Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Craig Lipski on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:04 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
Hi all,
About a month ago I got 2 identical laptops; what's scaring me is that I'm having this problem on ONE of the machines.  Lenovo P53, Win10 Pro, 32Gb RAM, 9th Gen i7, NVIDIA Quadro T2000.  The problem: I select a file from PS CC Bridge, double click it to open it in ACR, and everything works as expected EXCEPT that the crop tool is slow, jerky, unresponsive, inaccurate, basically FUBAR.  On ONE of the machines.  I tried resetting preferences, when that didn't help, since I first noticed this after a Topaz update, I went crazy; I uninstalled the Topaz stuff, (following E.J's directions,) then uninstalled Photoshop itself, (since the problem is in ACR,) cleaned the registry, restarted, cleaned the registry again, downloaded PS and Topaz (DeNoise and Sharpen).  The Topaz stuff is fine, but I'm still having the problem with cropping in ACR.  I can always crop later in PS, but this isn't right, and I'm afraid it's a symptom of a larger problem.  BTW, I poked around in the Device Manager, (I'm new to Win10,) I found Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA Quadro T2000 - If I double click on either of them the Device Status is "This device is working properly."  I don't remember how I stumbled into the tool, but I *think* I found that all drivers are up to date.  My WiFi is so terrible that auto updates are a real crap shoot.
Thanks in advance.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
When you uninstalled the Adobe stuff, did you use Adobe's clean uninstall tool? If not, all of the regsitry entries and system level interaction files did not get deleted or reinstalled:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/ ... blems.html

by Craig Lipski on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:32 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
E.J. Peiker wrote:When you uninstalled the Adobe stuff, did you use Adobe's clean uninstall tool?  If not, all of the regsitry entries and system level interaction files did not get deleted or reinstalled:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/ ... blems.html
Ugh - Thanks, E.J.  I’m going to have to read that thirty times to maybe get my head around it.  

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Basically Adobe assumes that you really didn't want to remove it completely using the normal uninstall protocols in Windows. To truly remove it which is the only way you can be sure that whatever the problem is, you ahve to use their removal tool. If after that it still doesn't work, we'll have to start turning off GPU acceleration which will hurt performance...

by Craig Lipski on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:45 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
I’m confused as to why this is a problem on just one machine; I’ve tried it with 10MB-ish files (as opposed to the usual 30+ I’m currently shooting), and it made little to no difference. And, again, this started after a couple of weeks of working flawlessly. Does the fact that I can easily crop immediately after moving from ACR to PS mean anything? Would they have different demands on the graphics card?

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Craig Lipski wrote:I’m confused as to why this is a problem on just one machine; I’ve tried it with 10MB-ish files (as opposed to the usual 30+ I’m currently shooting), and it made little to no difference.  And, again, this started after a couple of weeks of working flawlessly.  Does the fact that I can easily crop immediately after moving from ACR to PS mean anything?  Would they have different demands on the graphics card?
Most likely a registry entry that went bad.  I'm not surprised at all.

by Craig Lipski on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Probably a dumb question, but do I need to uninstall the Nik and Topaz plug-ins first, and then re-download those after re-installing CC? (Please keep in mind my bare modicum of computer literacy if describing other “easier” or quicker options).
Thank you, again, for all your help!

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Craig Lipski wrote:Probably a dumb question, but do I need to uninstall the Nik and Topaz plug-ins first, and then re-download those after re-installing CC?  (Please keep in mind my bare modicum of computer literacy if describing other “easier” or quicker options).
Thank you, again, for all your help!
You shouldn't need to.  You will just have to point photoshop back to them in Preferences > Plug-ins

8 posts |