All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by joseph motto on Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:14 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
I was reading E.J.'s recent newsletter and was interested that he recommended charging one's camera batteries every month so as not to risk losing the camera settings and customizations. Does this mean that it is unwise to remove the batteries from your camera if it is not going to be used for several weeks or months? I have seen the damage that leaking AA or AAA batteries can do. Perhaps that is not a concern with standard camera batteries.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:23 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s some info on that subject:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... s/00012769

I always used lithium a or aa batteries in cameras that could use them. I have yet to see a lithium battery corrode like alkaline or others do.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
joseph motto wrote:I was reading E.J.'s recent newsletter and was interested that he recommended charging one's camera batteries every month so as not to risk losing the camera settings and customizations. Does this mean that it is unwise to remove the batteries from your camera if it is not going to be used for several weeks or months? I have seen the damage that leaking AA or AAA batteries can do. Perhaps that is not a concern with standard camera batteries.
Definitely do not remove the batteries.  You will only end up resetting your camera and reducing the life of the internal backup battery.  Alkaline batteries and Lithium Ion batteries are completely different beasts.

by joseph motto on Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:39 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
Live and learn. Thank you both.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:47 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I don't remove the batteries from my cameras unless they won't be used for 6 months or more. I've never had them leak, but I grew up with batteries that leak all the time, so I err on the side of caution.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A lithium ion battery will never leak. When a LiIon battery has a catastrophic failure they get hot and in a worst case scenario catch on fire but this doesn't happen unless it is shorted by something - all batteries can catch on fire in that scenario. It's a completely different chemistry and there is essentially nothing from Alkaline batteries other than the fact that they are a DC power source that carries forward.

6 posts |