Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by richard bledsoe on Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:49 am
richard bledsoe
Forum Contributor
Joe posted this link about critical flaws being patched in Adobe software.
https://petapixel.com/2020/07/22/adobe-just-patched-several-critical-flaws-in-photoshop-update-asap/

The safest and best Adobe update is completely eliminating their software from your computer. YMMV but it works for me. Take a look at the various Adobe apps running services on your PC, an amazing collection of crap.

Affinity Photo takes some work to learn but is a capable photoshop substitute. Capture one for RAW conversion if you don't like the included converter in Affinity.

Rant over.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:14 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Could not agree more!!!

by DOglesby on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:34 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Does Affinity have good luminance masking and selection capabilities?
Cheers,
Doug

by richard bledsoe on Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:32 am
richard bledsoe
Forum Contributor
DOglesby wrote:Does Affinity have good luminance masking and selection capabilities?

Doug, yes it does, my advice in hindsight is to use the tutorial videos to help understand the differences between how Affinity and P-Shop do things. There is a learning curve but in my opinion it's worth it. For example I'm doing some focus stacking in Affinity and although the outputted image is very good, there is also built in easy to use correction for defects. Quicker and easier to use than Zerene Stacker by far.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
DOglesby wrote:Does Affinity have good luminance masking and selection capabilities?
Yes and also, most Photoshop plug-ins are now directly compatible.

by DavidSutton on Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:03 pm
DavidSutton
Forum Contributor
I've heard good reports about Affinity.
I switched to Capture 1 for processing Fuji files but still use Lightroom 6 for printing and Photoshop CS6 for the heavy lifting. I can't see any improvement in the later versions that's worth the trouble of going to subscription.
On my Windows 7 OS, LR and Photoshop no longer can report home or run extra services by adding a suffix to the DynamicLinkMediaServer in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Helpers" and OOBE in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe". The Creative Cloud and AAM Updater are disabled.
David Sutton

6 posts |