Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 19 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:35 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Topaz has a lot of ai add ins.  Assuming you can't afford to buy them all, which are the most useful?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Pretty much depends on your needs. I use Gigapixel, Sharpen, and DeNoise daily. I never use Adjust or Jpeg to Raw - I find them both utterly useless for what I do. Additionally I use some of the modules in Studio regularly.

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:39 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Looks like the the utility bundle gets the 3 you use. Is AI mask a worthwhile addition?

by EGrav on Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Gigapixel, Sharpen, and DeNoise. Mask if you frequently need to do "cut-outs."

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:09 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wildflower-nut wrote:Looks like the the utility bundle gets the 3 you use.  Is AI mask a worthwhile addition?
Yeah, I forgot to mention that one.  I don't use it daily but when I do need to make a really precise mask, that's usually what I turn to.

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:27 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
They used to have AI clear. What happened to it?

by merlinator on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:41 am
merlinator
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:They used to have AI clear.  What happened to it?

It's still available in Topaz denoise.  
Roy

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:54 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It has been incorporated into Denoise AI - there is a button on the right had side of the screen where you can change the program from DeNoise to AI Clear.  Additionally, AI Clear is also in Topaz Studio.

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:24 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Pretty much depends on your needs.  I use Gigapixel, Sharpen, and DeNoise daily.  I never use Adjust or Jpeg to Raw - I find them both utterly useless for what I do.  Additionally I use some of the modules in Studio regularly.

When you say modules in studio, do you mean studio or studio 2?

by signgrap on Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:54 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Studio 2 as I think they have discontinued the free version.
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It's in both the paid version of Studio (but not the free version) and Studio 2

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:34 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It's in both the paid version of Studio (but not the free version) and Studio 2

What is in both the paid versions of studio?

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:38 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You can't get the old one anymore where you paid for all of the additional tools. Studio 2 just includes everything at a fraction of the price of the old one with all of the modules. Just go to the Topaz Labs website to see all of the features. It is a complete photo editing program that can be run stand-alone and can do virtually anything that most people would ever want to do or you can run it as a Photoshop Plug-in.

by WJaekel on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:00 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
It has been incorporated into Denoise AI - there is a button on the right had side of the screen where you can change the program from DeNoise to AI Clear.  Additionally, AI Clear is also in Topaz Studio.
Yes, but as indicated in another thread I, AI Clear in Topaz Studio can cause a slight but evident (greenish) color shift while AI Clear from Denoise does not. In the meantime, I have confirmed this on several of my files converted from Raws into 16bit Prophoto RGB Tiffs with C1 before. So the algorithm or impact of both programs on the color rendition evidentally is different and I mostly use AI Clear from Denoise by now.

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
WJaekel wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Yes, but as indicated in another thread I, AI Clear in Topaz Studio can cause a slight but evident (greenish) color shift while AI Clear from Denoise does not. In the meantime, I have confirmed this on several of my files converted from Raws into 16bit Prophoto RGB Tiffs with C1 before. So the algorithm or impact of both programs on the color rendition evidentally is different and I mostly use AI Clear from Denoise by now.

Wolfgang
I thought they fixed that bug - I always use it in DeNoise so I haven't tested that recently.  Another Studio bug that I run into on occasion and I haven't yet figured out exactly what triggers it since it will happen and then you can redo the exact same steps and it doesn't happen, a slight crop is applied when returning from Studio back into Photoshop.

by Eia on Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:36 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
I own Clear and Denoise. When should Sharpen be used? Is there a big difference with Clear and Sharpen?
~AnnaMaria~

by Cindy Marple on Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:01 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Eia wrote: Is there a big difference with Clear and Sharpen?

In a word, yes.  The sharpen program has different modes to address lack of sharpness due to missed focus or motion blur that Clear does not handle at all.  You can get a 30 day free trial, would be worth checking it out.    
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Mike Danzenbaker on Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:23 am
Mike Danzenbaker
Lifetime Member
Member #:00559
E.J. Peiker wrote:Pretty much depends on your needs.  I use Gigapixel, Sharpen, and DeNoise daily.  I never use Adjust or Jpeg to Raw - I find them both utterly useless for what I do.  Additionally I use some of the modules in Studio regularly.

I'm curious as to what your uses/goals are that you use Gigapixel on a daily basis.  I use either Denoise or Sharpen daily, but have only tried Gigapixel a few times, and on all but two of those times dislike the results enough that I abandon the attempt, even if using a low multiplier like 1.5x.  I've tried applying it both before and after Sharpen/Denoise.  They say on their website that you can push it up to 6x with no noticeable loss in image quality (or words to that effect).  It's puzzling because I like the other tools. 
"Animal instinct is more amazing than human ingenuity."

Mike
http://www.avesphoto.com

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mike Danzenbaker wrote:

I'm curious as to what your uses/goals are that you use Gigapixel on a daily basis.  I use either Denoise or Sharpen daily, but have only tried Gigapixel a few times, and on all but two of those times dislike the results enough that I abandon the attempt, even if using a low multiplier like 1.5x.  I've tried applying it both before and after Sharpen/Denoise.  They say on their website that you can push it up to 6x with no noticeable loss in image quality (or words to that effect).  It's puzzling because I like the other tools. 
It's primarily on shots I took way back in the early 2000's with 4mp cameras and in many cases required cropping.  That one probably not every day but certainly several times a week.  You do have to play with some of the sliders to get it to look good.  I NEVER go over 2x most of the time more like taking an old 2400x1600 shot to 4000x3000.  Within those constraints, it can work really well and certainly much better than just using Photoshop or even something like the old Fractal based enlarger.

19 posts |