to do it the old fashioned way but I think there is likely a way to do it there.  Go to the Phase One Youtube channel and look for a video about importing images.
Thanks, E.J.

I saw this last night but couldn't respond because my cat was sleeping halfway on the keyboard.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by EGrav on Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:58 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Bill Chambers wrote:I have my copyright info added automatically to my images EXIF data through my camera (Nikon D810), but I have to physically add my business name, my name, address, phone, etc. during RAW conversion in Capture One.  So, I have two questions.

1.  Is there a way to have all this information added automatically through either the camera, Capture One, or PS CS6 (or later)?

2.  Is there any way to make this data "permanent" or where it can only be changed via a password, etc. so that it cannot simply be removed and written over by someone else who grabs an image off the internet?

Many thanks!

Look up making a preset at import into C1. You have to add the info at the import stage once, save that as a preset. Then every time you import images into C1, use that preset.
I don’t know the exact steps because I don’t use presets upon import, but I am pretty sure that’s how to do it.
Good luck.

by Bill Chambers on Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:59 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Excellent. Will do. Like, E.J., I've never used the import function of C1, but it looks like I will be in the future.

Thank you.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Bill Chambers on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. and EGrav - I have watched some C1 tutorials but C1 doesn't seem to allow what I want. It does allow you to put your copyright info and a description into metadata through Import, but that's all.

I guess I'll just have to continue to use "File Info" in PS but that takes an inordinate amount of time when you have to do it for every image. Of course, some info changes with every image, but for the basic info, I wish there was a way to have it pre-filled, and a way to somehow protect it with a password so it couldn't be erased by anyone who wants to.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Bill Chambers on Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:31 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
archfotos wrote:I realize you are asking about exif info, but when dealing with the internet why not just place a copyright watermark on the images you place online.  Even tastefully small will give you a better standing ground should you ever decide to pursue any legal matters in regards to unauthorized use.
I do place a copyright on everything I post online, but they can remove removed pretty easily in most cases.  Plus, I never post a high res image online, only low res, but I just like the idea that all of my personal data be of the file itself as well.  The only problem there is that my data can be easily removed from the metadata as well.  It seems that there would be someway to make that info changeable or deletable only with a proper password, but I haven't found anyway to do that as yet.

Thanks for your response though.  Take care.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by EGrav on Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:49 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Low Rez images no longer offer any protection. Programs like Topaz Gigapixel AI defeat that approach. Our options seem to be: accept theft of images; don’t post any images; or put BIG (and ugly) watermarks on our images. Watermarks can be defeated but big, nasty ones will discourage those that don’t want to spend a lot of time on them.
My 3 cents opinion.
YMMV

Last edited by EGrav on Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

by ChrisRoss on Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:14 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Bill Chambers wrote:E.J. and EGrav - I have watched some C1 tutorials but C1 doesn't seem to allow what I want.  It does allow you to put your copyright info and a description into metadata through Import, but that's all.  

I guess I'll just have to continue to use "File Info" in PS but that takes an inordinate amount of time when you have to do it for every image.  Of course, some info changes with every image, but for the basic info, I wish there was a way to have it pre-filled, and a way to somehow protect it with a password so it couldn't be erased by anyone who wants to.

Bill,

in CS6 just record your keystrokes as an action and save the action and it will automatically add everything to your images.  You can add anything you do through typing.  If you want you can also have it open the dialog box and wait for you to type or you can stop recording the action with the input box you need still open and type away and click OK.

I have actions for saving for web which does the downsizing and basic sharpening even adding © notice to the image and I have it enter some data in file info as well. 

You can assign it a hot key if desired or bring up the action panel and click go. 
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Bill Chambers on Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:20 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thanks Chris, that may indeed solve part of the problem, but the more perplexing issue is how to make the information permanent so that others with PS cannot just erase me information and replace it with theirs. It seems like PS would offer a password option that would offer more protection for the data.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by mlgray12 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:06 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
Probably you all know this but LR allows you to build preset to enter all the data I think you are talking about during import
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by Bill Chambers on Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:16 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
mlgray12 wrote:Probably you all know this but LR allows you to build preset to enter all the data I think you are talking about during  import
Actually, i didn't know that since I don't use Lightroom, but i will look into it. Thank you!
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

12 posts |