« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 55 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I kind of assumed that, but it doesn't allow me that option. "Extend volume" is grayed out. Should I make the unallocated section a "simple volume" first, perhaps?
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Mark L on Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:59 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
I believe that the issue is the way the subsequent sections of the disc are setup.  I don't remember exactly what has to be done to incorporate those sections/free them so that you can extend.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:54 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This should answer all of your questions and provide a solution:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... d%20Volume.

by Bill Chambers on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:58 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
You're correct Mark.

In reading some info posted a couple of weeks back, it says the unallocated section MUST be immediately after the section you want to extend. I'm reading it again to see if I can see how to move the unallocated section to the C: section now.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Looking at your situation, you'll have to delete that 900MB area between C: and the unallocated space. You may also need to format that unallocated space.

by Bill Chambers on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:01 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Looking at your situation, you'll have to delete that 900MB area between C: and the unallocated space.  You may also need to format that unallocated space.
Oh, we must have posted at the same time.  I am rereading the info you posted a couple of weeks ago on extending volume.  Let me finish that and I'll be back.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Bill Chambers on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:07 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
OK, I'm back.

The info you posted earlier (couple of weeks ago) mentioned I could delete the volume in-between as you mentioned, but it also mentioned I might could use a non-microsoft disk partitioning app to move that volume non-destructively. Do you know if Macrium would be considered such an app?
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
There's nothing on that 900MB so it will be much easier just to right click on it and delete is. Then you should be able to increase the partition.

by Bill Chambers on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:46 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Ok. You said there's nothing on it, but it says "Healthy (Recovery Partition) on it. Am I looking at the correct volume?
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Bill Chambers on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:49 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Also, it doesn't give me the option to delete on the 900GB volume. When I right click it, HELP is the only option given. When I click on the volume on the right of Unallocated (899GB), I do get "Delete" as an option however.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Bill Chambers on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:09 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
OK, Total SUCCESS.

I looked online and found a cheap program (EaseUS) which said it could move a volume.  Bought it (just $24, with coupon) and sure enough, it moved and extended C: and the unallocated volume and now I have lots of room.

One question though.  I still have two volumes (900 MB and 899MB).  The 900 MB volume said it was "Healthy (Recovery Partition)" and the 899 MB volume said nothing.  Now both the 900MB and the 899MB volume say nothing.  Is it possible to merge the 899 MB & the 900MB into the C: volume without risk?  It would be nice to have addition space.

Here's the current Computer Management screenshot:
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Mark L on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:42 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
Bill

I believe that the answer to your question is "yes".  You always have the image that you made as well as your old drive if you need to go back for any reason.  

Unless I am missing something you should be good to go.  These days operating systems are generally downloaded for installation instead of using restore partitions.  It is important to have a "recovery" USB stick or DVD that you can boot the machine from to handle repairs and recovery operations.  You should have that from your recent process.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Great news, you are back up and running. I've never run into the problem where it sticks a recovery partition after the primary volume - it's usually in front but you took care of it :) These sorts of things are always a learn as you go proposition and different systems are just different :) But there's always a way to eventually fix it with patience and research. In the process, you learn a lot which will be helpful in the future :)

by Bill Chambers on Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:19 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Just a quick update. Cloned my desktop C: drive using Macrium today. Took about 4 hours to clone it, then I replaced it, set boot priority, and it worked perfectly first time! A huge improvement over cloning the laptop. When I went into Computer Management, I still had the same issue as yesterday with 2 volumes being between the C: volume and the unallocated volume so I had to use EaseUS again to move the partition and extend the volume but it did so without any problems. Life is good once again.

Again, Thank you E.J. and Mark for your help and for being so willing to share your knowledge.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Mark L on Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:48 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
Glad to hear that you are up and running with both machines.

No matter what software/approach you take it will always be necessary to alter the volumes after you clone/transfer the image to a larger disc.

Have a great Holiday!

55 posts |